• the Igloo
Re: Beer!
« Reply #150 on: 03 December, 2016, 06:51:53 pm »
Christmas beer bought  :P

IMG_7843_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ian

« Reply #151 on: 03 December, 2016, 06:58:45 pm »
Some Flat Pack Fruit Bat (Brewdog/Omnipollo), Siren Half Mast, Evil Twin Citra Sunshine Slacker and Even More Better Than Jesus, Northcote Blonde, Bad Co. Summer Breeze Fruit Beer, Cronx Lemon Saison, and Burning Sky Gaston. Pedalling home up that bloody hill was even harder work than usual...

I know, craft beer in Croydon! What's the world coming to. Now I have to drink it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #152 on: 03 December, 2016, 09:32:45 pm »
The Flat Pack Fruit Bat is alright :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #153 on: 03 December, 2016, 09:41:10 pm »
I'm hot and cold on the Omnipollo beers tbh (though I love their can and bottle designs).  Always worth a try though. I liked the Flat Pack Fruit Bat, though I think I prefer the Beavertown Tropigamma.

Currently on the Cronx Lemon Saison which is very good. Croydon residents could do worse than visit the beer shelves in Freshfield Market, a somewhat surreptitious find. I would have bought more but there's several miles of uphill pedaling to get it home and getting the train would be cheating.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #154 on: 03 December, 2016, 10:02:32 pm »
...though I think I prefer the Beavertown Tropigamma...

That was recommended by the barperson in CASC this afternoon, but I thought it was a bit strong for a starter so I had a Cloudwater Ghriette. It was OK, light & easy-going.

« Reply #155 on: 04 December, 2016, 12:33:48 am »
Thomas Hardy's Ale (2008), 11.7%
like christmas pudding in a bottle

ian

« Reply #156 on: 04 December, 2016, 11:40:05 am »
...though I think I prefer the Beavertown Tropigamma...

That was recommended by the barperson in CASC this afternoon, but I thought it was a bit strong for a starter so I had a Cloudwater Ghriette. It was OK, light & easy-going.

They're not exactly lightweight, but the Cloudwater double IPAs are excellent.

For balance, the Siren Half Mast comes in at a lowly 2.8% but was surprisingly tasty (I think I've had it before). A bit like Kernel's Table Beer (also around 3%).

Apparently I've a small case of Flat Pack Fruit Bat in the tender care of Parcel Farce at the moment (they were supposed to re-deliver on Friday, supposed...) And some other stuff. I'm hoping they've put something weird in my Brewdog Beervent, I've had a Santa Paws, Punk IPA, and an Elvis Juice so far.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #157 on: 04 December, 2016, 12:42:58 pm »
I have started on the beer calendar and so far have had:

Expressway - Two Roads
High Wire Grapefruit Pale Ale - Magic Rock
Hipster IPA - Evil Twin
Sister Agnes - Marble

Today's beer is a Boston IPA and I have a Wayniac, a couple of Northern Monk beers and a Sharps IPA, in the fridge.

Of the ones I have already consumed, I would heartily recommend the Sister Agnes, it's an Old Ale with Morello cherries. Not a session ale, most definitely not a Lambic, but just so goddamn gorgeous. 9.7% and £4.50 a bottle, I got mine from Raynville in Leeds.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #158 on: 05 December, 2016, 04:32:17 pm »

ian

« Reply #159 on: 09 December, 2016, 08:00:40 am »
Brewvent turned up an Abstract 21 liquorice blackberry imperial stout. Like liquorice allsorts. In beer form.

Burning Sky tap takeover tonight at Bottleshop. It would be churlish not to go.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #160 on: 09 December, 2016, 09:42:25 am »
Further on into December, and the beers, this week I have had:

IHL - Camden, a lager brewed with IPA ingredients
Flying Dog - Easy IPA, a session IPA.
Richmond Brewing company - Stump Cross Ale
Some Belgian Trappist beer.

They are listed in order of preference, the IHL I would drink again, the Easy was a bit wishy-washy and I am not a huge fan of Belgian beers.

The Wayniac remains unopened!

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #161 on: 10 December, 2016, 02:29:02 pm »
Burning Sky were very good – one of my fave brewers at the moment – they have a new Imperial Stout, Saison Reserve, and Cuvée. All excellent. As are their other saisons and their session IPA Arise, which is my second favourite session IPA after Bullfinch's magnificent Rascal.

« Reply #162 on: 10 December, 2016, 04:39:43 pm »
Beer is about the journey not the destination.  The best beer to me is when I walk into a pub and see one I haven't had before.  I just don't get it when someone I'm with has an Adnams, Sussex or Doom because they like it and don't 'know' the other beers available.  I accept that's as much my problem as theirs.  Personally I relish the unknown.
I have a friend in the village who doesn't like to change beers during the evening. So he always drinks the Timothy Taylor's Landlord, despite the pub usually having two other beers on. I will always go for the one I've not had before. OK, the Landlord is (almost) always on form and very drinkable but...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #163 on: 10 December, 2016, 10:07:50 pm »
Some Magic Rock beers at Brewdog Castlegate today: Salty Kiss, Inhaler, Punchline, Highwire Grapefruit, Hypnotist  :P

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #164 on: 12 December, 2016, 06:41:58 am »
In very recent times an Old Growler, dark adn rich and yesterday a Thornbridge Cocoa Stout, yummy chocolatey, darkness.

Also a dependable Fullers London Porter.

I also have a Taddy Porter, a Krombacher Dark, and an Imperial stout on the shelf for the holiday period

Are you seeeing a winter theme yet? 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #165 on: 14 December, 2016, 06:54:54 pm »
Schlenkerla at CASC last night - more smoky nominess  :P

ian

« Reply #166 on: 14 December, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
Some Magic Rock beers at Brewdog Castlegate today: Salty Kiss, Inhaler, Punchline, Highwire Grapefruit, Hypnotist  :P

I like their can design.

In the meantime, some Omnipollo 3.5 Pineapple Gose, and lots of Modern Times and Green Flash. I might have to work out an excuse to visit San Diego in 2017.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #167 on: 15 December, 2016, 08:29:27 pm »
De Ranke XX Bitter. Om nom nom  :P

« Reply #168 on: 22 December, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »
I've seen Brewdog mentioned on here quite a bit. Have you thought about investing?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #169 on: 22 December, 2016, 05:53:50 pm »
Pingu & I are already shareholders.  We only bought shares to get the 5% discount in the bar (there was only 1 at the time) which has since gone up to 10% due to the subsequent share offers.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #170 on: 22 December, 2016, 08:53:05 pm »
Based on a discussion in the pub last night I went to look at how much my Fuller's Vintage Ale stash was worth. Crikey! Buying a couple of bottles a year and forgetting about them would seem to be a worthwhile investment...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #171 on: 24 December, 2016, 11:50:46 pm »
Christmas beer harvest.

IMG_7936_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #172 on: 25 December, 2016, 10:08:25 am »
That's breakfast sorted, then!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #173 on: 25 December, 2016, 01:57:09 pm »
Should I be worried that I've drunk all those (not the same bottles, I've not broken into your house in the last few minutes, or have I)? Actually, I don't think I've had the Mad Hatter (I think) on the far left. They do a splendid mandarin IPA though, and I forget the name, but also a Belgian style tripel. The Burning Sky Cuvée is very good.

Reminds me to crack open my bottle of Thornbridge/Brooklyn Serpent later. I did start with a Siren Half Mast earlier, sadly in the space of turning around to tend the turkey, the stupid fat cat sent it flying (though by some miracle the glass bounced unscathed off the tile floor). Good job is wasn't a serious beer or Bad Cat would have been in the pot.

This was very, very good too.

Some awesome stuff lined up for later. Not to mention four new bottles of gin for the collection.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #174 on: 25 December, 2016, 07:23:43 pm »
The 48 bottles of assorted Belgian/Dutch goodies are going down a treat - with the aid of son and daughter's other half. Currently enjoying La Trappe Tripel. In Christmas stocking were Dockyard Gin (Chatham) and HMS Victory Gin (IOW Distillery - 57%) - my kids know me well.
There's no vibrations, but wait.