Author Topic: The CTT and rear lights  (Read 2522 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
The CTT and rear lights
« on: 29 December, 2008, 07:08:40 pm »
I believe there was a vote about this at the AGM. But I cannot find the actual motion, and certainly not any of the debate.

Does anyone have any background on this?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: The CTT and rear lights
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2008, 07:42:39 pm »
It was discussed at club, district and national level. Words to the effect pf "the CTT should 'strongly recommend' that riders have a rear LED whenever they race"

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2008, 07:52:59 pm »
Don't know the background to this, but our club (Ely & District) adopted a compulsory 'rear light for events' rule at this years AGM. The club are buying a few sets of clip-on blinkys for anyone that forgets.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2008, 07:53:46 pm »
Here it is.....

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/news_attachments/2008_AR.pdf

Item 20 carried 45-21

20. By London South DC
General Notes
Competitors Machines, page 32
Insert the following:
“COMPETITORS MACHINES. It is recommended that a working rear light,
either flashing or fixed, is fitted to the machine in a position clearly visible to
following road users and is active whilst the machine is in use.”

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:11:14 pm »
I suppose riders cannot be expected to exercise common sense.  In an overcast evening event early this year I was passed by a rider with a backup type single LED under his saddle.  At the finish told him how useless it was since you could clearly see the rider long before the light became apparent.  I told him because I assumed he did not know how poor it was, after all we cannot usually see ourselves.  His attitude was that a light is a light is a light, and he then set off to ride home.

Now the silly part - what is the point of a rear light when riding an event on a bright July afternoon.  Also, will not the weight weenie riders complain about having to lug these lights round and so just fit a light as described above?

Given this, I don't think the CTT can do more than recomend.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2008, 08:19:30 pm »
I certainly used a rear light on a several of evening events this season. I was one of the few who did, but generally you are quite visible a long way off, before the light can be seen. It was mostly for when it was raining as then a dark clad cyclist can merge into the hedges when seen through a rain soaked windscreen.

More of an insurance policy really

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2008, 12:17:05 pm »
Here it is.....

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/news_attachments/2008_AR.pdf

Thanks Saturn.

i note the explanation is:

EXPLANATION: with the increase, not only in traffic numbers, but speed combined with unpredictable weather conditions, made more relevant in early mornings and evenings, it means that riders are more vulnerable than ever before. Anything that can be done to help ensure their safety should be encouraged.
So it seems that this is happening for general
"we should be as safe as possible" reasons, as opposed to
"there have been n accidents on busy roads and/or in poor visibility".

I know everyone has different opinions on this, but I'm of the view that adding pointless rules is a bad thing, and I suspect possible legal ramifications by advising safety measures beyond those required for normal riding on the public highway.

Still, it's done now!
(I only found out at club comitee meeting AFTER the AGM. And mine is the most likely bike in the club to have front and back lights on anyway.))
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2008, 12:38:10 pm »
Doesn't sound like a particularly onerous obligation.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2008, 01:42:46 pm »
I always use a rear blinky on my TT bike anyway.

The photons streaming out behind me help me go faster.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2008, 01:44:19 pm »
i was mandated by my club to vote against this at district level and my district mandated its officials to appose it at national level.   the reason we felt ,that to include the recommendation within the rules , then had a rider struck from behind who was`nt using a light ,would give the lawyers out there an argument of contributory negligence on the riders part.  however as a group ,we decided ,its not nessecessirily a bad thing ,but should not be written into the rules of the sport.

« Reply #10 on: 31 December, 2008, 12:02:55 am »
Inclined to agree with sub55. For one thing, if you look at accident statistics, in general terms the problem for cyclists is drivers turning across our paths when we have priority - i.e. pulling into or out of side turnings, or across us at roundabouts. I see no particular reason to assume that any risks in time trialling are different (although the CTT may know differently - most riding is in town, and most racing isn't). Even on dual carriageway courses, roundabouts must be a major issue.

As a result I can't see why anyone would carry a rear light and no front (because the threat will, more often than not, come from someone in front of you). I can see why you would carry a front and no rear (which of course is what cyclists did in the early days), but arguably if you need one you need both.

Not only are there risks in making rules that suggest negligence (compare the role of the CTC in the 1940s debate on mandatory rear lights), but there are even greater risks in making rules that encourage the use of the wrong single light.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:20:52 am »
Why not front lights?
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 31 December, 2008, 09:24:18 am »
Why not front lights?

Exactly.  This is most likely to reduce your risk.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.