Author Topic: Mersey 24 2008  (Read 48398 times)

Chris N

Re: Mersey 24 2008
« Reply #25 on: 17 June, 2008, 04:31:35 pm »
26th - 27th July.

Damn.  I might be at the Rhayader cycling festival that weekend, otherwise I'd offer to help out.

« Reply #26 on: 17 June, 2008, 04:52:33 pm »
Anyone know where to get entry forms etc. from?  I've had a google but can only find stuff from previous years. 

It's just the standard form:
http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/forms/CTTEntryForm.doc

Here is a light-hearted tutorial from an organiser:
How to fill in an entry form - Timetrialling Forum

That is excellent and neatly encapsulates the problems I regularly see.  As an organiser I am supposed to reject wrongly filled in forms - that would be 90% and more of the field.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #27 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:06:56 pm »
We use the same form for road races and time trials, but that is becasue they are all run under scottish cycling  (no RTTC up here) and charge a hefty levy. Club series are a min 4 GBP. The open tonight was 10 quid (plus 9 if not a BC member).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #28 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:21:17 pm »
We use the same form for road races and time trials, but that is becasue they are all run under scottish cycling  (no RTTC up here) and charge a hefty levy. Club series are a min 4 GBP. The open tonight was 10 quid (plus 9 if not a BC member).

..d

Ouch. £2.50 here up from £2.00 a few months ago for the club series.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #29 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:22:57 pm »
its a 1300 start. Everyone away by 1440-ish? (based on old start sheets)

Steve,
I haven't organised any "crew" yet (but have several keen fools possibles!).
Could you give us some idea what an unsupported rider can expect (e.g. I've read about food musettes - are these a reasonable supply to subsist on)?

Can you recommend any good warm-up events in my neck of the woods?!?

p.s. I've been given some old result/start sheets - Ms Simpson wasn't slow, was she?

Warm up events?
I don't know. I only do 24s and occasional 12 some years. I've never ridden any distance between 25 ( my last one was in 1993) and 12 hours.

Unsupported riding?
You'll be OK riding unsupported if you have the right mental approach. Some people can't handle being alone for that long. I live alone so it's no deal to me. If you can keep yourself going, then you'll be OK. It's very tough mentally, especially if you are not ised to it. Havig encouragement can make a very big difference. But' you get that from other riders and supprorters quite often. Even the 24 hour TT Gods like Wilko, Butler, the Boons and Cormak to name a few, come out to marshall or support clubmates. I often see them giving people encouragement. This aint you average time trial, this is a real event with an atmosphere.
At Prees Heath Island, there is a bag drop and feed station. Put food that you like in the bag drop incase they don't have what you want. There is another feed station at Hodnet at the roundamout with the A442? (New bypass, so won't be on an old map)
The custard tarts are very good with coffee at night. I smtimes have the hot dog sausages at Prees Heath for breakfast, while getting told off for not putting them in bread.
You don't get the same thing every year, but you usualy get unchewable energy bars which taste disgusting. They do have some sort of proper food and sandwiches. A sit down feed in the cafe in Prees Heath, which isn't much good if you don't want to stop. I've never used it.

Sheila Simpson?
She was very fast. She was riding the Mersey when I started Audaxing and she was often one of the first finishers on Audax rides. She's not as quiick as she was, but she can still shift. Very good rider is Sheila. Ladies Champion a few times. It took me 9 years to top her PB.

I've never had suppoert in a 24 and I would guess that it costs me 5-10 miles. But I don't need the mental supprt, it's only practical stuff like putting on night clothes and preparing my bottles etc.

« Reply #30 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »
Sheila is still pretty bloody fast.  I rode her Plains 400 km ride in May and she was going like a train then.  We saw her at every control until 340 km.  She was gradually getting a little bit more in front.  I imagine she will have finished first.  The really scary thing is every time we saw her she appeared to exclusively consume cans of coke.  400 km on just coke??!!  No cake or nuffink.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #31 on: 20 June, 2008, 11:48:07 am »
No cake?  :o

I only audax for the cake... ;D

annie

« Reply #32 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:02:20 pm »
As it happens, we're hoping to have some support on the event.

Hope is the current stage; all volunteers welcome.  :)

I need to look in my diary but I think I am free that weekend.  Do you want me to provide you with support?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #33 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »

I need to look in my diary but I think I am free that weekend.  Do you want me to provide you with support?

Would you?  That would be brilliant, if you are free that weekend & it doesn't interfere with any other commitments.  :-*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:04:54 pm »
<eric morecambe>
I'd lend you my support but I'm wearing it at the minute.
</eric morecambe>
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #35 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:07:44 pm »

Would you?  That would be brilliant, if you are free that weekend & it doesn't interfere with any other commitments.  :-*

That's a done deal then.  You need to let me have all the details and what you want me to bring etc in terms of food and drinks.  Obviously I have stoves, kettles and so on. 

The pleasure will be mine.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #36 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:26:46 pm »

That's a done deal then.  You need to let me have all the details and what you want me to bring etc in terms of food and drinks.  Obviously I have stoves, kettles and so on. 

The pleasure will be mine.

:D

Thank you!!  I will scratch my head, consult Charlotte and send you details by PM...

« Reply #37 on: 22 June, 2008, 08:51:14 am »
Can someone with a CTT handbook PM me with the organiser's address please.  I have an entry, but the online system doesn't appear to list an address for him.

Thanks,
Jasmine

Really Ancien

« Reply #38 on: 22 June, 2008, 04:52:26 pm »
Supporting on a 24 is a bit of an art, you can never really know where your rider is and they need you most when you are at your most depleted. The real function of helpers is to stop the riders wasting time in the official feeds which are much nicer places to be than than out on the road.

Damon.

« Reply #39 on: 24 June, 2008, 12:41:11 pm »
Can someone with a CTT handbook PM me with the organiser's address please.  I have an entry, but the online system doesn't appear to list an address for him.

Thanks,
Jasmine

Just to say that we got this from one of the guys in our club, so if anybody else needs it, PM me.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #40 on: 24 June, 2008, 09:36:55 pm »
Anyone else riding the Mersey 24 with support?
Maybe we could combine our supproters efforts?
Liz/Charlotte, it may be handy to practice taking a bottle on the move.
Annie, you need to hold the bidon at the bottom and hold it upright.
then the snatcher can grab the bottle by the thin section three quarters of the way up the bottle. It's easier if you do this on an uphill section so that the riders are going slower when they grab the bottle*, but not too steep.
*Allthough, I have taken a bottle at 27mph before.
The officials are no longer allowed to do this. it costs me time and is a pain if you are riding without hep, to have to keep stopping to fill your bottles.

Annie, also bring two foldable as comfy as possible chairs, warm blankets, a watch to make sure they don't stop too long (you have to be mean sometimes) any food they will like.
It's worth learning some coded signals so that you have a choice of drinks to hand up. EG 2 fingers or shoutng "Two" means they want tea. You get the bidon with tea ready for them before they reach you. "One" could mean orange juice, or whatever.
Wet sponges are very good if it's hot. You basically have to do all the practical stuff for them, even dressing them will help. Marina Bloom put about 2 miles on me once, by having her support crew put her clothes on, whereas I had to jump off my bike and dress myself at the bag drop.
You'll probably need to shout at the a lot at night too.
If you can get help as a supporter, then do. It's not easy helping. The more the better, usualy.
I think that you would enjy helping Charlotte and liz on a 24. There's a good atmosphere on this event and most people tend to help each other out as much as they can.
Hope to see you there Annie :thumbsup:

« Reply #41 on: 25 June, 2008, 11:35:04 pm »
Right, I'm now a paid-up member of the Liverpool Century, and my entry will go in tomorrow.  Apparently the club record stands at 420.87 miles, so I'm aiming (with no expectation of success) for 421. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 26 June, 2008, 09:16:58 am »
How would that work then? 3 supporters to hold out 3 different flavours of pie, err, I mean isotonic sports drink bidons?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 26 June, 2008, 09:46:52 am »
I believe I may have volunteered my services to Liz & Charlotte in this affair as well...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #44 on: 26 June, 2008, 11:23:12 am »
I'm aiming (with no expectation of success) for 421. 

Good luck, that is serious hard-core riding.  I didn't even reach 375 miles unsupported a few years back.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #45 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:43:28 pm »
How would that work then? 3 supporters to hold out 3 different flavours of pie, err, I mean isotonic sports drink bidons?

Have the bidons prepared. (I've seen special racks for storing bidons, a bit like mini milk crates)
As the rider approaches, they shout or indicate their choice. You whip the correct bidon out of the crate and hand it up. You could wear a cycling jersey and put the bottles in your 3 rear pockets and hold 2 others in your hands. Throw the ones away that you don't want to free your hands.
It helps if the rider is going slightly up hill. Enough to slow them down to around 15 mph or less, without them needing to pull on their handlebars. Don't try and feed someone when they are barrelling down a hill at 40mph ;D
Then you do a stock replenishment to keep it going.

It does work, I've seen it done.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #46 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:49:13 pm »
I believe I may have volunteered my services to Liz & Charlotte in this affair as well...

Fab.  :D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #47 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:50:50 pm »
I'm aiming (with no expectation of success) for 421. 

Good luck, that is serious hard-core riding.  I didn't even reach 375 miles unsupported a few years back.

A steady 20kph average including stops / breaks / toilet stops gives 300 miles.  Any more than that and I'll be delighted.

« Reply #48 on: 26 June, 2008, 05:53:34 pm »
Sheila is still pretty bloody fast.  I rode her Plains 400 km ride in May and she was going like a train then.  We saw her at every control until 340 km.  She was gradually getting a little bit more in front.  I imagine she will have finished first.  The really scary thing is every time we saw her she appeared to exclusively consume cans of coke.  400 km on just coke??!!  No cake or nuffink.

Sheila and her cans of Coke ;D Coke is the staple fuel of Sheila. I remember her munching her way through a Kendal Mint Cake years ago. I went out and bought some. It's bloody evil stuff! :sick: She has been known to down a few Guinnesses in her time.
Yes, she still is quick, but you should have seen her in the early to mid 90s. She was even quicker then. You don't become a ladies 24 hour champion by beeing slow.

Right, I'm now a paid-up member of the Liverpool Century, and my entry will go in tomorrow.  Apparently the club record stands at 420.87 miles, so I'm aiming (with no expectation of success) for 421.  

Good luck Phil
See you there. I'll buy you a pint at the finish if you beat Charlotte and Liz. :thumbsup:

A steady 20kph average including stops / breaks / toilet stops gives 300 miles.  Any more than that and I'll be delighted.

After what I've read about Charlotte's End to End, I reckon you'll be doing more like 400 and won't even have to pedal. ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:54:16 am »

Have the bidons prepared. (I've seen special racks for storing bidons, a bit like mini milk crates)
<snip>
Is THAT what you meant by "combining our supporters efforts"?

Did you not have a more sophisticated plan in mind?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles