Author Topic: Audax ride names...  (Read 3280 times)

Audax ride names...
« on: 07 October, 2014, 06:58:02 pm »
OOI why are Audax ride events referred to by the start location, rather than the ride name?  e.g. on AUK website and on certificates.  Is it purely a convenient form?  Almost seems a bit of a shame to have a name, for example, like the Old Roads and Drove Roads 200, known as the 'Sparsholt Nr Wantage 200'.    :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Martin

Re: Audax ride names...
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2014, 11:50:38 pm »
so people can find a local event? or if not local have an idea where it starts from

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2014, 11:56:15 pm »
I think AO's referring particularly to the results lists on the website where (IME anyway) you're more likely to know the ride name and have to work out the likely location description by cross-referencing against the date.

It seems a shame that the printable certificates follow this convention too - as AO implies, the Sparsholt Nr Wantage 200 is a touch less evocative than the Old Roads and Drove Roads 200.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2014, 05:53:52 am »
Going slightly OT...

I'm an occasional Audaxer and have only entered events that start close to home. I saw the Drove roads thread and ignored it but might have paid more attention if the thread was title Sparsholt nr Wantage as that's local to me.

But I do like the somewhat quirky names!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2014, 06:48:27 am »
Going slightly OT...

I'm an occasional Audaxer and have only entered events that start close to home. I saw the Drove roads thread and ignored it but might have paid more attention if the thread was title Sparsholt nr Wantage as that's local to me.

I think that shows that AUKWeb is doing the right thing, but
Interfora threade starters do it wrong!

(Paul: aukweb has a map version of the calendar which I can recommend.)

Shame about the certificates; i hadn't noticed that.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2014, 08:35:28 am »
Going slightly OT...

Hi Paul -  apart from yacf, in the main Calendar of Audax UK cycling events, for example, that particular ride is down as "200km 07:30 from Sparsholt nr Wantage   Old Roads and Drove Roads", so start location and ride name.  In all the results, events list, certificates it is known as the Sparsholt 200 AFAIA  (nearly the Uffington 200 as it turned out).   Not a huge deal though - just wondered.

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2014, 08:38:29 am »
Going slightly OT...

I think that shows that AUKWeb is doing the right thing, but
Interfora threade starters do it wrong!

;D  Yes I have been known to frequent different boards on yacf...   :P

Shame about the certificates; i hadn't noticed that.

So does that mean I'm still 'wrong'?   ;)

« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2014, 08:52:42 am »
Organise a ride in aid of a good cause, like a bell tower restoration fund. Call it an appropriate name and make it look the part.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-762/

Euan Uzami

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2014, 09:16:21 am »
I think AO's referring particularly to the results lists on the website where (IME anyway) you're more likely to know the ride name and have to work out the likely location description by cross-referencing against the date.

It seems a shame that the printable certificates follow this convention too - as AO implies, the Sparsholt Nr Wantage 200 is a touch less evocative than the Old Roads and Drove Roads 200.

absolutely, one of my bugbears with the auk website!

« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2014, 09:29:11 am »
Organise a ride in aid of a good cause, like a bell tower restoration fund. Call it an appropriate name and make it look the part.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-762/

Very neat!  However, it will still appear as Evesham 100 in the results and on the certificates!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2014, 11:11:57 am »
Of course, when an organiser puts his start location down as Village Hall it just makes both him and AUK look stupid.  ::-)
Equally, when the title of the event is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch that would make a right old mess of any listing it appears in ...

::-) ::-)

(Paul: aukweb has a map version of the calendar which I can recommend.)

That Google Map view and the 'local to me' facility is a bit broken at the moment - I am hoping to fix it but working with Gmaps code is very headache-inducing.

Good point about the certificates.  Ill try to fix that too - though good luck then with printing out your Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch 400 certificate!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #11 on: 08 October, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
Ah, another opportunity to point out that all the welsh cambrian series permanents start in Basingstoke according to the map.

I've grown to love this rather nice quirk though.  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #12 on: 08 October, 2014, 11:24:26 am »
Darn it, they've fixed it...

sort of…

100km cycling event starting from Llandrindod WellsHampshire..

:thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2014, 11:13:08 am »
... when the title of the event is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

and it's completely gratuitous.  The ride goes through, er, that place, without even pausing for a control.  I could have called it the Rhyl 400.

« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2014, 12:27:58 pm »
Well that's a bit of a result.  The AUK certificates now have the actual names of the rides on them.   :thumbsup: 

Thanks to whoever did this  - a small change but worth doing IMO.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2014, 12:48:22 pm »
... when the title of the event is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

and it's completely gratuitous.  The ride goes through, er, that place, without even pausing for a control.  I could have called it the Rhyl 400.
Yes but Llanfairpg in all its glory is unique and funny.  Rhyl is not funny
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »

sort of…

Once upon a time us mere organisers could not edit the start location - it defaulted to our home address.  Then, the powers that be allowed us to edit the start location, although for the Cambrian Series that's a bit of a challenge because you can start from any of the control towns  (I'm yet to have a rider start from Fishguard).  However, some muppet of an organiser didn't notice that there was a county field.  Will have a joyous time individual changing these now  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

caerau

« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2014, 01:08:33 pm »
 :-)

I think we're OK, if you're struggling with where Llandrindod Wells is in Hampshire, you're probably not someone who's going to fare well in the wilds of Wales ;)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: 09 October, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »
>...the Sparsholt Nr Wantage 200 is a touch less evocative than the Old Roads and Drove Roads 200

It does give a BFO cluebat to [redacted] thobut, who were somewhat navigationally displaced over start location ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 09 October, 2014, 06:00:22 pm »

sort of…

Once upon a time us mere organisers could not edit the start location - it defaulted to our home address.  Then, the powers that be allowed us to edit the start location, although for the Cambrian Series that's a bit of a challenge because you can start from any of the control towns  (I'm yet to have a rider start from Fishguard).  However, some muppet of an organiser didn't notice that there was a county field.  Will have a joyous time individual changing these now  :facepalm:

meddyg of this parish lives in Fishguard and could choose to start close to home...