Author Topic: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau, 21st June 2014  (Read 26524 times)

SkidBr

• Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Probably a daft question but what is the perm version called?

I have been looking through the permanent events list & map but cant see anything that looks like this one. Expect that its right there in front of me but it looks like I need some help.. 

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

This one?
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR13/

That's the randonuer badger, the one Lady Cav's considering is the populaire - this one http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR14/
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

SkidBr

• Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Cheers Caerau, Blacksheep,

Thanks for the pointer

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
Thanks Mark for all your efforts in setting up this event - I thought your were almost apologetic at the depart when talking about all the “gratuitous climbing” ahead of us!

Thanks too to Brian the chef - the sausages and bacon were excellent; Andy & Siobhan were helpful and cheery at a time when it was sorely needed; Tony & Kathy I saw all too briefly...

With Mark’s words of warning not to get carried away in the first two sections still echoing in my head, I bombed down to Monmouth in the peloton and mostly clung on to some fast riders to Llandovery. After that the climbing really started, the day got really hot, and my wheels came off... or at least the cogs on my rear cassette. Limped into Pontrhydfendigaid where a garage mechanic applied a large hammer to both loosen and tighten them up again. (Stunning views and 60~70 vintage cars but not many bike shops…)

The cooler and flatter night sections had me moving again - the TLC at Barmouth was a boost and the bed at Llanrwst was the most comfortable I’ve ever known! Sadly the acquaintance was brief - in less than two hours it was time to get up and go. The climbing seemed to start immediately and last the whole (95km) stage and as temperatures hit the tar-melting stage again I was not helped by a navigational issue.

Climbing out of Newtown a bit of shade in a field proved too tempting and my ride was effectively over... but a couple of hours later I was battling on with the help of ice-cream in Knighton and falling temperatures. Pleased to see David in Leominster - didn’t mean to leave you behind - as you easily caught me up the first two times you stopped, I figured you’d do it a third.

Mixed feelings: cycled every km and climbed every metre (+ some), but way OOT.

One thing for sure - it is a great route. Would love to try again (just not anytime soon!).
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

Re: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau, 21st June 2014
« Reply #205 on: 10 October, 2014, 11:50:03 am »
The final invoices for this classic event have at last come-in.

As stated in the original post, any profits generated would be donated to Marie Currie Cancer Research.

For the CD record, Andy & Sioban Cox collected circa  £37 at the Barmouth control. Tony & Kathy Pember very kindly ran the control at Aberhafesp and returned their expenses, Cyclists kindly dipped into their pockets and donated at the private controls. All-in-all a very humbling £150 was raised. ... .... A further £50 was found from the BlackSheep shearing fund.

So about £250 will ultimately going to Anne Learmonth's Just Giving fund.

I hope you all enjoyed the ride, we'll be doing it all again June 2015, and profits will be going to charity.

Mr Pickwick is eternally grateful to the dragon & legend this ride is dedicated to.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau, 21st June 2014
« Reply #206 on: 10 October, 2014, 01:20:07 pm »
She'll appreciate that, as do I.