Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 334524 times)

Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #100 on: 01 January, 2010, 12:21:29 pm »
That's a lovely bike, Roger.

What's the gearing in inches?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #101 on: 01 January, 2010, 12:25:10 pm »
48 x 15 gives about 85" on 23mm tyres.  The other gears are 75% and 62.5%, so that would be 64" and 53".

It really needs either a 52T chainring or a 14T sprocket for time trialling.  It will be left in direct drive for a TT, so there's no efficiency loss, but it makes getting to the start and warming up rather easier.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #102 on: 01 January, 2010, 12:38:25 pm »
53"  :o

I can't think of any hill around my way that that would help serve me.

I know, that you know some though.

Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

rogerzilla

« Reply #103 on: 01 January, 2010, 01:12:35 pm »
53" on fixed will get up just about anything.  I can climb a 1 in 6 using a 70" gear.

border-rider

« Reply #104 on: 01 January, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »
53"  :o

I can't think of any hill around my way that that would help serve me.

I know, that you know some though.

I've done the Kidderminster Killer 200 on a  56 inch gear.  I had to walk Asterton Bank, but managed the rest.

« Reply #105 on: 01 January, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »
I'm just a grinder.
I haven't got your soup please.  :(

« Reply #106 on: 01 January, 2010, 02:09:56 pm »
A few quick shots of my recently acquired Bob Jackson:

Pretty happy about how it was put together, although I remain deeply uncertain about the San Marco Concor.

Still need to fettle the rear guard a little after adding SKS quick release doofers:

Very pleased with the Nitto noodle (although if I'd done the bars myself I'd have positioned the levers a little further round the bend:

The spacer from chainstay bridge to guard was too long to allow the wheel to come out without letting the tyre down - I've bodged something a little shorter.

Haven't been out on it much as yet, but it seems a really comfortable ride.

rogerzilla

« Reply #107 on: 01 January, 2010, 03:21:59 pm »
What size frame is it, Pluck?  Looks quite big.

« Reply #108 on: 01 January, 2010, 03:23:57 pm »
23"

border-rider

« Reply #109 on: 01 January, 2010, 03:28:22 pm »
Deceptive, then.  I'd guessed at 24 or so.

Very nice BTW :)

« Reply #110 on: 01 January, 2010, 03:33:25 pm »

I thought that too. It looks bigger than my 23s. Apart from the position of the brake levers, I like the look of it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #111 on: 01 January, 2010, 06:15:34 pm »
That's a grand looking bike.  One I can really lust after.  I need to get mesen a Bob Jackson one day...
Getting there...

« Reply #112 on: 01 January, 2010, 10:55:12 pm »
Thanks all. I have Bikes for the NHS to thank for this one.

The bars need to be rotated forwards somewhat; moving the levers will have to wait until the tape wears out. I have only had a short ride on it but I was surprised at how compliant the ride is.

Nice to have something fairly traditional  :) I'm going to try to avoid cluttering this bike up too much but I'll be adding a bottle cage or two and of course a pump.

« Reply #113 on: 01 January, 2010, 10:56:45 pm »
Thanks all. I have Bikes for the NHS to thank for this one.

The bars need to be rotated forwards somewhat; moving the levers will have to wait until the tape wears out. I have only had a short ride on it but I was surprised at how compliant the ride is.

Nice to have something fairly traditional  :) I'm going to try to avoid cluttering this bike up too much but I'll be adding a bottle cage or two and of course a pump.

:thumbsup: It's the traditional look that I like about it. It's sometimes possible to remove bar tape and refit it if you are careful.

« Reply #114 on: 01 January, 2010, 11:01:29 pm »
Very nice, Pluck!  :D

« Reply #115 on: 02 January, 2010, 11:39:20 am »
That's a v nice looking bike, great way to see in the new year. A Bob Jackson is on my wish list as well.

« Reply #116 on: 02 January, 2010, 01:37:19 pm »

Track bikes often look bigger because of a higher bracket height.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #117 on: 02 January, 2010, 01:39:21 pm »
Lovely bike Plucky. I hope you have lots of fun on it.

Now when are we going to see it out on a ride?  :D

« Reply #118 on: 02 January, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »
I know the Vigorelli is billed as a track frame but I think the only track-like thing about the geometry is the marginally higher than usual BB height: there is a fair amount of room around the frame. Those tyres are 25s, and the only place where it is not terribly roomy is under the rear brake bridge.

Now when are we going to see it out on a ride?  :D

When:
1) weather warms up a little
2) I've taken it round Richmond Park a few times (in the dark) to see if I can get it up any hills.
3)   "      "      "     "        "              "    "   "      "         "   "     "     to see if I can get it down any hills.

It's been a while...

Also, on my first ride on it from the LBS to home, I noted that the chain slackened off a fair bit. I need to get the balance right between getting the nuts tight  enough to avoid that and being able to loosen the nuts with an easily carried spanner...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #119 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:34:56 pm »

« Reply #120 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:41:29 pm »
I need to get the balance right between getting the nuts tight  enough to avoid that and being able to loosen the nuts with an easily carried spanner...
Use the same spanner to fit the wheel in the workshop as you will use on the road.

border-rider

« Reply #121 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »

« Reply #122 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:52:13 pm »
Use the same spanner to fit the wheel in the workshop as you will use on the road

I agree this is sensible. After my ride during which the chain slackened, I loosened the nuts with my intended carry spanner (stubby ring spanner) and was just about able to do it and no more. Maybe when the nuts have bitten in to the track ends a little, the small spanner will be sufficient.

Insulated drinkies, I see!

« Reply #123 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:56:14 pm »
I use one of these
CYCLO Pro Series DUMBELL BONE SPANNER FOR SIZES 6-15 mm on eBay (end time  22-Jan-10 15:23:34 GMT) a Cyclo one Made in England. Been good enough so far and so retro.

border-rider

« Reply #124 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:01:11 pm »
Also, on my first ride on it from the LBS to home, I noted that the chain slackened off a fair bit.

This is sometimes caused by a new chain and sprocket combo bedding in a bit.  Some chains sit slightly high on the teeth of some sprockets at very first.

OTOH some combos seem to not need a tweak for months after you first torque the track nuts down..