Author Topic: I sold two bikes last week  (Read 3659 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
I sold two bikes last week
« on: 19 May, 2020, 04:39:35 pm »

Both of them had been available for over a year and very little interest

One was a 60cm aluminium Orbea from 2004, with various additions (new brakes, better wheels, better saddle etc) Nice bike but it's size and being an Al racer seemed to make it hard to sell

The other was an aluminium Ridley, which I suppose you'd describe as a winter trainer.  It had hand made wheels, a rack and generator powered lights.  It was a few years old not as old as the Orbea.  The size was less than the Orbea, more in the average guy kind of area.  Dunno why this didn't sell before.  Maybe people don't want racks on a road bike?  Or the price was wrong?

Anyway sold them both for 300 quid each on the bay (so the net amount is much lower but hey, whadda can you do?)

My tip is, if you have a spare bike you've been "meaning" to sell, do it now.  The weather is great and everyone wants a bike

Re: I sold two bikes last week
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:07:50 pm »
I agree. I sold a 30 year old Dawes Super Galaxy, although in fantastic condition, would have taken an age to sell ordinarily. It made pretty good money too. If I was happy and so was the buyer, the price was just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:14:04 pm »
going by the sold prices, i could sell couple of my bikes after riding several thousand km on each, for at least double the price i paid. might sell one of them.

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:18:37 pm »
I've got my Aravis Audax and my Colnago Master to sell. This could be a good time.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2020, 06:22:55 pm »
I've got my Aravis Audax and my Colnago Master to sell. This could be a good time.

Peugeot Aravis? I had one once. I liked it very much.

Then I found this thread https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53446.0 And remembered the newer Aravis. I think Spa bought a few of the last in a ‘fire sale’ and were selling them very cheaply. Below their own steel audacity, with a slightly different name. John told me where they’d come from.

Anyway, back to the Peugeot - 531c and skinny tunes with a proper 80s paint job of bright purple/magenta and white fade. Set up singlespeed to while away the miles sitting on a white Selle Italia Turbo saddle...

« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2020, 07:04:05 pm »
It's one of the Hewitt/Aravis/something else Audax frames:-

Still for sale here technically, you can see how long I've been faffing about not really trying to sell it (thread started April 2013):-

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=70306.0

I'll get it out and spruce it up and take some up to date photos, price will probably be adjusted too (not in an LMT way though...)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2020, 07:09:46 pm »
We have an old frame left with us by a friend who moved away from the area and couldn't be bothered to take it with him. Would probably make a single speed "hack bike" but needs quite a few components including wheels! Might advertise it now.

« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2020, 02:31:41 pm »
I was thinking this.  Did you need to post them or did they collect?
I might just do this.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

LMT

« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2020, 03:15:44 pm »

Still for sale here technically, you can see how long I've been faffing about not really trying to sell it (thread started April 2013):-

I'll get it out and spruce it up and take some up to date photos, price will probably be adjusted too (not in an LMT way though...)

You got a problem PM me, pissy snide remarks make you look like a dick.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:54:31 am »

;D ;D

« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2020, 09:31:12 am »
I advertised my daughters old Islabike on facebook (and here) on Wednesday.  It was collected on Saturday. :)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2020, 07:13:48 am »
I advertised my daughters old Islabike on facebook (and here) on Wednesday.  It was collected on Saturday. :)

A young girl is learning to ride in the park where I walk Jack.  I was talking to her father about her Islabike.  He had worked out she was the sixth owner...   and her little brother will get it when she outgrows it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2020, 05:10:18 pm »
My kids all learned to ride on the same bike, one after another down the years. We were the third family to use it, making them the 4th-7th custodians, and after them it went up the street to another family with two. I lost track of it after that.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2020, 03:47:59 pm »

A young girl is learning to ride in the park where I walk Jack.  I was talking to her father about her Islabike.  He had worked out she was the sixth owner...   and her little brother will get it when she outgrows it.
I think we were the second owners - the previous family had it for a few years and had 2 kids. We had it 4 years as Rachel didn't grow all that much for a while, and I didn't do anything with it after getting the next size up (again secondhand) last year. They seem to last for ages - I guess that's the benefit of building them right in the first place.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15 on: 04 June, 2020, 06:13:36 pm »

I think we were the second owners - the previous family had it for a few years and had 2 kids. We had it 4 years as Rachel didn't grow all that much for a while, and I didn't do anything with it after getting the next size up (again secondhand) last year. They seem to last for ages - I guess that's the benefit of building them right in the first place.

Indeed - difficult to fault Islabikes . . .  we have 4 grandchildren (2 daughters with 2 each) age  11, 7 (2 off) and 4 - all have been on Islbikes 16" - 20" - 26" as soon as they could master a balance bike - up to the 11 year old who's now on a 700c wheeled Luath.  I've bought them all s/h from friends and ebay ... and then sold them on when they have emerged from the bottom of the chain - at the moment we have 4 in use, 1 balance bike that's sold to a friend pending collection and 26" wheel machine "in stock"

The investment has been good - the kids all enjoy riding on decent, light bikes . . . . and my rule of thumb is that I get at least 75% of my purchase price back when I sell them on.

Rob

PS: I sold one of my bikes last week - the venerable 1975 Galaxy, a veteran of 2 E2E rides, to the S of France and countless Audax rides and club runs - for rather more than I expected to get, but it went to an enthusiast.

« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2020, 09:13:24 pm »
PS: I sold one of my bikes last week - the venerable 1975 Galaxy, a veteran of 2 E2E rides, to the S of France and countless Audax rides and club runs - for rather more than I expected to get, but it went to an enthusiast.
How on earth can you bear to part from a bike with which you have such a history ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17 on: 04 June, 2020, 09:54:24 pm »
Please do not tell my wife about this thread. :o

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2020, 01:09:52 pm »
I had a recce of the stuffs that have been hanging around for too long.

The Colnago will go, but needs some TLC before I can put it up for sale, it's not going to get as much as I would have got if I had pulled my finger out 5 years ago. Oh well.

The Aravis Audax will also go, again needs more work.

Both need some new tyres as the existing ones have just been there too long, and some other bits to tart them up a bit. I think I've got most of the bits already so no need to order anything. Woo.

Also found the wheels from my old commuter hack so I've got a couple of used Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (700c x 35mm) and I'll also be able to get rid of my old Schwalbe Marathon Winters (can't remember the exact size but probably 700c x 38mm). The old wheels themselves (including a Shimano dynohub front) will have the new 700c x 30mm Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres put on them ready for the next snowpocalypse - much easier swapping wheels than it is swapping tyres.

I got some Planet X wheel bags for cheap in a recent sale so spare wheels will be moved into those and into somewhere drier which should keep the tyres in better condition.

I really hope the council comes through with another storeshed, that'd really help and then I could also get rid of the Trimetals bike box.

Saturday/Sunday look dry so it might be bike service weekend:-
* Clean and tidy the Colnago (chrome polish mostly) - new tubes - replace tyres (have some spare 25mm GP 4 Season) - service - take photos - list for sale
* Clean and tidy the Aravis - remove rack - swap saddle - new tubes - replace tyres (have some spare unused 28mm tyres) - service - take photos - list for sale
* Service MiniGB's old bike (hand me down) - look to sell via school app for a donation to school fundraising charity
* Service MiniGB's new bike (hand me down) - look what needs fixing/replacing
* Service remaining wheels (two old fixed rear wheels - one spare front - original Wilier Fulcrum 5 rear) - store tyres safely
* Look at the two sets of old commuting wheels:
** one set has Schwalbe Marathon Winter 35mm tyres on - look to sell these tyres (and the wheels if possible)
** other set is a Shimano dynamo front and unknown quality rear with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 35mm tyres on - look to sell the tyres (possibly in a bundle with the above)
** put the new Schwalbe Marathon Winter 30mm tyres on the spare dynohub front and better spare rear and store away for future winter
* Find any other spare stuff that's worth selling...