Author Topic: Start Time/Group  (Read 26038 times)

Re: Start Time/Group
« Reply #100 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:22:30 pm »
I don't really want to start a new thread so trying here... does anyone know if the start slots reopen during registration later in the year ?
i.e. if people fail to qualify / register do they let those that have move into these gaps ?

Even now it looks like I can shuffle my pre-registration to a different (available) slot at any point.

(reason for asking is that my usual partner in crime was able to register with the 1000km bunch and I've had to wait until now to do it, they did choose a cautious entry slot but on pre-registering today the nearest available is still 30mins later)

Not a massive deal either way I guess but one less thing to fret about is always good :P

« Reply #101 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:29:45 pm »
I’m not sure of the answer, but you will be locked in soon (about 24 hrs after??) so don’t mess around too much with start times!

« Reply #102 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:34:39 pm »
I’m not sure of the answer, but you will be locked in soon (about 24 hrs after??) so don’t mess around too much with start times!

Ah cheers...  well I'm not moving any later  ;D  ... I was thinking that they might be able to log back in and move to the same slot.

Phil W

« Reply #103 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:46:40 pm »

Ah cheers...  well I'm not moving any later  ;D  ... I was thinking that they might be able to log back in and move to the same slot.

Your partner in crime can always start 30 mins late with you, regardless that their official start time is 30 mins earlier.  Don't do this if expecting to be full value and you will need every minute.

Phil W

« Reply #104 on: 28 January, 2019, 08:48:05 pm »
As for reopening at registration. The answer is yes, the web page tells you this once your pre registration is confirmed and locked.

« Reply #105 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:00:15 pm »
Cheers Phil .... the waiting 30mins (or stopping for coffee in the first village) is the backup plan.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #106 on: 19 February, 2019, 08:41:16 am »
Thanks to the email I received last night I am now starting at 19:00hrs. A whole fifteen minutes earlier  ;D.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #107 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:24:31 am »
Having received the same email, I just logged on to check my account and see what the options were for changing my start time. Unsurprisingly, all the early slots are still full so there's no benefit in changing.

I'm slightly confused though. I initially registered with a start time of 18.30 but now it seems that my start time is 18.00. With the new 17.30 and 17.45 start groups, have they just shuffled everyone forward half an hour? That would make sense, but the information has not been very clearly presented.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #108 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:37:52 am »
Having received the same email, I just logged on to check my account and see what the options were for changing my start time. Unsurprisingly, all the early slots are still full so there's no benefit in changing.

I'm slightly confused though. I initially registered with a start time of 18.30 but now it seems that my start time is 18.00. With the new 17.30 and 17.45 start groups, have they just shuffled everyone forward half an hour? That would make sense, but the information has not been very clearly presented.

Ach... I hope they haven't moved everyone... I took advantage to move my slot forward 30mins to match my riding partner.. if they've shifter her too then we're no better off !
We will see eh.

SPB

« Reply #109 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:43:58 am »

Looks like they increased capacity in all waves, then removed the sixth and seventh vedette waves.  So everyone after the fifth vedette wave automatically had their start time moved up.  The spaces created in waves that were previously full then meant they could offer people the option of swapping to a more preferable slot, though they limited swaps to within the the same 80/90/84 time limit previously chosen.

« Reply #110 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:50:41 am »
Yeah, every 90 hour rider seems to have been moved 30 minutes earlier...

Except the last two waves weren’t empty, so if you chose one of the later waves they might have done something different.

citoyen

« Reply #111 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:57:24 am »

Looks like they increased capacity in all waves, then removed the sixth and seventh vedette waves.  So everyone after the fifth vedette wave automatically had their start time moved up.  The spaces created in waves that were previously full then meant they could offer people the option of swapping to a more preferable slot, though they limited swaps to within the the same 80/90/84 time limit previously chosen.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I assumed had happened.

We will see eh.

I don't know why they can't just give us that information right now, in a clear and easy to understand format. Oh, hang on, I do know why - it's because they're French.

« Reply #112 on: 19 February, 2019, 09:57:08 pm »
Posted on their Facebook page:

To allow more riders to enter PBP'19, we modified the 80h starts. There will be only 5 starts instead of 7, from 04:00pm to 05:00pm.
The special bikes will start at 05:15pm instead of 05:45. By doing so, we will have to more starts for 90h and all start times will put backward by 30 minutes.
We are expecting early starters to ride at least to Carhaix for their first stop, if possible Best and then Fougeres or Villaine on the way back. Otherwise, Loudeac will be a mess despite the extra accommodations that we are implementing.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:20:30 pm »
Otherwise, Loudeac will be a mess ...

Loudeac not a mess? What are they thinking - it's traditional!

simonp

« Reply #114 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:48:00 pm »
Otherwise, Loudeac will be a mess ...

Loudeac not a mess? What are they thinking - it's traditional!

I was thinking the same. Only time it’s not been a mess IME was when in the 80h start.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #115 on: 10 April, 2019, 09:37:29 pm »
I wouldn't get too hung up at this stage about which start time you have managed to get as it's all likely to change if the Brexit business isn't resolved by then and we are still EU members.

It seems that ACP are planning to move all of the British riders into one start group, which will be sent off first, ahead of the vedettes. Riders will be able to ride to the first control at Mortagne, but must then turn around and ride back to the start. They may then be given permission to rejoin the event and continue to an as-yet-unspecified 'final' control somewhere on the return leg between Brest and Loudeac. They will be allowed to abandon the event before reaching this control, but must give two controls' notice of their intention to do so.  If they do choose to continue beyond the 'final' control, they MUST complete the event, no matter how long it takes them. However, the controls will not stay open for them and they will have to negotiate their own arrangements for food and shelter along the way.

As an alternative, British riders will also be allowed to remain in their currently allotted start group but will be required to spend 90 hours riding around the velodrome at Rambouillet and, naturally, will not have their rides validated.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #116 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:06:51 pm »
^^^^^^^^  ;D

Theresa is negotiating a three month time extension for Brits
#makewattsnotwar

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #117 on: 11 April, 2019, 02:23:01 am »
^^^^^^^^  ;D

three months?  I've heard we have until October.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #118 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:41:01 am »
^^^^^^^^  ;D

At least I don't have to dick around with extra paperwork to drive in France in August now...probably... :hand:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #119 on: 11 April, 2019, 10:56:23 am »
^^^^^^^^  ;D

If Theresa May was organising British paperwork for PBP, she would probably aim to get your entries to ACP by October.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

SPB

« Reply #120 on: 11 April, 2019, 12:20:24 pm »

31st Oct is the new date by when we have to have left, extended or revoked. 

If Parliament were to approve the Government's agreement in the meantime we'd leave before then, I believe on the 1st of the month following, and not on the 31st Oct. 

Might seem a pedantic point, but yesterday's extension gives no guarantee we'll still be in and enjoying the benefits of EU membership come PBP.

« Reply #121 on: 11 April, 2019, 05:44:28 pm »
If the Withdrawal Agreement is approved we'll at worst be in the Transition Period, during which most of the bullshit associated with leaving the EU doesn't yet occur.

I don't think it's legally possible for us to No Deal Brexit before 31st October (unless the Bill Cashes of the world find a way to cancel the MEP elections), so PBP looks pretty safe.

citoyen

« Reply #122 on: 11 April, 2019, 05:55:31 pm »
Looks like it's going to be a moot point for me personally as I probably won't be able to come to the party anyway - the job I'm doing now, which I thought was due to finish at the end of July, now looks like it won't finish until the end of August at the earliest - and alas I can't really afford to turn down the work.

Oh well, guess I'll have to start looking forward to 2023 instead...

(And on the plus side, it's paid work - yay!)

« Reply #123 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:01:19 am »
I’m out :( just emailed my remaining qualifiers to confirm a DNS on both, and the ferry company to see if I get a refund or not. 

All health related, I need to work out what i’m eating that makes me ill and (assuming it is wheat) do a better job of working out how to avoid it whilst on my bike - so far i’m being ill on every audax :(. Time to focus on my health, PBP will wait.

Do I have to do something with PBP, or simply ignore it now, safe in the knowledge that not finishing my qualifiers will be enough?

« Reply #124 on: 22 April, 2019, 12:14:00 pm »
I’m out
Do I have to do something with PBP, or simply ignore it now, safe in the knowledge that not finishing my qualifiers will be enough?
Assuming you have pre-registered, that will merely lapse if you don't then register. PBP are anticipating a proportion of those who pre-registered not to register (for whatever individual reason).