Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752536 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6050 on: 20 January, 2015, 06:21:02 pm »
I'm thinking of proposing a shorter route, perhaps 35 miles. I'm also proposing a quick one pint stop which will mean I put another tick in the GBG. I'd like to be home well inside Wednesday having had a beer, got some much needed miles in and not come a cropper on ice.

If there is any sign of ice I will either stay at home or head back by the nearest gritted road.  Huggy is right, there is no point taking risks.

I will propose another route tomorrow morning.

« Reply #6051 on: 20 January, 2015, 10:36:36 pm »
I'm thinking of proposing a shorter route, perhaps 35 miles. I'm also proposing a quick one pint stop which will mean I put another tick in the GBG. I'd like to be home well inside Wednesday having had a beer, got some much needed miles in and not come a cropper on ice.

If there is any sign of ice I will either stay at home or head back by the nearest gritted road.  Huggy is right, there is no point taking risks.

I will propose another route tomorrow morning.
:thumbsup: Sounds good.

Roads were in pretty good shape tonight, pushed out  a few extra KM's at a leisurely pace (just enough to keep a bit warm) there was some ice still left in puddle though.

The last 5 or 10k I felt the temp really drop, hands OK today but the Toes ! I thought they were all going to look like Kevs!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6052 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:35:38 am »
Morning  :thumbsup:

For those wishing to start tonight's ride in Witham I offer a shorter route to and from Witham via The Oddfellow's Arms (32.3 miles).  Here's THE ROUTE.

I could be available to start at 7pm as opposed to 7:30 if that suits people.  If we do start at 7:30 I might do a warm up beforehand so feel free to drop us a text if you wanna join me.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6053 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:47:00 am »
Errr, it's snowing right now.  If it carries on I won't be going anywhere tonight.  Having said that Accuweather (good weather site, thanks for the tip off DL) does forecast it and says the snow will clear.  And it says there is zero % chance of ice tonight so we might be OK. Let's see.

« Reply #6054 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:55:05 am »
Morning  :thumbsup:

For those wishing to start tonight's ride in Witham I offer a shorter route to and from Witham via The Oddfellow's Arms (32.3 miles).  Here's THE ROUTE.
FYI for West Hanningfield Road. Just before Hall Lane, near your 29km marker, there is a large puddle on the east side which is fed from the west side drainage ditch. There was slushy ice there yesterday! Just after that on a downhill section there was sheet ice across the road and slushy ice on top of that, I rode over it without problem though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6055 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:59:10 am »
Thanks for the tip off.  We will be proceeding with care!

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6056 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:37:09 am »
Errr, it's snowing right now.  If it carries on I won't be going anywhere tonight.  Having said that Accuweather (good weather site, thanks for the tip off DL) does forecast it and says the snow will clear.  And it says there is zero % chance of ice tonight so we might be OK. Let's see.

I will take my lead from you OD, despite ribbing Huggy yesterday he is of course quite correct and it's certainly not worth risking injury riding whilst icy!
I won't be able to make a 7pm departure due to work/family commitments so if yourself and Andy C33 want to depart earlier I may attempt to catch you up or possibly take a more direct route to the battle cruiser.....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6057 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:40:36 am »
If we go at all let's go for a 7:30pm depart.  I might do a warm up first, SoO transmission is still appears to need tuning so I might set off early to allow for tweaking time.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6058 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:47:32 am »
Further to my earlier post, I intend to attend the local leisure facility this evening that does not have any prospect of ice inside (just have the cycle there and back).

Rule 5
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6059 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:57:04 am »
If we go at all let's go for a 7:30pm depart.  I might do a warm up first, SoO transmission is still appears to need tuning so I might set off early to allow for tweaking time.

Ok OD sounds good to me  :thumbsup:

Further to my earlier post, I intend to attend the local leisure facility this evening that does not have any prospect of ice inside (just have the cycle there and back).

Rule 5

TBH Huggy you will still be exercising those legs and turning the pedals and although Rule #5 may not be obeyed Rule #2 certainly is!  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6060 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:12:33 am »

Rule 5

TBH Huggy you will still be exercising those legs and turning the pedals and although Rule #5 may not be obeyed Rule #2 certainly is!  ;D
True, it's not like I'll be sitting on the sofa wasting my time watching Spurs lose to Sheffield United, well maybe the 2nd half. This evening's exercise will be this http://www.lesmills.com/workouts/fitness-classes/bodypump/
Last night was similar to this http://www.lesmills.com/workouts/fitness-classes/rpm/ which resulted in a puddle around me
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6061 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:37:38 am »
Steve, load the GPX up to http://www.weatherbagel.com/

choose the start time and speed and see what comes...:-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6062 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:19:13 pm »

That is fucking clever!  Looks like we're good to go!!!

(Huggy, come with us, tipper's bagel says it will be sunny all evening  ;)  )

« Reply #6063 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:59:52 pm »

That is fucking clever!  Looks like we're good to go!!!

(Huggy, come with us, tipper's bagel says it will be sunny all evening  ;)  )

Are you sure the GPX is in the right part of the world  ;D

The forecast for the Willy Warmer was reasonably accurate with that, more so than the description of the route being Flat!

« Reply #6064 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:44:18 pm »
Right, I am also going to take the soft option and go for home tonight. Too cold, too tired. Going to do some weekend milage!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6065 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:55:05 pm »
Right, I am also going to take the soft option and go for home tonight. Too cold, too tired. Going to do some weekend milage!

OK.

I'm good to go.  Hopefully see people at the Spa Rd roundabout at 7:30 or I will head off by meself.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6066 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:05:50 pm »
^Well I'm heading out regardless too...it's cold, but unlikely to freeze early on I think - if the cloud has cleared and the temperature drops I'll stick to treated roads.

See you at the Oddfellows, how appropriate  ;D

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #6067 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:38:14 pm »
Don't think I can make it due to offspring issues. :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6068 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:53:33 pm »
Don't think I can make it due to offspring issues. :-\

Ok. I think it was just you and me so I'm heading off now. I won't be at the roundabout at 7:30.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6069 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:01:21 pm »

Oops. Tonight's route included Bumfords Lane, I should have known better as the flooding was about a foot deep and hid a pothole that my front wheel dropped into. So a millisecond later I find myself lying on my back in the newly named Bumfords Lane Lido!

As I was by now very wet I decided to abort and head home, particularly as I was on my own. After getting hold of Tomsk I dripped my way home for an early shower.

« Reply #6070 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:47:42 pm »
Definitely the wrong time of year for lying around in puddles!
I trust you are unhurt.

« Reply #6071 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:52:38 pm »
And that the bike is ok?  :demon:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6072 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:03:26 pm »
Washing machine full of wet and mucky cycling gear, slightly bruised elbow, bike fine!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6074 on: 22 January, 2015, 06:01:43 am »
Similar except I fell to the right and I think the Bumfords Lane lido might have been deeper.

It's a shame coz it was actually quite a nice night and I have missed out on a GBG tick. Oh well.