Author Topic: Not been helpful today  (Read 4667 times)

Re: Not been helpful today
« Reply #25 on: 31 May, 2021, 02:45:41 pm »
My last resort is to bury the bike in a hedge and call a taxi.
Chances are you can find a taxi that'll take the bike as well, I've done so twice.

« Reply #26 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:16:46 pm »
My reaction varies from not stopping to gifting a spare tube and fitting it myself, dependent on various factors including mood, the sort of ride I'm on, the level of distress of the recipient, etc.  There's no blanket right or wrong.

In this particular case I'd probably have offered to fix the puncture but not gift a tube, dependent on the above.

i did have a patch kit, but wasn't sure if the glue was still runny after several years in the tool kit. checked at home, and indeed it wasn't fit for purpose. i did not want to start a repairing, then fail. i'll be getting a few glueless patch kits, for my own benefit and maybe others i meet.

Yep, glueless patches are the way to go for speedy roadside repairs, to be replaced with proper ones at a more convenient time.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:38:41 pm »
I once happened along a sportive rider (I was just doing a DIY 200 on my own) who was struggling to fix a puncture - he was 150km into a 160km ride and was clearly exhausted - he'd changed the tube but then pinched it putting the tyre back on the rim so it he pumped it up it went again.

I patched the tube and pumped it up for him (whilst the rest of the sportive riders ignored his plight). When I went to put the wheel back in he couldn't find one of the springs for the QR skewer, at that point, I'd done all I could and had spent 15 minutes helping someone that was struggling - but I didn't have a spare spring and I left him to it.

Told him I wouldn't ride without the spring but you're 10km from the end - try it or walk...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:36:49 pm »
I patched the tube and pumped it up for him (whilst the rest of the sportive riders ignored his plight). When I went to put the wheel back in he couldn't find one of the springs for the QR skewer, at that point, I'd done all I could and had spent 15 minutes helping someone that was struggling - but I didn't have a spare spring and I left him to it.

Told him I wouldn't ride without the spring but you're 10km from the end - try it or walk...

Is there some important function of QR skewer springs that I'm unaware of?  I though they were simply a convenience to ensure there was room for the dropout on both sides of the hub when fitting the wheel.  Indeed, I'm fairly sure at least one of my wheels doesn't have any installed (front rack means the skewer has to be undone completely, so the springs are just additional pingfuckits).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:42:30 pm »
skewer springs don't add any safety, only convenience when installing the wheel making both sides of the skewer equidistant from the axle. the wheel is just as secure without any springs at all, only is a bit more tricky to install.

edit. x-post

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:01:31 pm »
I have been unhelpful when some motorist tried to flag me down and asked for directions.
I deliberately gave the parked car a wide berth and sailed past.
I was on an Audax, close to time and very many miles from home.
I had no local knowledge but would have had a map.
I was not going to sacrifice MY ride for their convenience.

I'm harsh enough to think cyclists don't *have* to bale out every unprepared dude.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:13:17 pm »
I have been unhelpful when some motorist tried to flag me down and asked for directions.

I'm harsh enough to think cyclists don't *have* to bale out every unprepared dude.
Definitely! Flagging someone down when both parties are moving, unless it's an emergency*, is a no IMO.

*Or eg flagging down a friend who might reasonably expect it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:16:11 pm »
The motorist assumption that all cyclists are within a mile or two of home and therefore know the area well irks me well beyond reason.  It's not so much that they ask for directions, as the genuine confusion when you don't know the answer.

« Reply #33 on: 01 June, 2021, 04:34:52 pm »
Is there some important function of QR skewer springs that I'm unaware of?  I though they were simply a convenience to ensure there was room for the dropout on both sides of the hub when fitting the wheel.  Indeed, I'm fairly sure at least one of my wheels doesn't have any installed (front rack means the skewer has to be undone completely, so the springs are just additional pingfuckits).

skewer springs don't add any safety, only convenience when installing the wheel making both sides of the skewer equidistant from the axle. the wheel is just as secure without any springs at all, only is a bit more tricky to install.

edit. x-post

This is useful information, thank you!

« Reply #34 on: 02 June, 2021, 12:07:41 am »

Years ago I was flagged down by a lady in a rather posh car, asking for directions. She got offended when I dripped sweat into her nice car (it was a hot day and I had been riding hard, what did she expect?).Then she got offended again when the map I pulled out was a bit tatty from being in my pocket. I rode away and let her find her own way.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 02 June, 2021, 01:23:44 am »
Definitely! Flagging someone down when both parties are moving, unless it's an emergency*, is a no IMO.
*Or eg flagging down a friend who might reasonably expect it.

I think flagger was stationary FWIW.