Author Topic: How much should I pay?  (Read 2549 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
How much should I pay?
« on: 23 October, 2009, 12:07:03 pm »
For a mountain bike?

I know it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question.

I'd like front suspension and hydraulic discs and have set a tentative budget of £500. Nice to haves would be steel frame and a 29er (so that I can swap wheels with my Peregrine. This is for a bike that will be used once a month or so on not too demanding trails - for example the Nirvana Loop. Is this a realistic figure?

clarion

• Tyke
Re: How much should I pay...
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:09:00 pm »
Your piece of string is precisely 908.6530719mm long.
Getting there...

PaulF

Re: How much should I pay?
« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:13:01 pm »

Sorry don't do metric, what's that in fathoms?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »
'bout half.

But you identify the problem, really.  There's so many parameters.  And some people like to have the blingiest most expensive kit out there on the hills, but I wouldn't be brave enough to go up there with anything I can't afford to break :-[

It depends on your budget, but there seem to be a lot of decent machines at that sort of price point.  But aren't you in the US right now?  I guess that prices are cheaper over there, so you have greater choice.
Getting there...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:18:14 pm »

0.496857542 fathoms

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:21:11 pm »
Discs are a definite plus point, and I'd be looking for a hardtail too, unless I was after doing something really gnarly (trust me: I'm not ;D ).  Don't be too set on steel, though (did I say that? :o ), just go to a good bike shop and get some test rides done.  Of course, only do that if you're going to buy off them, otherwise get your test rides at Evans or equiv, who have a decent range, but clueless staff.

Would a 29er wheel be a straight swap for a 700c?  I'd check.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:22:03 pm »

0.496857542 fathoms

He doesn't do metric, so he probably wants it as a fraction.  Good luck with that ;D
Getting there...

PaulF

« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:24:44 pm »

Would a 29er wheel be a straight swap for a 700c?  I'd check.

Yes checked that when I was buying the Peregrine

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2009, 12:44:24 pm »
3 years ago, £500 might have been a realistic figure but I'd put it closer to £800 now for a complete bike.  The price of mountain biking bits has gone up massively in that time period.

The more you pay for a mountain bike, the better the fork you get and I would argue that you should spend more on the fork than the frame!  At least look for a Rockshox Tora as the baseline, a Rockshox Recon would be better.  The cheaper Rockshox (Dart) and Suntour forks are just not worth bothering with: you will be looking to replace it within the year.

A 29er fork is (probably) more expensive than a 26er fork, just due to them being a bit more niche.

For £800, you could buy a Genesis Altitude 00, which has a decent steel frame, a decent enough fork and good quality parts (mainly Shimano Deore).  Genesis are sometimes heavily discounted, so you may be able to find last years model for less.

« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2009, 01:35:36 pm »
On-one's scandal frame is great, they're 200 (and available in pink!). I had a steel 29er inbred before but it felt like it was asleep, the scandal is much perkier and more fun to ride.  I havent felt the need for a full sus yet, I just put a thudbuster seatpost in for the summer when the ground is really rutted so I can sit down for a bit without pain.

They used to sell them as complete bikes with a Reba something fork, I think it was 750 or 800 quid.  Worth phoning them up and asking...

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 23 October, 2009, 02:52:25 pm »
Scandal 29er is £999.  The Inbred will be a bit cheaper, once they finally get some in.

Save up and buy a Swift.  You know you want to. :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2009, 04:41:07 pm »
Scandal 29er is £999.  The Inbred will be a bit cheaper, once they finally get some in.

Save up and buy a Swift.  You know you want to. :thumbsup:

That was really what I was trying to avoid ???

But it's probably what I want  :thumbsup: Do think I can get a discount as a repeat buyer?

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2009, 01:38:13 am »
Look at the Giant range, very good spec for the money.

« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2009, 04:20:41 pm »
Your spec/price balance looks OK until add "29er" and "steel". If those are must-haves then second-hand is only real option at < £750 IMO.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.