Author Topic: Hadleigh Castle 2012 olympics  (Read 5022 times)

Domestique

Hadleigh Castle 2012 olympics
« on: 06 June, 2008, 06:44:50 am »
I saw a bit on the news last night, but cant find a link, Hadleigh castle could be the possible site for the 2012 mtb race
Bring it on  :thumbsup:

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Hadleigh Castle 2012 olympics
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2008, 07:48:52 am »
 :D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:25:55 pm »
Well, it's an improvement on the original site, I suppose.

It's actually got the odd contour (7 to be precise...).  ::-)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2008, 01:56:26 pm »
:(    It's bad enough having it in London, but locally here in Essex?    Boo.

Domestique

« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:08:51 am »

If it happens, you dont have to go  ;)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2008, 05:17:15 pm »
Shuddup y'old misery guts!!!  :P :P :P
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:16:37 pm »

If it happens, you dont have to go  ;)

yebbut nobut yebbut...  If I'm in the area I won't be able to move for the congestion caused by all the spectators gridlocking the area.    It was bad enough in 1999 (I think was the date) when everybody decided to go over there to watch the eclipse.

Domestique

« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:18:30 pm »
It was bad enough in 1999 (I think was the date) when everybody decided to go over there to watch the eclipse.

Moaning old goat  ;D

Think positive, by 2012 oil will be so expensive there wont be any cars on the road  8)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:20:05 pm »
Or aeroplanes in the sky. No-one there at all. In fact, Nutty, since I've had a steroid injection, I think you are the British team and I'm the crowd. I'll bring Morphy.

Actually there are some very serious gradients in the Country Park. It could be quite exciting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:37:03 pm »
It's also a country park.

Let's keep it that way and not have it churned up by the racers and spectators, or tarmac roads and grandstands built.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

(<--  miserable bugger)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:49:20 pm »
I agree with that last sentiment.

It's actually very nice as it is and those of us who use it regularly want it kept that way.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »

yebbut nobut yebbut...  If I'm in the area I won't be able to move for the congestion caused by all the spectators gridlocking the area.    It was bad enough in 1999 (I think was the date) when everybody decided to go over there to watch the eclipse.

Don't just stand there moaning. Get out there and sell some ice cream. You'll make yourself rich :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2008, 08:05:45 pm »
Good idea Teethgrinder.

I shall invite Mr Larrington  ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2008, 09:00:51 pm »
You've got a few years to fettle up an ice-cream trike. :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2008, 09:04:38 pm »
I wouldn't bother. All the ice-cream sales outlets were placed in the hands of Nulabour lackeys within minutes of the announcement that the Olympics were coming to London. Get in their way and they will pulp you into "Health & Safety" leaflets before you can say "Mandelson".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2008, 09:12:47 pm »
BBC link

If they need a height drop of 300 metres, it won't be in SE England at all, and most certainly not Essex. They might be able to get close if they went to the Surrey Alps or Berkshire, but one of the existing MTB sites in Wales would be much more suitable.

« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:31:48 pm »
BBC link

If they need a height drop of 300 metres, it won't be in SE England at all, and most certainly not Essex. They might be able to get close if they went to the Surrey Alps or Berkshire, but one of the existing MTB sites in Wales would be much more suitable.

The MTB trails in Wales would struggle with the spectators, though... My suggestion would be Eastnor Castle - site of the Mountain Mayhem for the past few years, which always attracts several thousand (and that's just the competitors!  :thumbsup:). Coincidentally, according to Google Maps, it's the same distance (give or take 5 miles) from London as the Sailing venue (Weymouth)  ;)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Si

« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:22:26 am »
BBC link

The MTB trails in Wales would struggle with the spectators, though... My suggestion would be Eastnor Castle - site of the Mountain Mayhem for the past few years, which always attracts several thousand (and that's just the competitors!  :thumbsup:). Coincidentally, according to Google Maps, it's the same distance (give or take 5 miles) from London as the Sailing venue (Weymouth)  ;)

Yep, good for spectators but I've always found it a bit of a glorified cyclocross course rather than a real XC course,not much real technical stuff there.  But I guess that's what the pros want these days.  what about Plymouth - if it was OK for a WC event....plus its down in the south.  Hang on, I can ride to Malvern to watch it....yep I'm with you - Malvern is the one.

Craig

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2008, 02:44:23 am »
BBC link

Or Fort William, which has already hosted the MTB World Cup six times, and the World Championships once. And coped fine with 500+ competitors and 10,000+ spectators, and got several awards for the best event of the series etc.
Unfortunately its rather unlikely to be there, as all of the Olympic venues seem to be decided purely on the distance from London (despite the claims that the Olympics will benefit the whole of the UK...). Fort William does have a direct train from London.

Though do they really mean "a height difference of at least 300 metres from the highest point of the course to the lowest"? That would require quite a bit of a hill. I assume they actually mean 300m of ascent / descent per lap, which is perhaps still a little on the high side - Fort William has 277m ascent per lap.

Domestique

« Reply #19 on: 18 June, 2008, 03:14:32 pm »
In todays local chip wrapper the Salvation Army has said its all for it.

Sally Army Ok For Olympic Bikers At Hadleigh (from Echo)

It's also a country park.

Let's keep it that way and not have it churned up by the racers and spectators, or tarmac roads and grandstands built.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

(<--  miserable bugger)