Author Topic: Fords  (Read 96022 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Fords
« Reply #75 on: 07 December, 2011, 02:12:47 pm »
I must head out along that road at some point.. Sounds like fun. It took me a while before I could place the photo - having only ever driven the B road.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #76 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:25:44 pm »
I must head out along that road at some point.. Sounds like fun. It took me a while before I could place the photo - having only ever driven the B road.

Yes, you must.
The google street-view of the same point shows a White Van just hitting the first steep kick:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=56.894344,-2.550695&spn=0.009505,0.033023&hnear=AB14,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=56.894417,-2.550597&panoid=OO-dTxQgyOduclTCo9LF5A&cbp=12,254.8,,0,-6.49

From then on it's "Thank you Sir, can I have more, Sir?" for 3.25k.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:43:19 pm »

This blurry photo is actually a cheat - not because I'm not riding through in the pic (it's hard to take a photo of yourself riding!) but because:
a) it's not a ford, it's a stream running over a bridlepath - the stream bed forms the track of the path for about 50 metres
b) I didn't ride through the water any more than was necessary to take the photo. It's only a couple of inches deep but too long for me and you're riding over bumpy stones. Would be good on a MTB I'm sure, but too many bumps for me, I'm afraid. Instead I rode along the footpath just out of shot to the right. Sorry. I thought you'd like to see it anyway for inspiration.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #78 on: 03 June, 2012, 07:43:22 pm »
Here's a low water crossing at Lilley Bottom in Hertfordshire, after this week's rain:

« Reply #79 on: 01 July, 2012, 11:31:31 pm »
Ford on the River Stort at Clavering in Essex.

I fell into the River Cam (or Granta) at Hinxton today, but sadly there is no photographic record of the event.

« Reply #80 on: 15 July, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »
The wet weather is immersing fords that are normally dry or nearly dry. Here's a ford on the River Stour at Little Thurlow in Suffolk:

And this is on Bumpstead Brook at Steeple Bumpstead in Essex:

Photos by Nigel.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #81 on: 15 July, 2012, 09:00:17 pm »
Beat me to it!  I got a picture of that ford on my way home today, though I didn't go through it.

Not sure which one you were, but I was the lone cyclist who turned up at Tubby T's on the fully laden tourer while your group was there.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #82 on: 18 July, 2012, 06:19:54 pm »
Here's a ford on the River Stiffkey at Great Walsingham in Norfolk. It's on National Cycle Route 1, so I expect many of you have dipped your wheel here:

Sorry about the quality—all I had was a camera phone and it was raining. There's another ford on this river not far away at Houghton St Giles, but we didn't fancy that one as it was more than a foot deep.

« Reply #83 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:23:29 pm »
Also poor quality, who expects the sun? Also on NCN1, Pease Bay, near Cockburnspath.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #84 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:27:32 pm »
Steeple Bumpstead: same day, different angle.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #85 on: 19 July, 2012, 09:48:37 am »
Also on NCN1, Pease Bay, near Cockburnspath.

That's a really cunningly composed photo! (Apart from the giant hand at the top, obvs.) You've managed to make it look like a beautiful remote glen by cropping out the caravans, the skip, the sign warning you not to use the skip, the building site ...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #86 on: 19 July, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »
This one is near Earl Shilton Leicestershire & found on the Two Battles 200k audax.  Me & Jogler waded through the tail end of it up to our knees & the van stuck in the middle of it is a Waitrose delivery van  ;D

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=448360&Y=298152&A=Y&Z=120&ax=449505&ay=297692
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #87 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:14:04 pm »
This one is near Earl Shilton Leicestershire & found on the Two Battles 200k audax.

Nice! The stream is Thurlaston Brook and you can see how high it is by comparing your photo with Google Street View.

« Reply #88 on: 19 July, 2012, 04:41:14 pm »

That's a really cunningly composed photo! (Apart from the giant hand at the top, obvs.) You've managed to make it look like a beautiful remote glen by cropping out the caravans, the skip, the sign warning you not to use the skip, the building site ...

And all that with the 28mm equivalent and -2/3EV on my camera. I was in doubt about going through the ford because I had no idea how deep it was, and the water has quite some speed there. If it would be up to my hubs I am afraid I'd ended up in the sea. I'd advise against it with disc wheels.
Also, it was very sunny that day, the Google picture is a gray day.
I hadn't noticed the skip or the sign, it is very steep downhill there (unsuitable for caravans), until the ford, and then up again.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

PH

« Reply #89 on: 19 July, 2012, 07:26:13 pm »

At least the footbridge got left in...
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52233.msg1058332#msg1058332

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #90 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:12:21 am »
Newbie here.

I take it you know about this site, I used to use it a lot when I was travelling about in my Land Rovers

http://www.wetroads.co.uk/

As as for deep water?
How about this idiot in the floods a few years ago at Castleford???
He's on the 'Barnsdale Road', which is the 'Roman Road' that goes from the bridge over the River Aire, up towards Peckfield Bar & Aberford

Then again, he's probably not a cyclist, just a 'bloke on a bike'

If there was a manhole cover blown off by water pressure (before the levels rose so high) he'd have never be seen again

Zooomed in image

Road from start of closure

He was walking/struggling through half-a-mile of water

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #91 on: 23 August, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
Linky not quite worky.  Try this:

Newbie here.

I take it you know about this site, I used to use it a lot when I was travelling about in my Land Rovers

As as for deep water?
He's on the 'Barnsdale Road', which is the 'Roman Road' that goes from the bridge over the River Aire, up towards Peckfield Bar & Aberford

If there was a manhole cover blown off by water pressure (before the levels rose so high) he'd have never be seen again

Zooomed in image

ETA:  Oh, you got it sorted.  OK, never mind.  Interesting link, btw, thanks.

Getting there...

« Reply #92 on: 23 August, 2012, 11:08:47 am »
How about this idiot in the floods a few years ago at Castleford? He was walking/struggling through half-a-mile of water

You say "idiot", we say "intrepid explorer".

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #93 on: 23 August, 2012, 11:57:51 am »
How about this idiot in the floods a few years ago at Castleford? He was walking/struggling through half-a-mile of water
You say "idiot", we say "intrepid explorer".

Or.............. Darwin Award winner

« Reply #94 on: 23 August, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »
Richard, this is a topic for pictures of people cycling through fords, so let's not be policing other peoples' decisions as to what level of risk to accept, please. I'd like to feel that people could post pictures of themselves and their friends doing silly and risky things without fearing that someone is going to come along and call them an idiot.

« Reply #95 on: 23 August, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »
Aye, well said, Gareth.

I have my opinions of people who *drive* through fords - but I'll keep those to myself.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #96 on: 23 August, 2012, 01:14:36 pm »
Here's one of the fords on Bourn Brook at Caxton End in Cambridgeshire, with a cyclist entering the water only after undertaking a careful risk assessment:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #97 on: 23 August, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »
Newbie here.

As as for deep water?

Zooomed in image

Zoinks!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #98 on: 26 August, 2012, 08:27:19 pm »
I was at this one today, just outside Luckington in Wiltshire.

Not as deep as I'd expected but the concrete approach was so slimy that I would have fallen over when I stopped and put my foot down if there hadn't been a wall to grab! Though tbh this partly my lack of care - it's much less slimy near the bridge, and the other end is gravel so should be fine. I used the bridge but a little further up the road (which is a great way to Malmesbury) I met two trailie cyclists who were looking forward to fording.

« Reply #99 on: 16 September, 2012, 08:48:10 pm »
Here's a ford on the River Quin at Braughing in Hertfordshire:

And a couple of fords that have featured here before. Left: the River Rib at Barwick in Hertfordshire. Right: the River Ash at Much Hadham in Hertfordshire.