Author Topic: Show me your Sugru hacks  (Read 2754 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Show me your Sugru hacks
« on: 05 January, 2019, 07:00:09 pm »
I'm building up a list of projects for Sugru. Now, I know there are ideas on the Sugru website, but I'm sure you guys have done so much better, either on, or off the bike.
So please show or tell me your wondrous hacks  :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Show me your Sugru hacks
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2019, 07:11:17 pm »
I made a grip to go on the front of my Olympus XZ-1. It transformed the camera.

Other than that, I wonder if Apple have shares in Sugru, as I fashion yet another repair to an Apple cable.
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2019, 07:29:20 pm »
One of the racks in our dishwasher had some cracks in the plastic coating on the wires - patched with the magic material ... worked a treat, impervious to hot water and the noxious chemicals in the tablets.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
* the obligatory blob around the fraying bits of Apple laptop power leads
* around bits of the metal bit of toe straps so they don't scratch bike frames when used to attach luggage
* a scoop around the power button of a fibre flare light to make it easier to locate
* blobs on the end of bungee cord hooks to make them less of a menace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2019, 07:51:52 pm »
Extra-long bar-end shifter for the weak of hand - tapped the original lever for a pair of M3 screws and attached a toothbrush handle, before coating in Sugru:

It's like a bought one!

After several years of use, repaired a chip in the above caused by carelessly bashing it while carrying the trike through a doorway on its side without first shifting to a smaller ring.  The colour doesn't quite match.

Makita battery to USB adaptor, with bodged 18V polyfused output, for mobile soldering[1].  By bodging on the DC jack externally with Sugru, I was able to preserve the functionality of the USB outputs:

Protecting trailer box contents from being nobbled by the back of screws holding feet and reflectors in place:

Don't have a picture, but I used some to form a bumper for the underside of a fibreglass recumbent seat, to protect it from getting bashed by the parking brake lever as the steering flops about.

Filled in a gap in the rubber grip coating on the back of a mildly crash-damaged eTrex.

A couple of unsuccessful attempts to manufacture replacement rubber buttons for things with damaged rubber buttons.

Not had to do the cable strain relief bodge thing yet, but I put that down to owning a soldering iron, an assortment of heatshrink and no products of the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia.

[1] The TS-100 is a clever open-source thermostatic soldering iron that runs on a 12-24V DC supply (so will happily run directly from most Toshiba-style 19V laptop power supplies).  Don't buy one!  They've since released the TS-80, which can be powered from a USB powerbank or wall-wart that supports the QC3.0 standard.

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2019, 08:08:12 am »
The power and ethernet cables running to my electric uppy/downy standing desk are attached to the radiator by magnets-in-Sugru, which keeps then out of the way while also allowing some movement with the desk.

Small lumps of Sugru added either side of the start/stop button on my Garmin watch to reduce accidental actuation-by-glove-cuff.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2019, 09:39:26 am »
Looks like I may have to obtain some of this stuff as the power lead for Emily the TwatNav is getting a little frayed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2019, 02:51:02 pm »
Envious of the smoooooth productions shown above. My efforts look like occupational therapy with plasticene & the palsy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2019, 05:21:20 pm »

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2019, 08:57:19 pm »
I used some to make a stand from my inline cable socket charger for my vape pen. I did the same for my friends mum on her wheelchair.

I've used some on the wall to protect the fridge door where it hits it.

Made little cable holders to hold my phone charging and laptop cables to stop them falling off the edge of the cupboard

I covered an old screwdriver handle where the previous plastic was starting to breakdown and become goey.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2019, 11:13:21 pm »
I like the Lego people cable holders on the Sugru website :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11 on: 29 February, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »
I want to try Sugru to help me fit a light securely on a rack.

Ideally I want the Sugru to conform to a horizontal member of the rack. It is not fully round in cross-section. I want the moulded Sugru to stay attached to the light, not the rack, so that I can take it off by way of an O-ring. Or at least, I want the Sugru to stay attached to either rack or light, not both. How I do I do that?

« Reply #12 on: 29 February, 2020, 06:45:23 pm »
That’s not going to work, I have realised, so restrain yourselves.

I’m learning this with folding bikes: everything affects everything else.

« Reply #13 on: 29 February, 2020, 06:58:36 pm »

Ahhhh... Grasshopper....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 29 February, 2020, 07:44:36 pm »

Ahhhh... Grasshopper....

The Grasshopper only barely counts as a folding bike :)