Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 126038 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #950 on: 09 September, 2023, 07:54:23 pm »
On the topic of tape measures these   https://www.hultafors.co.uk/products/talmeter   are brilliant for measuring between points (like the internal width of a cabinet) - the fold-out piece has the measurement componsated for on a dual scale on the main tape.

« Reply #951 on: 10 September, 2023, 08:46:41 am »
That is how the Stanley 33-932 works.  The scale shown in the window is really the back of the 'tape' that you see as it's pulled from the case. No fold-out piece needed.

US Patent 4574486A (1984, expired 2004)

A top reading rule has a coilable blade with measuring indicia on both surfaces thereof. On its surface visible through the top reading window, the measuring indicia are offset from the outer end thereof and includes a longitudinally extending central band of a color distinct from the background and directional pointers spaced along the length of the band of a color distinct from that of the band. The pointers indicate the direction of increasing numbers so that a user may readily determine the length represented by graduations intermediate the numbers.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #952 on: 10 September, 2023, 08:45:10 pm »
I got an automatic centre punch recently, I haven't used one before so didn't know quite what to expect, it's actually quite fun to use.

« Reply #953 on: 10 September, 2023, 10:25:46 pm »
Does it need batteries?

robgul

« Reply #954 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:08:30 am »
Does it need batteries?

I got one recently - excellent - it works like a hand-held miniature spring-loaded pogo-stick

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #955 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:37:11 am »
Witchfinder Sergeant Pulsifer would love one.

Hm... so would I
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #956 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:55:30 am »
BTW, don't you love wedges?  Working on the barn door last week I used a couple of hardwood wedges to edge the individual 4-metre boards into position vertically & laterally, and it was so easy it was fun.

« Reply #957 on: 11 September, 2023, 11:12:12 am »
I got an automatic centre punch recently, I haven't used one before so didn't know quite what to expect, it's actually quite fun to use.

Very handy for removing the threaded part of a machine screw where the head has sheared off.

« Reply #958 on: 18 September, 2023, 05:40:06 pm »
In about 2010 I got a Bosch rechargeable drill kit with two batteries. The batteries are still in use, but the drill has been changed as the hammer function stopped working.

The new drill is smaller, lighter and the chuck goes up to 13 mm instead of 10 mm and it's brushless and it takes the same batteries.

I have several other tools that take the same batteries. I think that the list is a hedge trimmer, garden blower, strimmer and a sander.

Today SWMBO got a vacuum cleaner that takes the same battery type, and it was the first item since the original kit that contained a battery.

The battery is smaller (45 mm tall as opposed to 55 mm tall) and heavier (375 g vs 330 g) and it doesn't have the ability to be charged from underneath. It is also twice the nominal capacity of the old ones. I am quite impressed by the fact that Bosch had stuck to the same standard* and have improved the battery capacity so much.

*The micro chainsaw, and the lawnmower, also Bosch, have different batteries.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #959 on: 18 September, 2023, 09:14:23 pm »
It's in their interest to maintain the standard as much as possible; once you are bought into a battery ecosystem you are more likely to keep brand loyalty, whereas if they change it every year or two then you'll evaluate other brands every time you buy a tool. I'm using Makita, they've definitely had more money from me than if I had to buy full kits every time. Whilst they do have some different batteries, for the vast majority of stuff if you're on the 18V LXT batteries then bigger stuff (like lawnmowers that may be 36V) just use two of them rather than going to a different type.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #960 on: 19 September, 2023, 12:03:17 am »
This, though it's somewhat easier to come by Anna Daptor than it used to be.

I bought a 4Ah[1] LXT battery recenty.  It's indistinguishable from my 3Ah LXT batteries, apart from 50%[2] more capacity than the less-knackered one.

[1] The current price:performance sweet-spot.
[2] Actually measured, for SCIENCE.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #961 on: 19 September, 2023, 08:19:55 am »
Being a cheapskate, I bought a local DIY emporium's own-brand electric chainsaw some years ago then was rather pleased to find that it was an OEM Einhell so the batteries fitted stuff sold by Aldi and various other cheapskate's paradises .  I have an impact driver and a circular saw using the same batteries.  They're fit for purpose if you're not bent on building Noah's Ark.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #962 on: 19 September, 2023, 09:30:34 am »
i got a Stihl battery chainsaw a couple of weeks ago.  It has an AK20 battery, about 40m run time
The battery is supposed to work in all the Stihl power tools

« Reply #963 on: 22 September, 2023, 08:22:53 am »
I am now the proud owner of a one of these - I did wonder as Makita haven't made one themselves, I wondered why, but I stuck it out and bought one anyway. The one linked to appears to be decent build quality (without any electronic clevers, just posi/negi tives) and the nozzle isn't specially clever, but it works, can cope with a high flow (found out when I trashed one of the inferior glue sticks that came with it) and run time is about an hour an a 5Ah battery. The large trigger gives a whole hand grip and allows excellent control, and the cordlessness makes for a good sticky experience. The battery also makes for an excellent stand. All in all, don't know how I survived as long without, I recommend it to the house (the Makita fanboi house)

(I'm trying to ignore their Makita soldering station)

« Reply #964 on: 22 September, 2023, 09:40:08 am »
Interesting. I note they do a hot air gun too. Back of a fag packet calculation suggests a 5 minute run time on a 5Ah battery...

robgul

« Reply #965 on: 22 September, 2023, 11:51:29 am »
I am now the proud owner of a one of these - I did wonder as Makita haven't made one themselves, I wondered why, but I stuck it out and bought one anyway. The one linked to appears to be decent build quality (without any electronic clevers, just posi/negi tives) and the nozzle isn't specially clever, but it works, can cope with a high flow (found out when I trashed one of the inferior glue sticks that came with it) and run time is about an hour an a 5Ah battery. The large trigger gives a whole hand grip and allows excellent control, and the cordlessness makes for a good sticky experience. The battery also makes for an excellent stand. All in all, don't know how I survived as long without, I recommend it to the house (the Makita fanboi house)

(I'm trying to ignore their Makita soldering station)

Being on the Einhell platform I'm about to purchase their glue gun . . . looks pretty similar to yours.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #966 on: 22 September, 2023, 01:19:19 pm »
There are a couple of teardown videos of Einhell stuff on Youtube.  Seems generally to be good value for money. I don't think I'd be keen on their planer/thicknesser, though.

robgul

« Reply #967 on: 22 September, 2023, 02:19:16 pm »
There are a couple of teardown videos of Einhell stuff on Youtube.  Seems generally to be good value for money. I don't think I'd be keen on their planer/thicknesser, though.

I've had the Einhell stuff, progresively swapping old stuff, over about 18 months and pretty pleased so far - I have a cheapie Aldi P/T which is actually Scheppac ... does the job for work that I need. 

We have a couple of Einhell garden tools too - fertiliser spreader (un-powered) and a very light battery leaf blower . . . we have a battery lawn-mower, Mountfield, which is great but I wish we'd bought the Einhell for simplicity with the batteries.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #968 on: 11 October, 2023, 03:09:16 pm »
Just received the chain-link spreader/squeezer that Rob mentioned the other day, and picked up a digital Vernier calliper in Aldi for 8€.  My previous one didn't survive a winter in the workshop.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #969 on: 11 October, 2023, 03:11:49 pm »
I bought a secondhand Makita belt sander to restore my GWR bench, and it is the best tool ever.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #970 on: 11 October, 2023, 04:07:05 pm »
Just received the chain-link spreader/squeezer that Rob mentioned the other day, and picked up a digital Vernier calliper in Aldi for 8€.  My previous one didn't survive a winter in the workshop.

Tip (possibly) - you may find the the rubber/plastic sleeves slide about - remove and squeeze a dab of glue (UHU works) in and replace sleeves.

. . . and beware - those digital verniers eat batteries even when it's allegedly off - I don't use mine any more having reverted to the good old analogue one.

« Reply #971 on: 11 October, 2023, 04:31:44 pm »
They do. Removing the battery is tedious but it solves the problem. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #972 on: 11 October, 2023, 05:05:30 pm »
Thanks, Rob, on both counts.  My first digital vernier did pretty well OK until it didn't do at all, even with new batteries. I'll pop the battery on this one, though.

« Reply #973 on: 11 October, 2023, 08:27:28 pm »
I got a micrometer from Lidl last week for £7.

I think each store only had a few, they were sold out quite quickly.

I checked it against another micrometer, there's a difference of less than 1/100 of a mm, eg 0.673mm vs 0.680mm.

robgul

« Reply #974 on: 11 October, 2023, 09:30:21 pm »
I've just acquired a Record* sawdust extraction machine at a very good secondhand price - collecting on Friday. 

It'll replace my Henry and the "cyclone on a box" that works, but only just.  The new one will sit where the box is and the Henry will be freed up for its actual purpose as a vacuum cleaner.  The new machine should also eat the chips comng out of my planer/thicknesser machine instead of having to let them spray all over the workshop floor and then be shovelled up.

* and it's green to match the Record air cleaner/filter machine I have hanging from the ceiling :thumbsup: