Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 201260 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #600 on: 28 July, 2016, 08:20:24 am »
I quite often have egg n bacon for breakfast but I've been feeling a bit concerned about how much bacon I've been eating lately, so this morning I went for the healthy option and had a cheese omelette.

Next up was to prepare something for lunch, but the cupboard was a bit bare apart from some salad and 'slaw. So I frazzled up some bacon to top it off. :)

« Reply #601 on: 10 August, 2016, 09:11:32 pm »
Some really interesting (and some not so) reading in this thread.

I started my LCHF/Banting/Keto/wevs journey almost a week ago now and have been blown away by results so far. Obviously early days yet, but still.

One of the reasons I jumped on the bandwagon was reading this a while back - http://julianabuhring.com/keto-baby/

LMT

« Reply #602 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:07:21 pm »
Some really interesting (and some not so) reading in this thread.

I started my LCHF/Banting/Keto/wevs journey almost a week ago now and have been blown away by results so far. Obviously early days yet, but still.

One of the reasons I jumped on the bandwagon was reading this a while back - http://julianabuhring.com/keto-baby/

Hmm, dunno, ''Fourth, I sleep better. My average is 7-8 hours a night, and I wake up feeling sharp and energetic'' yet ''I get up in the morning and have a coffee or two''

''Things like bacon and salami are great sources of protein and fat, and while absolutely delicious, I have stopped eating anything from pigs. They are just too intelligent, I think about eating my dog and it just hurts. Yeah, conscientious objector. I am feeling that way about most animals these days. So, eggs. Lotsa eggs.''

They are also sources of cholesterol, and whilst it is good that she has made the connection between Porky the Pig and bacon, instead she is consuming eggs which have been shown to be one of the highest causes of saturated fat and cholesterol. I wonder if she knows how many baby male chicks are killed within hours of birth?

The funny thing that I'm seeing with a Keto diet is it being billed as good for endurance, as long as you don't go above threshold and with the right training you don't need to go on a Keto diet.

« Reply #603 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »

Hmm, dunno, ''Fourth, I sleep better. My average is 7-8 hours a night, and I wake up feeling sharp and energetic'' yet ''I get up in the morning and have a coffee or two''

''Things like bacon and salami are great sources of protein and fat, and while absolutely delicious, I have stopped eating anything from pigs. They are just too intelligent, I think about eating my dog and it just hurts. Yeah, conscientious objector. I am feeling that way about most animals these days. So, eggs. Lotsa eggs.''

They are also sources of cholesterol, and whilst it is good that she has made the connection between Porky the Pig and bacon, instead she is consuming eggs which have been shown to be one of the highest causes of saturated fat and cholesterol. I wonder if she knows how many baby male chicks are killed within hours of birth?

Why do you think the only reason people drinking coffee = an energy boost? That's not why I drink it. Peculiar.

Cholesterol = https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/eggs-fats-and-the-new-dietary-guidelines/

LMT

« Reply #604 on: 11 August, 2016, 12:53:27 pm »

Why do you think the only reason people drinking coffee = an energy boost? That's not why I drink it. Peculiar.

Cholesterol = https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/eggs-fats-and-the-new-dietary-guidelines/

That may be why you don't drink it, but one of the reasons that people drink coffee is the caffeine. And be careful about quoting links to studies, I can do that.
http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/09/10/eggs-vs-cigarettes-in-atherosclerosis/

« Reply #605 on: 11 August, 2016, 04:31:00 pm »
I come here to hear about peoples experiences, advice & opinions (positive & negative) of low carb eating.

please could we split off the last few replies

« Reply #606 on: 11 August, 2016, 04:32:48 pm »
...as an aside I understand that is possible to eat vegan and be ketogenic. That would be interesting to hear about.

Not reeeeally. Vegetarian is easy, but not vegan.

LMT

« Reply #607 on: 11 August, 2016, 05:25:57 pm »
...as an aside I understand that is possible to eat vegan and be ketogenic. That would be interesting to hear about.

Not reeeeally. Vegetarian is easy, but not vegan.

Keto on a vegan diet is perfectly doable.

« Reply #608 on: 12 August, 2016, 10:45:21 am »
It amazes me how someone who openly states “Meat is murder”, can thoughtlessly chop the head off a living carrot.

Maybe the vegetarian thinks that because a carrot isn’t woolly and cuddly and doesn’t hop round a field making bleating noises, but merely stands in the ground, it doesn’t have any quality of life, and it doesn’t deserve a ‘Thank you’ for giving its life for the nourishment of its murderer.

Vegetable rights.

« Reply #609 on: 12 August, 2016, 10:55:50 am »
Can someone link me to the thread with the other replies in? Or am I banned from that board?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #610 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:18:12 pm »
It's in Politics and Other Big Issues (POBI) in the pub.
As debate there can be 'lively', you will need to ask rogerzilla to enable you to enter.
There be DRAGONS!

« Reply #611 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:29:35 pm »
As debate there can be 'lively', you will need to ask rogerzilla to enable you to enter.
There be DRAGONS!

Oh, I'm not /that/ arsed tbh. Shame.

I'm 10lbs down at the weigh in this morning. Which is nice. All water like, but nice still.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #612 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:49:18 pm »
There be DRAGONS!

Oh, I'm not /that/ arsed tbh. Shame.

I'm 10lbs down at the weigh in this morning. Which is nice. All water like, but nice still.

You don't need to ask anybody. Go to Profile - Account settings. In a menu there (you might have to hover over something, depends what skin you're using) There's a "Group Membership" option. Add "P&OBI".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #613 on: 12 August, 2016, 02:02:04 pm »
I sit corrected.
There be DRAGONS thobut!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #614 on: 12 August, 2016, 02:17:09 pm »
I sit corrected.
There be DRAGONS thobut!

Yep, and grumpy people who are never wrong.  ;D

« Reply #615 on: 18 August, 2016, 07:56:47 pm »
I've been following keto for a few months now and continued this on the ACH Iceland trip. Worked fine, and had time to experiment with additional carbs. Cake etc. give a boost but seemed to make me drowsy afterwards. UCAN superstarch didn't have the drowsy effect. Best results seemed to come from not eating on the ride and just having some food at the end of the day.

« Reply #616 on: 18 August, 2016, 10:10:26 pm »
Anyone got any advice on drinks? Water is great and all, but I'd love to mix it up a bit...

Chris S

« Reply #617 on: 19 August, 2016, 12:04:43 am »
Anyone got any advice on drinks? Water is great and all, but I'd love to mix it up a bit...

Water + Zero (Electrolytes)
Tesco no added sugar cloudy lemonade (you have to be able to put up with Sucralose if you want this).
Diet Coke (Aspartame - not as bad as the Permanently Paranoid would make out - but not "real").
Tea
Coffee
Green Tea
Bullet Proof coffee (Google it, and get ready to try the Hug inna Mug that is coffee + butter... Mmmm)
Vodka
Dry red wine

Beer is liquid bread, and is verboten if you're being strict - proof if you need it, there is no god.

« Reply #618 on: 19 August, 2016, 02:40:35 pm »

Water + Zero (Electrolytes)
Tesco no added sugar cloudy lemonade (you have to be able to put up with Sucralose if you want this).
Diet Coke (Aspartame - not as bad as the Permanently Paranoid would make out - but not "real").
Tea
Coffee
Green Tea
Bullet Proof coffee (Google it, and get ready to try the Hug inna Mug that is coffee + butter... Mmmm)
Vodka
Dry red wine

Beer is liquid bread, and is verboten if you're being strict - proof if you need it, there is no god.

I've drank 'bulletproof' coffee for a couple of years now - usually coconut oil, but butter now and again. Not keen on tea without milk!

Everything I've read has warned me off fizzy drinks? Especially diet coke/zero. Is it actually OK?

Re: Beer. I have no idea why I started doing this before Belgium  :facepalm:

« Reply #619 on: 19 August, 2016, 04:30:32 pm »

Everything I've read has warned me off fizzy drinks? Especially diet coke/zero. Is it actually OK?

Badoit.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #620 on: 19 August, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »
I've acquired a taste for single malt whisky , though not when I'm riding. :)

The weird bit is I no longer like tea with milk...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #621 on: 19 August, 2016, 09:25:43 pm »
IMO 'Diet' fizzy drinks are fairly harmless. (They are not tooth-friendly, like anything that fizzes, especially if fruity.) I really don't believe aspartame is harmful. Some people dislike its taste.

« Reply #622 on: 21 August, 2016, 01:28:43 pm »
anybody got any Keto juicing recipes to share or books to recommend?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #623 on: 22 August, 2016, 09:43:40 pm »
Earlier in this thread, I think someone had queried just how viable a ketogenic diet would be for going fast. 

I had an interesting experience on the Whitstable FNRttC at the weekend.  As I wasn't TECing, nor leading the ride for a change, I got to do a lot of waymarking involving zooming around a lot, as well as partaking in the traditional 7 mile sprint for the finish to the Waterfront Cafe. 

On going through my GPS data for the final stretch, which included setting off from a stop, I found I averaged 24.7 mph with a peak of 32.3 mph and found I could do with some higher gearing than 50x11.  Also, I wasn't particularly out of breath (unlike everyone I'd overtaken) and felt I could easily have carried on going, which certainly wasn't the case the last time I raced that section before I went keto, when despite doing similar riding, was completely wasted before the end. 

So, totally unscientific, but I certainly felt being keto has improved my top end as well as my endurance.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #624 on: 23 August, 2016, 08:26:14 am »
The telling statistic is "What speed did you average riding back UP the hill against the wind?"