Author Topic: 100 ml containers in hand luggage  (Read 609 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
100 ml containers in hand luggage
« on: 15 April, 2024, 05:00:05 pm »
I am travelling to the states and wish to take some stuff for a friend. She would like about 7 containers of Dove antiperspirant.  I can buy and collect from the airport but that costs £5 regardless of quantity ordered or I can take it in hand luggage.

However the web states 20cm x 20 cm bags but the actual airport bags ( clear plastic) measure approximately 14cm square.

Should I take a punt or order for the airport and suck up the fee?  Also I guess given the size of the containers I may only get about 6 in

Thanks

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: 100 ml containers in hand luggage
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2024, 05:05:47 pm »
Last time I went through security at an airport, they were having a go at people who used more than one of the bags.  They were also being arsey about people using larger bags that weren't supplied by the airport.

That said, I've previously used larger bags and no-one has batted an eyelid.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2024, 05:06:38 pm »
What size are the Dove containers?
Will 7 of them fit in the permitted size of bag?

You don't need to use the Airport's bags, you can take your own, so long as they meet the requirements.
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/liquids

containers must hold no more than 100ml
containers must be in a single, transparent, resealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm
contents must fit comfortably inside the bag so it can be sealed
the bag must not be knotted or tied at the top
you’re limited to 1 plastic bag per person
you must show the bag at the airport security point

Why not buy them in advance, and just chuck them in your hold luggage so you don't have to faff with them at the airport?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2024, 05:28:20 pm »
Is there something special about the ones in the UK? Cos the web says Dove antiperspirant is available in various varieties at CVS and Walmart for about $7.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2024, 05:57:19 pm »
Is there something special about the ones in the UK? Cos the web says Dove antiperspirant is available in various varieties at CVS and Walmart for about $7.

Bet it's full of high-fructose corn syrup, thobut.

velosam

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:02:27 pm »

No idea but its what she wants and I am staying with them, so will just do what they want.   Much easier.  I am not taking any hold luggage

I did find a slightly undersized zip lock,  20x17 and that just fits 6-7, so.will use that. However the airport bags are very undersized. I also have a clear toilet bag that zips but that had a depth of 4cm which makes the volume a lot bigger.  Also I am jnot sure if the 20x20 is the sealed amount or the bag size?

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:50:09 pm »
If you don't want to put them in your hold bag then see if there's a Boots after security - then do a click & collect order for that shop. Never tried it myself, but a relative often does this.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:23:28 pm »

No idea but its what she wants and I am staying with them, so will just do what they want.   Much easier.  I am not taking any hold luggage

I did find a slightly undersized zip lock,  20x17 and that just fits 6-7, so.will use that. However the airport bags are very undersized. I also have a clear toilet bag that zips but that had a depth of 4cm which makes the volume a lot bigger.  Also I am jnot sure if the 20x20 is the sealed amount or the bag size?
Fairy nuff!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

velosam

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:36:30 pm »
Actually the bag is 21x17 so will faff around tomorrow looking for the right size freezer bags lol

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:02:32 pm »
The second funniest wrong Family Fortunes answer ever was to "name a famous TV soap"

"Dove".

The funniest one is probably unrepeatable here, and may be an urban legend as it was "pulled from broadcast".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2024, 08:57:05 am »
Doesn't the fiver charge for ordering and collecting at the airport 1) pale into insignificance in cash terms compared to the cost of a transatlantic flight, let alone the hotel room you're not having to pay for, and 2) save you from having to mess around beforehand buying the stuff, packing it, and getting concerned about whether or not security will take it off you?

Simplest has to be pay it, then seethe silently ...

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2024, 10:47:54 am »
Our last trip through Stansted they objected to us using the slightly larger bags we'd acquired in Rome airport.  Couldn't fit my stuff in one of their pathetically small bags and had to abandon my shaving foam which was annoying

velosam

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2024, 12:03:28 pm »
Doesn't the fiver charge for ordering and collecting at the airport 1) pale into insignificance in cash terms compared to the cost of a transatlantic flight, let alone the hotel room you're not having to pay for, and 2) save you from having to mess around beforehand buying the stuff, packing it, and getting concerned about whether or not security will take it off you?

Simplest has to be pay it, then seethe silently ...

Yes to everything, I resent being held to ransom and feel it’s an additional tax. There are no charges to be delivered to any shop in UK why would an airport shop be different, subject to a minimum amount.  Anyway, I have 6 and it should be ok given the government advice. Fingers crossed!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2024, 12:29:32 pm »
Airport shops are strange beasts. Most are airside, so will require vetted staff, who need their passports to get to work. They are open 7 days a week for long hours.
It is simpler than it looks.