Author Topic: Bar tape wrap on bullbars  (Read 6357 times)

Bar tape wrap on bullbars
« on: 06 June, 2018, 03:37:03 pm »
I've almost finished rebuilding my fixie, but I'm stumped how I should wrap the bar tape.  I want to use my regular brake levers (I ordered some bar end type but the cables are routed through the bar and I don't want to drill them), but this makes wrapping the end of the bars complicated. This is what it looks like without tape, and I can't move the levers around or they hit the bars too quickly - is there any sensible way to wrap the tape or should I just buy some more bar end levers?
2018-06-06_03-33-31 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
Thanks
Duncan

Re: Bar tape wrap on bullbars
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2018, 03:46:07 pm »
Bar end levers are much nicer IMHO. There are versions that have external cable routing.

But surely wrapping is no different from wrapping the bars around normal brake levers. Just pull back the hoods to expose the bars and wrap away.

You might need to cover the straps/bands in the usual way, here's my go to page for bar tape wrangling:-

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/handlebar-tape-installation-drop-bars#article-section-3

This bit in particular:-

"
An additional technique is to use a small piece of bar tape to cover the bar at the lever strap. These extra pieces are sometimes included with the tape. The hood should be pulled forward to expose the lever body. When the tape is close to the body, place the end-piece over the back of the lever.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2018, 05:09:06 pm »
The problem with the wrapping was that there isn't really space to fit a full loop of tape above the lever on the exposed bar. However, I think I might just go for these and make life easy:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dia-compe-188-reverse-brake-levers/

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2018, 03:25:45 pm »
God damn it.  Those Wiggle brake levers are prefect except for 1 thing - they don't fit inside the end of my bars! :(
It was so much easier when I was just doing it ghetto style.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2018, 03:32:28 pm »
Buy a couple of flexible v-brake noodles, use them to get the bend in the cable tight to the bars, continue with conventional outer and whip it all on to the bars with pvc tape. Then tape the bars in the normal way starting at the levers.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2018, 04:08:22 pm »
I took this picture of the levers. It shows the lever, the expander tube and the wedge type apparatus.  The wedge and the expander tube don't fit in the bar at all - the lever bit itself only just fits with a little force. The cable will run alongside the bar, so it will help hold the lever in, but there won't be anything mechanical holding it in place as it is designed to be. Can I just stick some double sided tape around the lever bit and jam it into the bar, with the cable taped to the bars reducing the amount it can move (and then bar tape over that)? It seems a little dodgy, but there is no other way I can use this combination of bars and levers.
2018-06-17_03-33-42 by duncancmartin, on Flickr

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2018, 04:12:46 pm »
Re wrapping the bars, I take the levers off the bars leaving the brackets on the bars, then wrap, then put the levers back on.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2018, 04:54:37 pm »
No double-sided tape! The first time you pull on the brake, the lever will move.

The wedge should fit into the bar. Perhaps you've bought levers designed for thin-wall bars but have a thick-wall bar? Perhaps some sanding of the offending lever parts will solve the problem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2018, 06:14:19 pm »
I'll try the sanding trick. I don't think I can put the whole lot inside the bar though. :(

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2018, 06:15:06 pm »
New bars?

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2018, 07:30:55 pm »
New bars?
These are new bars (and the second set of new brake levers!). I'm limited in bar diameter by the quill stem.
The previous bars were cut and flipped drops - they were a bit short and the start of the hook provided a mounting point for the brake levers, but I've refurbished the bike, and I wanted nicer and slightly more stretched bars.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2018, 09:25:02 pm »
Just wrap the tape tightly over itself like this.  It doesn't move.

20180617_212119 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2018, 09:24:19 pm »
I solved the "not fitting inside the bars" problem.  :)
There was a little ridge inside one of the ends of the bar that was stopping the screw in plug/wedge from fitting in the hole - I filed inside the bar so the inside was smooth and then it fitted (without the sleeve bit - I think that's just a shim to go inside bigger bars). :)
Next question - are these levers right and left handed, and if so, which way around do they go? It's sort of a D shape - does the belly bit (where the cable goes) line up on the outside or inside?
2018-06-18_09-18-13 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
And this agrees with me about the sleeve: https://seewah.blogspot.com/2015/10/bar-end-brake-lever-and-best-bike.html :)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:23:09 pm »
I didn't find a definitive answer to this when I fitted a pair last year but plumped for the opposite of your installation (just nipped into the shed and checked), the rationale was that the cable will be starting on the inside of the bars and so it's a more natural path to be taped onto the inside of the bars which is where I thought it would best sit.  Can take a picture and post if it's any help.

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:33:45 pm »
Can't speak for the brake levers you have. I have some pure brake levers on my recent build. The levers are slightly outbound of the bars when fitted in their left and right positions. I guess the reasoning is that your fingers will be on the outside of the bar. So having the levers slightly outbound makes them easier to get your fingers on the.  Of course if your levers are symmetric that won't be a factor.

« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2018, 08:07:20 pm »
I went the same as Jon in the end and switched the bars around so that the cables could run inside the bars.
The end result was worth the effort :)
2018-06-22_09-04-52 by duncancmartin, on Flickr

« Reply #16 on: 24 June, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »
I'm loving the purple. :thumbsup:

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2018, 08:44:20 am »
Looks good  :thumbsup: