Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469562 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3200 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:20:06 pm »
I hope the neurology and physio appointments are both swift!

« Reply #3201 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:47:01 pm »
Well they've found nothing bad which is good news.  But they don't know what's wrong with you , which isn't  :( .

You are a postman.  How do you carry your mail ?  Do you do van deliveries or do you walk around with a honking great bag over one shoulder ?   If so could that be the cause of the problem ?   

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3202 on: 29 July, 2020, 01:52:18 pm »
Well they've found nothing bad which is good news.  But they don't know what's wrong with you , which isn't  :( .

You are a postman.  How do you carry your mail ?  Do you do van deliveries or do you walk around with a honking great bag over one shoulder ?   If so could that be the cause of the problem ?

Walk with a bag of mail on *left* shoulder, along with driving a van to do oversized parcels.  The bag of mail over one shoulder may explain the bulging discs though.

Hopefully the neurology appointment will be helpful.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3203 on: 30 July, 2020, 08:18:50 pm »
I have registered with MyCare at UCLH.

This gives me access to blood test results and clinic letters. (Well some letters I saw one from 2011 but rather few since.)

One test result, from blood drawn yesterday at 4pm was available at 9am today. I still await some more.

I rather like seeing my results promptly!

ETA The FBC was drawn at 15.56, resulted at 17.56 and posted at 9am next day.
U&E and LFT seem to have vanished, previously having results within a few hours. Am chasing. They were definitely taken.

BrianI

« Reply #3204 on: 01 August, 2020, 10:21:22 am »
I have registered with MyCare at UCLH.

This gives me access to blood test results and clinic letters. (Well some letters I saw one from 2011 but rather few since.)

One test result, from blood drawn yesterday at 4pm was available at 9am today. I still await some more.

I rather like seeing my results promptly!

ETA The FBC was drawn at 15.56, resulted at 17.56 and posted at 9am next day.
U&E and LFT seem to have vanished, previously having results within a few hours. Am chasing. They were definitely taken.

Sounds a useful facility, being able to view letters / results etc online!

Especially since the way the postal service is at the moment, with parcels getting prioritised over letters  ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3205 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:48:18 pm »
I like the facility. My records go back for over 10 years at UCLH but currently rather less than 10% of my blood results and letters seem to show. Seems great to have blood results from 4pm the previous day on the next morning (and they are SO similar to those of 7/8/2019) but I'm a tad concerned about the biochemistry; there's no urgency and at the worst I'll have to return for a repeat but WHERE IS IT?
I've emailed the team to see if they can find it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3206 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:17:06 pm »
They've now sent a letter & email informing me the results are 'in the system' and 'normal', which is fine
except the data freak in me would quite like the numbers
to which I don't seem to have access.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3207 on: 04 August, 2020, 09:18:28 am »
I got stung while out on my bike on Sunday. Didn't see the culprit, just felt a very sharp and painful sting in my arm. Suspect it may have been a wasp. I was on a nice long downhill stretch at the time so didn't stop to investigate.

By the time I got home, I had a large inflamed patch on my arm around the site of the sting (oval shaped, about 8cm long, though not with the sting at the centre, interestingly). Now, nearly 48 hours later, it is still red and swollen and very tender. 

I can't remember the last time I was stung by a wasp, but Dr Google tells me this is within the normal range of reactions, and that it might take a full week for the inflammation to go down. So I'm not worried about it, but it is bloody irritating! Have taken antihistamine and ibuprofen, though I don't expect them to make any difference.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3208 on: 04 August, 2020, 09:45:22 am »
IME, topical antihistamine cream helps quite a bit will localized reactions (wasp stings etc)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #3209 on: 04 August, 2020, 10:30:36 am »
IME, topical antihistamine cream helps quite a bit will localized reactions (wasp stings etc)

Good suggestion, thanks.

Was expecting it to have died down by today or I might have gone out and bought some kind of treatment for it yesterday. I probably ought to pop along to the pharmacy today - if only so I've got some in the house ready for next time.

« Reply #3210 on: 04 August, 2020, 11:11:13 am »
Show it to the pharmacist.  It sounds as if it could be a horse fly bite rather than a wasp's.  I had one (through my shorts!) and it was extremely painful.  They can turn pretty nasty, though fortunately mine didn't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3211 on: 04 August, 2020, 12:34:45 pm »
I had a horsefly bite a few years ago that caused my left hand to swell up and - after a day or two - go a funny colour.  Barakta, of the functional colour vision, was concerned about infection so made me see the world's least interested GP, who told me it was an antihistamine(sic) reaction and why was I bothering him.

I spent the next week zonked out on chlorphenamine and applying hydrocortisone at regular intervals, which sort of helped a little, but the hand wasn't up to much, as it was stiff to move and the sensation in my fingers was all wrong.

Vowed never to do Gardening again.

« Reply #3212 on: 04 August, 2020, 12:39:42 pm »
I had a horsefly bite a few years ago that caused my left hand to swell up and - after a day or two - go a funny colour.  Barakta, of the functional colour vision, was concerned about infection so made me see the world's least interested GP, who told me it was an antihistamine(sic) reaction and why was I bothering him.

How very crap.

When I went for an unrelated reason after a very thorough midging last summer (the kind that makes people stare, it was all over my face and neck), the practice nurse looked worried and made me promise to come back straight away if it got even a tiny bit worse, because cellulitis was a concern.

« Reply #3213 on: 04 August, 2020, 01:57:06 pm »
I had horsefly bombardment last week - I was fighting through brambles and nettles on a footpath between Wynyard and Hutton Henry and there were loads of the buggers. I have at least 6 bites keeping me itching.

citoyen

« Reply #3214 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:24:14 pm »
It sounds as if it could be a horse fly bite rather than a wasp's.

Quite possible, though I would expect a more virulent reaction.

I may just have got off lightly - due to my impressive descending speed meaning the bastard couldn’t get a decent purchase on my arm before being blown off.

I found some calamine lotion in the bathroom cabinet. Made sod all difference, but the inflammation seems to be going down now.

citoyen

« Reply #3215 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:24:58 pm »
Kim: ouch!

Fboab: ouch!

I’ve definitely got off lightly.

BrianI

« Reply #3216 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:48:51 am »
Off to see the Wizard of Oz the orthopaedic consultant today, with regards the bulging C5/C6 discs in my neck.   ??? :facepalm: ::-) :-\

« Reply #3217 on: 05 August, 2020, 10:07:10 am »
Good luck, Brian.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3218 on: 05 August, 2020, 10:23:24 am »
+1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3219 on: 05 August, 2020, 10:37:02 am »
Good luck, Brian.

And sympathies to the horsefly-bitten.  There's a tiny village about 25k from here called Bremendell, where the "breme" bit means horsefly. They don't stay there, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

« Reply #3220 on: 05 August, 2020, 03:37:14 pm »
Buck now been passed, and I'm getting referred to neurosurgery at Western General Hospital, Edinburgh ??? :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3221 on: 05 August, 2020, 04:05:48 pm »
This seems like a good call.
Hope they can fix you!

citoyen

« Reply #3222 on: 05 August, 2020, 05:21:04 pm »
Buck now been passed, and I'm getting referred to neurosurgery at Western General Hospital, Edinburgh ??? :facepalm:

Fingers crossed they'll be able to get to the root of the problem.

BrianI

« Reply #3223 on: 05 August, 2020, 06:50:26 pm »

Fingers crossed they'll be able to get to the root of the problem.

Hopefully, although getting to the Western General in Edinburgh is a bit more bothersome. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3224 on: 08 August, 2020, 07:37:55 am »
Good luck.  My memories of the WG are of a splitting headache, a vast echoing ward, and an ancient in the opposite bed who had to have everything done for him. Yetch.  Michael Gambon would've fitted right in.  I hope your memories will be more pleasant.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, I have a wonderful dose of whiplash, most likely sustained from a vicious bump I hit yesterday.  It set in a couple of hours after I got home, which apparently is in the nature of the beast.  Gets me when I move my upper body without thinking it through in advance.  Not as bad now as it was last night, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight