Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 948569 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8400 on: 28 April, 2019, 08:13:49 pm »
We don't have a thread for films we *haven't* watched, but I'm going to nominate this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808304/

If my theory's correct, then the fun is in reading the title, and I can confidently report that doing so was extremely entertaining.  It's a fantastic blend of 80s cheese, gratuitous violence and tectonic implausibility.  There's no way the film itself can possibly deliver, so don't bother.  Unless you're ian and feel like writing a screenplay.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8401 on: 28 April, 2019, 11:03:50 pm »
The Incredible Hulk

On so many levels, it is this:
(click to show/hide)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #8402 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:03:26 am »
Which Hulk though? The MCU one was probably the most meh of the series I've watched so far. We're up to Black Panther, so I think we've got three left to squeeze in before next Sunday. I confess, I'm pretty impressed, even the Hulk one isn't per se bad.

I think the top one so far has been Thor: Ragnarok which was even better the second time around. Sharp, funny script, perfect pace, and an absolutely luscious production design.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8403 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:44:19 am »
I've tried to watch TIH a couple of times. I obviously lack fortitude.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8404 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:49:49 am »
That's the Edward Norton one I think.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #8405 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:07:59 pm »
Unusually, I watch two this weekend, both Tom Cruise vehicles.

First up was Edge of Tomorrow. Hmm. We'd already had Groundhog Day, Source Code and Looper by the time this was made. Oh, and apparently it's also known a "Live, Die, Repeat". It's about as exciting as that title suggests. Really, don't bother.

Second was Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol.  Harmless fun, with Simon Pegg playing it for laughs.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #8406 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:13:06 pm »
I quite enjoyed the Edge of Tomorrow, but then it's possible I'd enjoy watching Emily Blunt doing macramé. The latter has to be better than Sicario.

No idea why the title changed though, more so as Live. Die. Repeat is quite obviously a shit title.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8407 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:26:10 pm »
I enjoyed Sicario. So there.

Such a shame we won’t get soundscapes like that again.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #8408 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:39:50 pm »
It wasn't an awful movie, but I think Emily was as confused as I was about why she was there.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8409 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:50:21 pm »
She avoided the second one, I guess.
It is simpler than it looks.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8410 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:09:55 pm »
That's the Edward Norton one I think.

Correct.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #8411 on: 07 May, 2019, 09:56:32 am »
Endgame. They really did pull out all the stops. Utterly awesome.

ian

« Reply #8412 on: 07 May, 2019, 06:30:29 pm »
Oh, and prior to Endgame, Stars Wars whatever trailer plays – they woman next to me to her partner 'why won't they just stop...'

Indeed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8413 on: 08 May, 2019, 08:25:32 am »
On the strength of all the noise about Endgame I looked for an Avengers film on Netflux and came up with Age of Ultron.  Was hoping for something at least as droll as Guardians of the Galaxy but dear lord, what a load of bullshit. Packed it in after an hour.

Similarly, the missus had had us watching Our Planet for the preceding couple of evenings. Nothing against Sir Boaty McBoatface but fucking hell he did it all 25 years ago with Blue Planet: Oh look, anchovies! Oh look, predators! Oh goody, the anchovies are getting it up the ass! six times in four episodes except when it was herring or mackerel. And the stuff about extinction is simply preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned, I don't need to hear it so often.  It felt like compulsory church, with the difference that I didn't dare go to sleep in church. Told her she's on her own for the rest: it felt like telling my folks that I'd get confirmed if they liked but really it was all a load of claptrap.

« Reply #8414 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:40:45 am »
More like last film I tried to watch. Francis Coppola's 1982 "One From the Heart", prompted by a review of something else (I forget what) that praised it as an overlooked masterpiece. I know it wasn't remotely thought to be one at the time, although some people did love it, and it bankrupted Coppola, pretty much. Still, I did give it a fair old go. Clunkily unwatchable. :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8415 on: 08 May, 2019, 02:55:26 pm »
On the strength of all the noise about Endgame I looked for an Avengers film on Netflux and came up with Age of Ultron.  Was hoping for something at least as droll as Guardians of the Galaxy but dear lord, what a load of bullshit. Packed it in after an hour.

Rookie mistake.  The film you're looking for is Thor: Ragnarok

ian

« Reply #8416 on: 08 May, 2019, 04:09:33 pm »
I enjoyed Ultron, it's not the best, but a fair outing for the franchise. Admittedly, not on par with Ragnarok which is one of the best. If you like Ragnarok, of course, you're in for a treat with Endgame.

It really will be against the law for Thor not to be in the next GotG.

I think I might go and see Endgame again, because awesome. Well worth the Imax.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8417 on: 08 May, 2019, 04:57:30 pm »

Rookie mistake.  The film you're looking for is Thor: Ragnarok

Could be, but Netflux don't stretch to it.  Problem with Ultron is maybe that the Thanos coefficient is too low. Josh Brolin's chin enhancement with modelling clay really makes a film.

caerau

« Reply #8418 on: 08 May, 2019, 04:59:53 pm »
We watched Ultron the other day too, because it happened to be there on Netflix.  What I'd never noticed before was all the massive hints about infinity stones and stuff (thought why would we, not knowing where it was going?) - but they really were laying it on thick in some places - quite impressed at how the major story arcs were all worked out years and years in advance.
Has any of this been in the comics canon?  I stopped reading the comics in the early 80s...(but was always a Marvel nerd ;) )

« Reply #8419 on: 08 May, 2019, 06:03:53 pm »
It's all very different in the comics, for a start it was nearly 30 years ago, and the snap happens right at the start of the story. So a load of heroes go missing right at the start. Thanos is also killing half the universe to impress his girlfriend, who happens to be Death, rather than as an act of population control

caerau

« Reply #8420 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:39:51 pm »
Cool - so based on stuff in the comics but changed to suit both new and old audiences, you can't fault their cunning plan to attract as large an audience as possible whilst keeping the diehards sweet.

ian

« Reply #8421 on: 08 May, 2019, 10:29:38 pm »
It was definitely worth watching the entire series beforehand (we await our über-nerd medals in the post), it really does come together very well. I'm not familiar with the comics (what, seriously, you're revoking über-nerd medals?) but I liked Thanos's Malthusiastic overkill, a thin veneer of rationality applied over genocidal psychosis. Anyway, I don't think I've seen a movie get a standing ovation at the end before. And yes, everyone cheered at that appropriate moment. I think we all have an inner nerd.

If I recall Rocket refers to Thanos's chin as a 'nutsack' several times.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8422 on: 09 May, 2019, 08:46:03 am »
MIB cross-fertilization?

https://youtu.be/2NPw3WvpRL8

caerau

« Reply #8423 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:43:00 am »
Only connect  :-D   New MiB film of course reunites Valkyrie and Thor - not that any of them are getting typecast or anything.  Zoe Saldana in particular must be crying all the way to the bank.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8424 on: 10 May, 2019, 12:46:50 am »
Apollo 11 (2019)

A thing of beauty and a joy forever.