Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 925947 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8450 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:49:41 am »
We saw The Highwaymen yesterday which is the Bonnie and Clyde tale but from the Texas Rangers' who hunted them POV.

Thought provoking and very very good.

I was slightly disappointed that they didn't do the scene with Bonnie taking a photo of herself with Frank Hames - a la the classic 1968 film with Warren Beatty/Faye Dunnaway.  Turns out this never happened and Hamer's widow actually got money (out of court settlement) from Warner Bros at the time for the way he was portrayed in that film - a defamation suit.  Interesting.

Best thing I've seen Costner and Harrelson do for a loooong time.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8451 on: 27 May, 2019, 12:23:56 am »
The Hitman’s Bodyguard. A bit of fun with Samuel L Jackson swearing a bit, and some bodies.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8452 on: 27 May, 2019, 05:47:56 am »
I saw Black Klansman a few days ago.

caerau

« Reply #8453 on: 27 May, 2019, 05:42:43 pm »
Now I know I shouldn't watch this sort of thing because it does my head in - science-wise (I am an academic biological chemist) - Jurassic World XI the most recent one...

FFS - flammable Helium  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Aside from cringeworthy science of utmost cringeworthiness.... it was exactly the same as the last time I watched a Jurassic Park film....

No..... not again... I will not go and see the dinosaurs again...

... oh all right then....

T-rexes push some cars over and bite heads of some bad guys...

.... aaargggh, must run from disaster and some dinos....

... we have intelligent ones which are super dangerous...

.... finale involving the super-daggerous raptosauruses.... get out by skin-of teeth - bad guys die.

Apart from that, I suppose it was escapist fun-enough

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8454 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:09:10 pm »

I wonder what happens when you mix that with the flammable lithium hydroxide from The Descent?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8455 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:12:12 pm »

I wonder what happens when you mix that with the flammable lithium hydroxide from The Descent?

Lots of makeup.
It is simpler than it looks.

caerau

« Reply #8456 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:22:11 pm »

Hmm - I love The Descent - now I cannot unread that- have never noticed that one

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8457 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:42:55 pm »

Hmm - I love The Descent - now I cannot unread that- have never noticed that one

Actually I might be thinking of the wrong scary-monsters-inna-cave movie...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8458 on: 29 May, 2019, 08:11:45 am »
Ma Loute (Slack Bay in English), a surreal seaside comedy worthy of Boris Vian but happier.  Loved it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

« Reply #8459 on: 29 May, 2019, 09:29:01 am »

Actually I might be thinking of the wrong scary-monsters-inna-cave movie...

There were two that came out at the same time with similar cave-diving scenarios - I suspect you may be as one was great (The Descent) - the other was dire - and I cannot think where they even put any science fiction - other than it being another breed of human in The Descent.  It was really just a pot-holing scary monster deth horror.  The other featured fancy vehicles going down into the depths so is more likely on that front.  At least Lithium Hydroxide has some sort of reactivity - Helium - well it would be good for putting a fire OUT if used suitably, if anyone can think of anything LESS flammable please let me know.

ian

« Reply #8460 on: 29 May, 2019, 09:56:50 am »
Any noble gas*, I'd imagine, or fire suppressants, such as halon. Basically, remove oxygen.

*apart from oganesson which apparently might not be a gas and might be a little bit reactive owing to the fact it has so many electrons they're left standing around like students outside a cancelled lecture, though I think they've only ever made a dozen or so atoms of the stuff, certainly not enough to spread on toast.

caerau

« Reply #8461 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:05:32 am »
You're out of date there, since we started recording lectures so they can view them online - pfft- you think there would be many there if they attended?  ::-) 
(In a generation or two the message we send out about there being a correlation between attending teaching-sessions and.... well 'passing'... may get through to them)

Noble gasses get less 'noble' as you go down the group - Krypton and Xenon actually do have some chemistry but Helium.... really hardly anything - you can excite it and make excimer lasers I suppose.  Pretty sure if you can assemble more than a dozen atoms of anything as heavy as Oganesson you're doing well - and we're never really likely to - the usefulness of anything with a microsecond-style half-life is always going to be a limiting factor ;)

Anyway back to the fillums.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8462 on: 29 May, 2019, 11:56:01 am »
Oganesson?  Isn't that a region of BRITISH Columbia?

["No." - Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8463 on: 31 May, 2019, 08:06:03 am »
Oganesson?  Isn't that a region of BRITISH Columbia?

["No." - Ed.]

That would be Okanagan

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8464 on: 31 May, 2019, 11:57:41 am »
Indeed.  I spent a night in Penticton on last summer's Leftpondian anabasis.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #8465 on: 05 June, 2019, 11:01:00 pm »
Please Stand By. A film about a young woman who is a) autistic and b) a Trekkie. She has written a script for a Star Trek competition and the film revolves around her quest to get it to the studio on time.

No guns, no ninjas, no nudity, no bling, no petrol heads. Just a very nice film.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8466 on: 05 June, 2019, 11:39:08 pm »
Captain Marvel

I'm from the 90s, so 90s nostalgia doesn't really do it for me, but I enjoyed this one.  Bonus points for the cat.   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #8467 on: 06 June, 2019, 11:00:49 am »
It's not a cat though.

Reminded me of our own Little Monster Cat.

« Reply #8468 on: 08 June, 2019, 05:51:58 am »
Prospect
Never heard of it until my physio recommended it today and I promptly watched it tonight. Neat little sci-fi movie.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prospect_2018
Costume design is awesome.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8469 on: 08 June, 2019, 08:21:52 am »
"Booksmart" at the cinema. Very funny and quite touching American high school drama.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

ian

« Reply #8470 on: 10 June, 2019, 09:56:53 am »
X-Men something or other. It wasn't bad, all the boxes were ticked, but it wasn't really anything else. The scripts for these write themselves. Plus I can never figure out the timelines, but I'm sure they've gotten themselves into a narrative pickle. Or possibly I'm simply not nerd enough. And how does Magneto fly, eh?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8471 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:29:12 pm »
And how does Magneto fly, eh?

Like a frog in an MRI scanner?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/A1vyB-O5i6E&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/A1vyB-O5i6E&rel=1</a>

ian

« Reply #8472 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:39:25 pm »
And how does Magneto fly, eh?

Like a frog in an MRI scanner?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/A1vyB-O5i6E&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/A1vyB-O5i6E&rel=1</a>

Yes, but where the hell is the giant MRI machine? Does he take it everywhere? Where does he plug it in? I mean, the Americas use weak electricity, surely that tempers his abilities when he's stateside?

Jessica Chastain was quite scary though. If she was your mum, you'd have a very tidy bedroom and homework would never remain undone.

I think the X-Universe always suffers these days because most of the superheroes are a bit meh. Prof X and Magneto were great, as were Wolverine and Raven. Chap with lasers for eyes? Occasionally hairy bloke? Weatherwoman? I can't even remember their names.

caerau

« Reply #8473 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:40:15 pm »
https://www.quora.com/How-does-Magneto-fly

The question is easy : Magneto flies because he is able to influence on the gravity, he can bend the magnetic waves on earth since he is the master of Magnetism to create an anti-gravity area generally contained into a forcefield, visible or not.

And I don’t think in space there is a lot of metal yet in Fatal attractions he does flies in space so your theory on metal under is incorrect. Magneto can generate and manipulate magnetic, anti-gravity area and forcefield… 3 conditions allowing him to actually do this in comics.

More questions on Magneto? don’t hesitate to ask. It’s been 25 years I study him in comics

ian

« Reply #8474 on: 10 June, 2019, 12:45:11 pm »
So basically he's unified gravity with the three other forces? That said, Mary Poppins did it long before he did.