Author Topic: Any tandems for sale  (Read 6341 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Any tandems for sale
« on: 02 August, 2023, 02:28:26 pm »
The 'Mrs' doesn't ride a bike, but is now quite interested if someones does all the 'stuff'.  I'm 6'2", shes 5'5".  looking for a cheap introduction, but not a BSO.  Not sure whether  to go 26" for comfort or 700c.  I've never ridden a tandam , and she's hardly ever ridden a bike (closes eyes).   Anything out there?   Seen a few on t'bay, ....a Dawes duet, and a Dawes  Horizon twin (handbuilt).
presumably a smaller frame can be adapted with a longer seatpost to a degree.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Any tandams for sale
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2023, 03:49:49 pm »
Anyone heard of Tsunami Tandams

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2023, 03:59:36 pm »
https://tandem-club.org.uk/

Lots of tandems come up for sale on there, many have been little used.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2023, 05:28:13 pm »
https://tandem-club.org.uk/

Lots of tandems come up for sale on there, many have been little used.

ok thanks, arr you a member of this site?

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2023, 09:54:44 pm »
I have a login but don't subscribe, as there don't seem to be local activities in west London. I get an email whenever anything is put on the sales list.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2023, 07:33:17 am »
Optima Duet?  ;D

Re: Any tandems for sale
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:17:59 am »
We have a Dawes Horizon Twin which we might sell.
Haven't ridden it for years.

This one:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33907.msg635085#msg635085

It's currently in Northumberland and needs some TLC- mostly because it hasn't been ridden for ages.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:33:32 am »
If you aren't averse to Facebook join the tandem club group. There are some lower cost (sub £500) tandems for sale there, and also links to higher priced ones advertised on the website.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:37:11 am »
Not sure whether you can open this as an example https://www.facebook.com/groups/tandemclubuk/permalink/2236264933237089/

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2023, 09:08:22 am »
I might have located one, a Thorn Discovery Twin ( I think) in L/s flavour. It’s got , apparantly, woodman hydraulic rim brakes. I googled until my fingers bled, but can find no such thing. I have however found that ‘Woodman’ is a name, and that they used to produce special adapters that allowed the fitment of Magura hydro rim brakes to std V brake bosses, (other way round actually?) Aptly, Thorn designed the brake boss to be higher than normal, so that the v brake pads are at the bottom of the slot in the arm, to allow for more mudguard clearance.
Also it seems one has to deflate the tyre to remove the wheel, as there is no quick release for the brakes. It has a rear disc and a rear hydro rim brake, and reading Thorns most excellent info sheets, the brake set up is C1 preferred option. Rhs is front rim brake, Lhs is rear disc, and thumb lever is rear rim, as using a disc as a drag brake is a big nono.  Interesting reading, the thought that seems to have gone into every aspect of Thorn bikes is astounding, never really thought about them before, but they are the Volvo of the cycling world me thinks.
Anyone any experience of Thorn tandems etc, does £250 sound about right, looks immaculate and not ridden much, they’ve gone solo, and kids have grown up. I’m 6’2” ,a nd my lovely is 5’5”, web says L/ S is ok for 5’9” -6’5” and 5’1” +.    Thing is, it’s 300 miles away, bit of a road trip comin on me thinks. Works out approx £80 in fuel, which is prob about the same as courier. . I’m quite taken with Thorns ethos, actually, I is.  Now if only they made a recumbent……..

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2023, 01:01:24 pm »
Oh ,  and its got a Schmidt dyno hub, but no lights.. :P

Discoverd you can get QR levers for the brakes (assuming they are Maguras.) :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #11 on: 05 August, 2023, 05:55:37 pm »
ok more googling.............the brakes are Magura HS66 , quite rare hydraulic rim brakes, that fit onto canti studs, but with drop bar levers.   More googling shows that a set of HS66 , are going for £200 + on Retrobike.  I think the 'woodman ' bit is the brake booster arch.  Folks want them for old retro MTB to drop bar gravel bike conversions.   Probably be going up there Monday or Wednesday to collect.

« Reply #12 on: 06 August, 2023, 10:43:06 pm »
We bought a Thorn Discovery a couple of years ago, a 2004 model made not long before they they went to Rohloff hub gears and welded frames. This Discovery model was launched in early 2002, or there abouts, so not a long production run. The frame is super strong, edge brazed butted Reynolds 725, slightly thicker gauges than used previoiusly or since and double marathon tube layout. It is very stiff and solid and a real load carrrier and on the heavy side for a high-quality tandem. They were by no means cheap and often have very good Reynolds 531 racks and Shimano XT components.
The drive system is odd as it has the synch chain on the right with small synch rings, the back one on the inside of a Shimano XT triple, sharing special bolts with the granny ring. Our first brush with this system was on a Thorn Adventure from the same period and it was not a happy experiment for us and we changed it to conventional cross over drive. Our next Adventure, which we got as we needed a coupled frame, also had the same side drive but it worked well at once. The main difference as far as I could see was that the later Adventure has 30t alloy synch rings rather than the steel 27t Shimano rings used on the earlier bike. By the time we got the Discovery I had bought the last two of the Talon (made for Thorn) rings from SJS stock and thought I would have some fun sorting out the synch chain in the same way. As expected when we went to get the bike (found on FB Market Place) the two chains were tangled up and stuck between the rings. The space inside the triple turned out to be a bit tighter than on the Adventure so I had to reduce the length of the spacers between the granny and synch rings by about 0.8mm in a lathe. This has worked out very well indeed although of course it means we are dependant on non-standard parts. It needs to be said that we have seen a couple of Thorns with the same side drive and the original smaller steel synch rings at Tandem Club rallies going along nicely. The sych ring running inside the granny works very well to prevent overshoot on the change to the granny ring - often a problem with triple chainsets on a tandem.
If the bike you are going for is like ours, same side drive inside the other rings, you should budget for new chains straight away and not let the synch chain run with more than recommended slack. If it gets slack, it readily falls onto the granny ring with interesting results often including damage to the chains.
Another thing to look out for. These bikes were often fitted with a nice stoker's suspension seat post by USE that is fitted into a shim with a slot in the back. If this slot and the seat tube slots are left aligned and not capped or grease filled, water can enter the seat tube in quantitiy. There is a drain but that only helps if it is used. Serious  water ingress should be obvious if you take out the seat post and take a look down. A bit of light surface rust inside is not a problem.
We took the Discovery on our trip to Brittany this year, the first time we have had a full camping load in France since 2007. Very slow indeed up the steeper hills but reliable handling and good comfort. The catalogues for the older Thorn bikes are linked from the Thorn forum.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:20:58 am »
Thank you for such a detailed answer  :). I pick up / view the big wee beastie next Sat. It’s a 5 hour journey each way. But I feel it could be a bargain, similar bikes I’ve seen have been £500 -£800. I’ve had a look at the photos again, bearing in mind your comments. I think it might be pre 2002, te earlier discovery, not the marathon version. Interestingly it looks to have thorns trademark forks, but with the brake mounts in front, rather than behind the blades. The sync rings are on the left of the bike fitted to Thorn branded crank arms, with the ‘business’ side on the right as you would expect. A non std ‘black’ seat post is fitted, so will check inside, but it looks very well cared for. Some tandems I’ve seen advertised for more than this, have obviously led hard lives, living outside, with rust the prevalent. Colour, and seat covered peeling off from the base, ( and I’m not talking about Jack Taylor’s , or anything fancy). As said ^^^, it’s got Maura HS66 drop bar hydraulic rim brakes, so someone has presumably spent some extra money on it either at time of order or after.   

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bikes/thorn-253506/ This should be a link to an identical bike, even same size, but his has brakes behind the fork blades.

« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:24:22 am »
It sounds like a bargin indeed especially with the upgraded brakes and SON. These frames are Reynolds 531 tubing, most with the single marathon tube layout like the one in the SJS link but double marathon was an option. One of the down sides of all of the Thorn drop bar tandems of this period was the use of Suntour SE brakes both ends. I found I could get them to work for one or two rides then they were off the sweet spot and more or less useless.
The former chairman of our local cycling club had a single marathon Thorn Discovery from new and only sold it a few years ago. It went to a couple who planned to do a European tour then pass it on again but in the end they arranged to ship it home to Australia so it had proved to be a solid success with its second owners. That bike has same side drive but with the synch chain ring outside of the other rings.
If the frame is good I would snap it up even if the rims are well worn as there are still just about ways to get 48h rims in 26". If you need to go down that path let me know and I will go into excruciating detail :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #15 on: 07 August, 2023, 02:31:15 pm »
hmm<it would appear from the photos , that the rims are 40 h  26",   Are these still available?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 07 August, 2023, 03:15:57 pm »
Any rims with more than 32 hole are becoming rare = more rare as the number of holes increases. There are only a few 40h rims still available regardless of size.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-26
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #17 on: 07 August, 2023, 04:53:52 pm »
maybe this bike is not such a good idea after all, good price et al, but if the rims are toast, that's going to start to get spendy, specially as 26" is history,  and limited options. I feel sorry for all those Thorn tandem owners. Hummmmm!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 07 August, 2023, 05:34:13 pm »
Anything to do with tandems/ trikes/ recumbents/ folding bikes will involve some stuff that won't be on the shelf of your local bike shop. If that really concerns you, stick with boring cookie-cutter bikes and boring cookie-cutter rides.

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/rims-5 regularly bring Velocity rims into the UK and in the past have taken orders for specific models and drillings. There is nothing stopping you from doing that, if there is a problem with excessive rim wear.

That tandem's price is a steal, even if you have to spend some time and effort to get it into perfect condition.

« Reply #19 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:44:52 pm »
Perhaps I shouldn't have planted seeds of doubt with my comment on rims. We have bought four Thorn tandems made between 1999 and 2004 and none have had significant rim wear when we got them the only problems were due to a traffic or air carriage accident (bent forks easily solved for £100 with new Thorn Raven forks) and on a different bike failure to drain the frame which I have not solved so far.
We do eat rims here in Cornwall with lots poor sight line descents and abrasive mud from hard rock below. The Sun Rhyno rims on our non-coupled Thorn Adventure were getting thin in 2017 (about 8,000km in our ownership) with the rear rim at 1.1mm thickness so I replaced it before a big tour.  Ryde Andra CSS as a replacement has been a great success, first with the special Swiss stop blocks then with Kool Stops. It shows no sign of any loss of thickness. I've just picked up a couple of NOS 36h Rhynos from ebay and am putting one on the front of that bike with a second hand SON. Good quality unused 26" rims come up quite often on ebay. I've had a good half dozen Velocity rims that way and now the Sun Rhynos by keeping a search going with email alerts.

I've also got Velocity 48 hole rims in hand to get a bit of extra width for the Discovery when using 50mm Marathon Mondial tyres. The excuse for getting that bike in 2020 was a planned trip to Iceland which still just might happen in 2024.

As far as tyres go, I got in a panic when Schwalbe dropped the Marathon Supreme from their catalogue and stocked up enough for another twenty years, so we should still have good free running tyres in our early 90s. There are plenty of other choices. Continental have put three 26" widths into their Contact Urban range so availabilty isn't contracting that much even if 26" won't be get marketing blather any more and you may have to search a bit for supplies at sensible prices.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 07 August, 2023, 08:48:49 pm »
maybe this bike is not such a good idea after all, good price et al, but if the rims are toast, that's going to start to get spendy, specially as 26" is history,  and limited options. I feel sorry for all those Thorn tandem owners. Hummmmm!

Thorn have spent such a long time selling quality tandems with 26" wheels that I'd be very surprised if they would stop stocking appropriate rims.

I requested the Rigida Andra Carbide rims on our tandem when we bought it, and I've been so impressed with them that I put some on my solo machine when I rebuilt the wheels at about 10,000 miles. They've done over 30,000 miles since I fitted them and I'd have to live to about 200 to wear them out, I think.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #21 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:04:30 pm »
36 hole don't seem to be a problem, its the 40 and 48 that are scarce.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:36:01 pm »
are tandem hubs the same width as normal hubs, ie 135mm for 26" or wider?

« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:50:08 pm »
It sounds like a bargin indeed especially with the upgraded brakes and SON. These frames are Reynolds 531 tubing, most with the single marathon tube layout like the one in the SJS link but double marathon was an option. One of the down sides of all of the Thorn drop bar tandems of this period was the use of Suntour SE brakes both ends. I found I could get them to work for one or two rides then they were off the sweet spot and more or less useless.
The former chairman of our local cycling club had a single marathon Thorn Discovery from new and only sold it a few years ago. It went to a couple who planned to do a European tour then pass it on again but in the end they arranged to ship it home to Australia so it had proved to be a solid success with its second owners. That bike has same side drive but with the synch chain ring outside of the other rings.
If the frame is good I would snap it up even if the rims are well worn as there are still just about ways to get 48h rims in 26". If you need to go down that path let me know and I will go into excruciating detail :)

Thorn may still have 48h 26" rims available. I bought one of their 48h 26" rear wheels for my daughter's child-carrier bike in february. Built in shop apparently. Sun Rhino rim IIRC that was a real swine to get a cheap Decathlon tyre on (solved with generous application of washing-up liquid).

ETA I have 36h on my tandem, never had a problem with my own wheels but the first ever ride loaded over 40 years ago was a real disaster with cheap factory wheels. But mine isn't intended for anything heavier than a grandchild or two now!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 07 August, 2023, 10:13:01 pm »
Tandem derailleur rear hubs may be 140mm, 145mm (probably most common) or 160mm, sometimes 130mm or 135mm.

Tandem wheels frequently came with 40 spokes for a sporty ride or 48 spokes for loaded touring. With stronger modern deep-section rims and more fatigue-resistant spokes, 36 spokes or fewer is commonplace now.