Author Topic: Docs and free gym membership?  (Read 1426 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Docs and free gym membership?
« on: 14 March, 2013, 09:23:05 pm »
If I speak to my GP, what are the chances of being able to get a gym membership refferal? I would like to give swimming to keep fit another go but can't afford to. And I was hoping that maybe there was some form of support via the GP for with chronic problems such as myself?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Docs and free gym membership?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:39:44 pm »
Well there's always the public swimming pool if you want to take up swimming.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:01:06 pm »
Still costs though and seriously, funds are that tight :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:14:41 pm »
I don't think much of your chances but sometimes physio departments run gym exercise sessions
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:22:03 pm »
I dunno about gym membership, but maybe you're entitled to some physiotherapy on the NHS.  How about booking an appointment with your GP without telling them in advance what it's for, then ask for what you want in the consultation?

I had some hydrotherapy (or some sort of physio in a swimming pool) prescribed for me by the hospital when recovering from a broken hip.  (I bottled out of it, stupidly).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2013, 07:31:18 am »
There are some schemes where GPs are prescribing gym memberships and other forms of exercise but I don't know where or how to access them. I suppose the best way to find out is to see your GP and be very clear about how exercise makes you feel better and stay healthier.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2013, 09:25:39 am »
After my accident in which damaged my spine, I got a referral to my local gym, it was only for six months, but I renewed it, later I became a full member.

« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2013, 10:34:04 pm »
I used to work on a GP referral scheme. I used to get referrals for people with aching backs to cardiac rehab and mental health problems. Check out the facilities in your area and make an appointment. I wold think that you will still be charged by the leisure center but this will probably be at a reduced cost.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »
For the record I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis. I shall get onto my GP.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2013, 11:17:22 am »
Yes, dealt with a number of people in the past with this condition. You need a personally tailored exercise not a generic programme. Make sure that your lacal GP referral scheme has people there that can tailor programmes around specific conditions.

« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2013, 02:19:51 pm »
There are some schemes where GPs are prescribing gym memberships and other forms of exercise but I don't know where or how to access them.

Stowmarket. Diss. You have to live there though, and that would remove any positive feelings you'd get from exercise.