Author Topic: "Maybe you'll stay in the cycle lane next time"  (Read 11899 times)

microphonie

• Tyke 2
Re: "Maybe you'll stay in the cycle lane next time"
« Reply #75 on: 06 August, 2008, 06:52:57 pm »
The 4x4 driver pulled along side me, his passenger had wound down the window and he shouts "When will you learn to use the cycle path?"
I reply - clearly and loudly "When will you learn not to be so fucking ignorant?" ( I thought he would understand it better if I used profanity ).
He suggests I pull over.
I do.
Before he even has a chance to do or say anything I identify myself and then let rip into road rules and cycle paths and drivers failing to understand cyclist's needs and that many of the cyclists he may see on a daily basis are more than likely cops from HQ.

Sometimes attack is the best form of defence.

I then pause and ask if he would like to add anything?

He meekly says "I didn't know that".

Der !!

Yeah... but you didn't nick the bugger, did you?  Traitor!

What's the use of having power if you don't abuse it - in the greater good, of course... ;D

I can't arrest him for being a twit.  If we could, half the country would be arrested.

Surrender monkey!
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #76 on: 06 August, 2008, 08:45:59 pm »
If only you knew just how much paper work is involved in today's crime and injustice arena, you wouldn't be asking these questions.
What I did was mess with his mind in a way, I also vented and in a way educated him somewhat.  Best of all I incurred no paper work.
What he did would never get to court or even a prosecution.  His word against mine.
Simple.
Knowing this in advance sort of hardens one's approach to things.

« Reply #77 on: 06 August, 2008, 08:48:23 pm »
So now you know.  They think you should stop your bike in order to give way.

Where there's a cycle lane, I agree that it creates the lane-change problem and is generally counter-productive for that reason.

However, where there isn't, I suspect that motorists remember their Cycling Proficiency training. This will have taught them to give way, because for an inexperienced child it's the only thing you can do; you have to help them cope with motorists who can't be trusted to obey the principle that the vehicle in front has priority. Inevitably, however, many former CP trainees will have grown up into motorists with the belief that they gave way because it was the law, and that they can now expect other cyclists to do the same for them.

I don't think child cycle training should change, but a holistic approach would mean that driver training would point out the reasons for the earlier teaching.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #78 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:03:45 am »
So now you know.  They think you should stop your bike in order to give way.

Where there's a cycle lane, I agree that it creates the lane-change problem and is generally counter-productive for that reason.

However, where there isn't, I suspect that motorists remember their Cycling Proficiency training. This will have taught them to give way, because for an inexperienced child it's the only thing you can do; you have to help them cope with motorists who can't be trusted to obey the principle that the vehicle in front has priority. Inevitably, however, many former CP trainees will have grown up into motorists with the belief that they gave way because it was the law, and that they can now expect other cyclists to do the same for them.

I don't think child cycle training should change, but a holistic approach would mean that driver training would point out the reasons for the earlier teaching.

I am a little more jaded, and feel that it is simply the motons can't handle being held up by anyone for a second. Look how they treat other cars, pushing in and cutting people out, they do exactly the same to cyclists, except we don't have a lovely metal cage around us.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #79 on: 07 August, 2008, 10:27:13 am »
I'd love to know what these drivers who think we shouldn't pull out for parked cars would suggest instead... Wait by the kerb until the parked vehicle has moved, perhaps? Or just ride over it?

Now, there's a thought.....  :demon:

You really want to know what they think?

Ages ago, I came up to a set of cars neatly parked in the cycle lane, checked behind, signalled and moved out.  Joe Tosser, who had come up behind far too fast and was forced to reduce his speed to a mere 45mph, took exception to this, slowed down to my speed and howled out the window at me "You're supposed to GIVE WAY!"  I couldn't think of a suitable response so I ignored him.

So now you know.  They think you should stop your bike in order to give way.  Preferably wait until you have an entirely clear road.  ::-)

Ignoring the 45mph blah blah blah, the drivers are actually correct.  In order to pass the obstruction the cyclist has to change lanes, from cycle lane to carriageway, and so yes they do have to give way.  It is the same as when driving on the motorway you can't just change out a lane but are supposed to judge the traffic speed so that you can merge out into a space without impacting on the existing lane users.

This is, yet another, reason why cycle lanes are a bad thing. 

If the cycle lane did not exist then the cyclist can move out around the obstruction without changing lanes.

Broadly yes, but I should have added that in my instance I was already in the same lane as the motorist, because the cycle lane was blocked by cars.  I just had to move out a bit to take the lane, but I didn't have to change into it.