Author Topic: Getting my new Pino  (Read 2095 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Getting my new Pino
« on: 16 April, 2023, 08:24:01 pm »
Today was the day to collect my new (to me) Pino.  It was in Wareham, I'm just outside Horsham. For various reasons I elected to go by train, return fare with a Network card is £20.90. The owner expressed his doubts about the wisdom of taking a Pino by train but I've done it many times. The leg from Wareham to Havant is by South Western Rail which is new territory to me. I measured the bike space on the way down, using my calibrated size 11s and was pleased to find out the Pino could just about shrink to fit.

Waiting at Wareham

Safely tucked in on a Class 444 Desiro.

South Western Rail's website says
A Class 444 Desiro can carry 6 cycles. They can't carry tandem bicycles or trailers.
Challenge accepted.

All was going smoothly until the train got to Southampton, where it was held as someone, sadly, had been hit by a train farther along the line and the third rail power was off. There was talk of not moving until 1800 and it was not yet three. In the end I decided to leap on a Cross Country diesel heading towards Guildford, getting encouraged by the train supervisor to run to find the bike space. Not sure what class this was, except it had dangly bike spaces, two either side of the corridor by in coach 2. No way does a Pino dangle, so I rammed it in upright and took my seat.

On the way to Guildford.

We got caught in some congestion, so I missed my connection. The next was a 3 coach GWR class 165 diesel turbo with no bike spaces, so the Mk1 winning smile combined with standing in the vestibule came into use.

Heading to Redhill

Last train of the day was from Redhill back down to Horsham. At last a train I was familiar with, Class 377, nice space by the disabled loo. Except there was a bike and a huge suitcase already there, so more smiling and standing. 

The Last Leg

Finally got home almost six hours after I set off. Here's some more pics of the bike

Comfy seat, with harness. For when the going gets tough

Bouncy fork and hydraulic disc. More new stuffs to learn about

The whole thing

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Getting my new Pino
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2023, 08:43:12 pm »
In the end I decided to leap on a Cross Country diesel heading towards Guildford, getting encouraged by the train supervisor to run to find the bike space. Not sure what class this was, except it had dangly bike spaces, two either side of the corridor by in coach 2. No way does a Pino dangle, so I rammed it in upright and took my seat.

Class 220 Voyager.  I've spent enough time freezing my arse off in the Coach D vestibule that I recognise that view instantly.

Ram-it-in-and-hope is the traditional approach taken by baffled FOERIGN students when they try to get on at Oxford with a Sensible City Bike.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2023, 09:16:44 pm »
Dare I ask what happened to the previous Tim Hall-owned Pino Hase?

Edit: I just read another thread which seems to explain.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2023, 10:25:42 pm »
Looks terrific Tim.

In fact it’s exactly like ours except you have a different tensioning mechanism for the timing chain. That’s probably a good thing as the one we have is utterly useless.   

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2023, 08:02:35 am »
Very nice.
Welcome to the 21st century.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2023, 08:08:52 am »
Congrats, Tim. Health to ride it.  Right bloody Odyssey to get it home, though.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2023, 08:31:30 am »
Looks terrific Tim.

In fact it’s exactly like ours except you have a different tensioning mechanism for the timing chain. That’s probably a good thing as the one we have is utterly useless.

Yes, I remember you describing the trails and tribulations you had.  I haven't fathomed my one out yet. It looks like a new kind of magic.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2023, 04:25:20 pm »
Nice!  It's so red we'll have trouble keeping up with you now!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2023, 08:33:18 pm »
Lovely bike!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein