Author Topic: Why so little interest?  (Read 6051 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Why so little interest?
« Reply #25 on: 02 November, 2009, 03:28:43 pm »
I saw it.  I would have seen it in Manchester, but events intervened so I had to sjettle for yesterday afternoon on the telly.  Excellent performances all round, especially in the pursuit  :thumbsup:

BTW, good shout Tewdric, it's all about Lizzie A.

Si

« Reply #26 on: 02 November, 2009, 03:40:38 pm »
I saw a bit of it.
But to be honest, I can take or leave cycle racing these days.
Partly because of all the disappointments caused by numerous drug scandals, and partly because, well, it can be a bit boring*, not to mention disconnected to real-world cycling**.

Likewise, when I used to be a petrol-head I found F1 boring too; whereas I love watching Rugby Union and cricket, but I don't participate in those activities.  As someone said up thread - just because you like doing something doesn't make it wonderful to watch others doing similar.

*well, long flat road race stages can be more so, the track has the advantage of mostly short races.  even so, some are a bit monotonous when you've no interest in who wins
** not that I don't have the greatest respect for the racers' abilities and achievements.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #27 on: 02 November, 2009, 04:32:15 pm »
Would have loved to have watched,  but was on IoW this weekend and don't have SKY or a red button.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 02 November, 2009, 04:48:08 pm »
I watched it and I thought it was bloody fantastic.

Finally, through decent funding, excellent coaching, the best R&D, a proper HQ that enables our cyclist to race each other every day and lots of dedication, we are world leaders (by a country mile) in a sport.

Our "B Team" manages to get the 2nd fastest time in history and young riders are posting world records or close to it.

The only team that managed to compete with Team GB were Team Sky (and they comprise 100% Team GB cyclists on their day off).

Every other British sport should beg to attend the coaching sessions to see how it's done.

I think it's great that Cycling got good BBC coverage.   If only they'd get the Tour de France as well, I wouldn't have to listen to that feck awful accordian music every 5 minutes.

« Reply #29 on: 02 November, 2009, 04:51:41 pm »

Finally, through decent funding, excellent coaching, the best R&D, a proper HQ that enables our cyclist to race each other every day and lots of dedication, we are world leaders (by a country mile) in a sport.

I hope, once the London velodrome is open that we continue to get World Class events at the National Cycling Centre.

« Reply #30 on: 02 November, 2009, 05:01:36 pm »
BTW, good shout Tewdric, it's all about Lizzie A.

We can start a thread for Lizzie when she starts posing in her knickers  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #31 on: 02 November, 2009, 06:02:05 pm »
I love it when women's sporting achievements are shown the respect they deserve.

:facepalm:

I do realise that Bobb seldom has an emotion that stirs from above his waist.

« Reply #32 on: 02 November, 2009, 06:10:06 pm »
Watched it. Loved it. Lovely display of power and leg speed! Good racing too, if a bit one sided in the absence of a few big names. (FFS "stopping at the pub"!? What next?  ::-))

+ 1

The women were awesome, loved that ginger-nut in the men's pursuit and great that we can stop talking about Wiggins now that Geraint T is the new superstar - wonder what odds you'd get on him for the TdF prologue?
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #33 on: 02 November, 2009, 06:54:29 pm »
I do realise that Bobb seldom has an emotion that stirs from above his waist.

That's not very nice. Or true  :(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #34 on: 03 November, 2009, 03:59:55 pm »
This could be the thing I found on the iPlayer, 2hours 45minutes or so of track cycling. Link here should you fancy an evening's entertainement.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #35 on: 04 November, 2009, 01:06:26 pm »

I hope, once the London velodrome is open that we continue to get World Class events at the National Cycling Centre.

It deserves to remain at the hub of uk track cycling IMHO, I somehow doubt that it will

« Reply #36 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:13:47 pm »
Seems they have been reading this forum and felt they needed to allay my fears

BBC SPORT | Other sport... | Cycling | GB cyclists to stay in Manchester

« Reply #37 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:23:06 pm »

That's great news.  I am heading down to Manchester in January to watch a Revolution event and this would not be happening if it moved southwards....there is a mini bus (club and family) going so it'll be a great weekend!

« Reply #38 on: 14 November, 2009, 11:40:36 pm »

That's great news.  I am heading down to Manchester in January to watch a Revolution event and this would not be happening if it moved southwards....there is a mini bus (club and e ) going so it'll be a great weekend!
It is good they want to stay
I wanted to ride the Nippy Sweety today but with son No.2 moving to Stockport I had to be here. So we've just got back from watching the Revolution event.Adequate compensation? It most certainly was!!You'll have a great time,Noodley. Constant action for 3hours.
If your going for the weekend it might be worthwhile looking at the taster sessions on the track. go to the velodrome Website
From the Hillfoots to the hilltops

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #39 on: 15 November, 2009, 09:05:02 am »
Mrs. TKP and myself are going to Revolution in December. We were already looking forward to it but I am now even more excited.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #40 on: 15 November, 2009, 10:26:43 am »
Revolutions are more entertaining that proper track meets. Fewer heats, fewer boring presentations. The racing sometimes isn't that exciting though since nothing is at stake, and I am not convinced it isn't pre-agreed.

« Reply #41 on: 21 November, 2009, 09:39:47 am »
Even less interest for the Melbourne round.

rdaviesb

« Reply #42 on: 28 November, 2009, 10:06:30 pm »
Mrs. TKP and myself are going to Revolution in December. We were already looking forward to it but I am now even more excited.  :thumbsup:

So are we. See you there! We'll be stood on the North banking, just in front of the Beryl Burton display, beer in hand.  O:-)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #43 on: 29 November, 2009, 08:57:52 am »

So are we. See you there! We'll be stood on the North banking, just in front of the Beryl Burton display, beer in hand.  O:-)

What a coincidence. Just last night Gill had a text from a couple of friends to say they had tickets and would like to share transport. Should be fun.