Author Topic: Portland design works mudguards more clearence than Longboard?  (Read 826 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
I have a Condor Frettello with SKS Longboard guards. I cannot use 28MM tyres as they just rub under the brakes. Will the expensive Portland Design Works guards allow me to use 28mm tyres?

Thoughts please?

BB

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Ben T

Re: Portland design works mudguards more clearence than Longboard?
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2019, 06:17:51 pm »
Steve I can confirm they definitely do fit 28mm tyres.... I have got some but I have just taken them off 'cos I think they rattle. Not on perfectly smooth road, but on any surface imperfection of more than about half an inch they rattle.

I think they I fitted them completely correctly and everything was tightened up but I think it's just the nature of the stays, I think it's the bit where the outer bit of the stay is held onto the inner bit using a grub screw that is rattling. I did replace one of the grub screws with a similar (but slightly shorter) one because I rounded the original one but that isn't an issue, that's on the front one and it's the rear that rattles.

I am going to fit some Tortec reflector guards instead, see how they go on. They have got 'normal' stays but are a bit thicker than Chromoplastics so should be able to hold a light without cracking.

You can have my PDW ones for half RRP if you like, I have got a box that they will fit in to post them. If I haven't put you off  :)

Edit: ah - sorry, I cannot attest to how well they will fit under calliper brakes as I have got discs. They do come with some metal mounting plates which look like they're designed for the purpose of going over the caliper though.

I'm quite happy to send you them to try if you want for just the cost of postage - if they don't fit or the rattle annoys you then you could ebay them and pass on what you get minus a cut?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: Portland design works mudguards more clearence than Longboard?
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2019, 08:52:40 pm »
Thanks fot the offer Ben. Let me sit on it for a while. I have bought some 28mm tyres fot my carbon racer and sort of got fixated with putting them on the Frettello. It may pass in a few days.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.