Author Topic: Steak sandwich  (Read 3415 times)

Steak sandwich
« on: 13 April, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »
Open a bottle of robust red wine. Pour yourself a glass.

Get a cast iron griddle really really hot, don't oil it.
Take one nice rump steak and pour a little olive oil onto it rub in with your hands and then grind a good amount of black pepper and salt over it.
Turn the steak over and repeat for the other side.
Chuck the steak on the griddle and leave it for two minutes, don't touch it just leave it.
Turn it over and again leave it for two minutes.
Remove it from the griddle and leave to rest on a warm plate.
Meanwhile cut a good length from a fresh baguette and slice it length ways.
Butter very lightly.
Spread one side with English mustard and the other with French mayonnaise.
Slice the steak into bite size pieces and place on the mustard spread half of the baguette
Toss some rocket in French dressing and pile on top of the steak.
Cap with the mayonnaise spread half of the baguette and press down firmly.
Serve with some sliced beefsteak tomatoes on the side and another glass of the wine.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Steak sandwich
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2008, 12:16:36 pm »
Bugger! Now I feel hungry.  ;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:25:52 pm »

Me too  :P.

I've been getting excellent results by making sure the steak is at room temperature before cooking and like said above, oiling the steak not the pan.

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:46:49 pm »
Mrs Pcolbeck got me a Le Creuset ridged griddle for my birthday a few years ago and it has improved my steak cooking no end (and lamb or pork chops). It's cast iron and heavy and gets really hot evenly all over even on our electric cooker and leaves those nice charred stripes. Does smoke like buggery when you chuck the meat on though. We are remodelling the kitchen soon and a much more powerful extractor is planned as currently I am banned from cooking lamb as it smoke the whole house out.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:38:07 pm »
So do I

and I'm just eating the last of my lunch!  >:(

Quote from: pcolbeck
Mrs Pcolbeck got me a Le Creuset ridged griddle for my birthday a few years ago

Is that enamel on the underneath?  I have a giddle which is plain cast iron and, although it cooks brilliantly, it leaves the (gas) hob in a hell of a state.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:39:59 pm »
Having had a joint in the oven for over 2 hours yesterday, which still leaked red blood all over the cutting board during slicing, is 2 minutes per side really long enough to cook a steak ???

Kathy

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2008, 04:26:17 pm »
Having had a joint in the oven for over 2 hours yesterday, which still leaked red blood all over the cutting board during slicing,

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Rare steak, mmmmmm.

Open a bottle of robust red wine. Pour yourself a glass.

Get a cast iron griddle really really hot, don't oil it.
Take one nice rump steak and pour a little olive oil onto it rub in with your hands and then grind a good amount of black pepper and salt over it.
Turn the steak over and repeat for the other side.
Chuck the steak on the griddle and leave it for two minutes, don't touch it just leave it.
Turn it over and again leave it for two minutes.
Remove it from the griddle and leave to rest on a warm plate.
Meanwhile cut a good length from a fresh baguette and slice it length ways.
Butter very lightly.
Spread one side with English mustard and the other with French mayonnaise.
Slice the steak into bite size pieces and place on the mustard spread half of the baguette
Toss some rocket in French dressing and pile on top of the steak.
Cap with the mayonnaise spread half of the baguette and press down firmly.
Serve with some sliced beefsteak tomatoes on the side and another glass of the wine.

Sit down in front of TV to eat steak sandwich.
Put plate on floor.
Pick up sandwich and bite into a confectionof bread and salad.
Look up confusedly to see steak (sans bread) being inched backwards around the corner.
:'(

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2008, 05:29:30 pm »

Is that enamel on the underneath?  I have a giddle which is plain cast iron and, although it cooks brilliantly, it leaves the (gas) hob in a hell of a state.

Yup, my (Le Creuset has enamel on the bottom and I don't have a problem with gas hob being in a state afterwards.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:36:57 pm »
Having had a joint in the oven for over 2 hours yesterday, which still leaked red blood all over the cutting board during slicing, is 2 minutes per side really long enough to cook a steak ???
Overcooked if you ask me!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:45:25 pm »
"Cooked so a good vet could revive it."

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2008, 08:50:58 pm »

Yup, my (Le Creuset has enamel on the bottom and I don't have a problem with gas hob being in a state afterwards.
Thanks -- I mentioned this to Mrs C and she's promised me a trip to the Le Crueset seconds shop in Street next week.  :thumbsup:  ;D
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:10:05 am »
The best way to eat steak (or any beef) is to wipe it's arse, trim it's horns and chuck it on the plate.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

gonzo

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:01:59 pm »

The better the steak, the less time it should be cooked for. Really nice fillet is ruined if it's not red in the middle.

This recipe is all about searing the steak. This keeps all the juices (the nice way of saying blood) inside and preserves the flavour. I used not to like the blood either, but I found that if you squish lots of coarse sea salt into the steak, that absorbs a lot of the blood.

« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:11:40 pm »
There's a big difference between cooking by heat conduction via air (a normal oven1) and direct heat conduction from a griddle/frying-pan. But then a griddle/frying-pan is useless for cooking large joints of beef.

1. Fan-assisted ovens are faster as the fan helps blow away the thin layer of colder air that clings to the food so that the food is in contact with the hotter air (this is why recipes usually suggest a lower temperature, and shorter cooking time, for fan assisted ovens).

bobmick

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:20:40 pm »
"Cooked so a good vet could revive it."

Agree.  Wave a candle under it and eat it.