Author Topic: Garmin customised waypoints  (Read 1649 times)

Garmin customised waypoints
« on: 16 January, 2009, 02:06:17 pm »
I've made some customised waypoints on mapsource - basically letters L, R and O for left right and roundabout.  That's probably a bit anal for a start.  They work well on the lap top, but aren't recognised by the Etrex.  Is there a way to make the Etrex recognise customised waypoints, or is it a feature that just works on Mapsource?

Re: Garmin customised waypoints
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2009, 02:57:47 pm »
Not much enperience yet, but I have had some success renaming waypoints in Memory Map then transferring them in a rtoue direct to my etrex legend. It doesn't seem to allow spaces or dashes though, and possibly limits me to 6 characters, which is a problem if the first 3 characters need to be the number id ie

035LT               Left at T

or

156OE1            Roundabout - 1st exit

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2009, 06:17:41 pm »
I don't know any way to get custom symbols into an Etrex.  Not only that, but as far as I can tell, only a very limited subset of all the symbols available in Mapsource, are in the GPS.  The blue cross 'hospital' symbol, for example, just shows as a red blob on the GPS screen.

Naming waypoints as Paul describes, is good, if you have the time and inclination.
I don't find any problem with dashes.
Id can just about be done with 2 chars (36x36 is, er, a lot), then a dash, leaving 3 chars for the instruction.  Actually 99.5% of instructions only require 2 chars anyway.  I use things like:
-X3 (implies a roundabout, 3rd exit)
-LR (left then shortly right)
as well as the more obvious ones
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2009, 07:55:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies, probably a refinement too far.  I've used the LR O system successfully so far, but had the idea that customised symbols would be an aid to my fifty odd year old eyesight (which is still great for long distances!)

BTW Frankie - I found your articles in Arrivée really useful when I was getting to grips with GPS.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:24:51 pm »
Make a .gpx file and then just hack it in Notepad to name the waypoints.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.