Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517527 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3725 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:13:31 pm »
Calling all ACME gravel riders.

Oh God, is that what you're calling yourselves these days? Next you'll be talking about bike packing micro adventures and fuck knows what other bullshit terms to describe what people having been doing on bicycles since the 19th century...

Pretentious fucks  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3726 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:20:37 pm »
There is an as ridden version of the Grit in the Oyster in the ACME RWGPS section.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #3727 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:30:56 pm »

Guilty as charged. 

Not joining the Mid-Essex Extreme Riding Conquering All Terrain Society (MEERCATS) on Saturday then ?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3728 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:32:42 pm »
Not joining the Mid-Essex Extreme Riding Conquering All Terrain Society (MEERCATS) on Saturday then ?
Were you working on that acronym all weekend??
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #3729 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:48:08 pm »
Were you working on that acronym all weekend??

;D :thumbsup:

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3730 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:49:10 pm »
It's a talent.

Sad really that it's the only one I have.

« Reply #3731 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:56:13 pm »

I think I'll stick to the roads, ta. They're bad enough at the moment to be considered off road!

« Reply #3732 on: 02 December, 2019, 05:58:27 pm »
It's a talent.

Sad really that it's the only one I have.

How about: Ted's Weekend All Terrain Society?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3733 on: 02 December, 2019, 08:19:59 pm »

I have been trying to find some suitable COR along the Stansted Airport Express Route for Saturday.

See https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31546688.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions and does anyone fancy this for Saturday ?

The bit at km14 is the path opps the John Smiths trailer on Church Lane - I've ridden it in the dark the other direction (downhill) without an issue - but if there's a few riders heading up it in daylight, might draw attention to yourselves as you pass the house!
Cut Throat Lane is fine up till km17.6, there is no exit on to ERW so you need to follow it along to exit at the RBT (make sure you use the bridge at the ford)
I've not done Dunmow Lane (km19-21) so will be interested to see how you find it, it looks like a grass track for the most of it and an impenetrable entrance off the main road. It turns to a farm track as it exits on to Pleshey Rd.
Trail off Mashbury Road is fine till it turns to a rutted grass track about km24.9
Not sure about the bit around Beauchamp Roding, will await your report...
At km102, whynot stay on Pods Lane and use a bit of the Flitch Way to get to Fairy Hall Lane (which is a bit muddy but generally OK as noted by Tomsk)
London Rd was rubbish on Saturday with cars, so good call optimizing through Notley!

Looks like a good adventure - don't forget your bike packing bags and 1x!

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3734 on: 06 December, 2019, 11:46:10 pm »
With one thing and another and the fact that my Black Friday bling bits didn't arrive until today, I am still building my new micro adventure backpacking gravel machine.  It is looking good though.

I will be on fixed tomorrow and sticking to the advisory route.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3735 on: 07 December, 2019, 12:20:22 am »
With one thing and another and the fact that my Black Friday bling bits didn't arrive until today, I am still building my new micro adventure backpacking gravel machine.  It is looking good though.

I will be on fixed tomorrow and sticking to the advisory route.

There's some interest in your gravel version of the Oyster on the UK Gravel Facebook forum.... are you a member there yet??
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3736 on: 07 December, 2019, 01:59:40 pm »

Oh God, is that what you're calling yourselves these days? Next you'll be talking about bike packing micro adventures and fuck knows what other bullshit terms to describe what people having been doing on bicycles since the 19th century...

Hang on, hang on, weren't you the first to get a pretentious gravel bike about five years ago, bobb?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3737 on: 07 December, 2019, 04:28:46 pm »
Ah, fair point m’lud.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3738 on: 12 December, 2019, 01:52:24 pm »
ACME Gravel Section members hosted a discussion about riding this Saturday along some Gravel (muddy) bits of Essex...

Here's a potential, 62km loop over 51% off-road (mixture of byways and bridleways) some gravel, some will be a little muddy I expect... Meet just outside Howe Green, finish at the Spiritual Home...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31587512

An additional 19km tunnels under the A12 at Ingatestone to take in the stunning true gravel track of Pound Wood and loops back to take in the climbing track of Chalk Hill

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31587567

I probably need to change the tyres on the Jack to something with some grip in the mud - wonder if I can resurrect my Gravelking Mud tyres after so long???

I expect it will be a dirty day a-wheel!

Any takers for the ride??
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3739 on: 12 December, 2019, 01:55:59 pm »
^^^ When?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3740 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:03:34 pm »
ACME Gravel Section members hosted a discussion about riding this Saturday along some Gravel (muddy) bits of Essex...

Here's a potential, 62km loop over 51% off-road (mixture of byways and bridleways) some gravel, some will be a little muddy I expect... Meet just outside Howe Green, finish at the Spiritual Home...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31587512

An additional 19km tunnels under the A12 at Ingatestone to take in the stunning true gravel track of Pound Wood and loops back to take in the climbing track of Chalk Hill

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31587567

I probably need to change the tyres on the Jack to something with some grip in the mud - wonder if I can resurrect my Gravelking Mud tyres after so long???

I expect it will be a dirty day a-wheel!

Any takers for the ride??

For the hard of hearing ^^^
Start time dependant on route and others, expect about 2 hours per 20 km ish (maybe quicker, but that is based off a similar (location and terrain) 40km ride in 2017  10AM might be a good start time, perhaps refreshments at Blackmore?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3741 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:06:04 pm »
Oh sorry... can’t make it  ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3742 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:06:50 pm »
 😂

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3743 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:11:32 pm »
I'm not sure if I could obtain permission, but I'd like to tag along, prob drive to Littley Green.

Could we meet/start and finish in the same place?

« Reply #3744 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:12:18 pm »
Quote from: RWGPS
The route you are trying to view is not public.

Do I have to be in some kind of ACME group thing?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3745 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:27:04 pm »
Quote from: RWGPS
The route you are trying to view is not public.

Do I have to be in some kind of ACME group thing?

I've them set as (RWGPS) Friends only - let me fix that... should be public now
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3746 on: 12 December, 2019, 02:58:30 pm »
Another night, another new venue for MEMWNS.

I don't think many of us had been to the Bryony Nano Brewery & Shebeen before but it was certainly worth a visit.

I had been there previously but that was before the brewery opened so, of course, I managed to get slightly lost - in fairness, the signposting was very localised and it didn't show up at all as a recognised venue on Google Maps or Untappd.  Fortunately I came across an apparent down and out carrying a plastic bag full of salad and wearing a "Vote Uncle Jezza" rosette who directed me on my way.

It was a bit of a double whammy for us with our usual election eve activities coinciding with our annual Xmas curry, just another of the issues with winter elections I suppose but you would have expected somebody in Government to check there was no clash with the MEMWNS curry night.

Being late as usual, everyone was already tucking into the starters when I finally made it.  I did manage a sliver of poppadum before Joergen smashed the remaining bhajis and pakoras down his throat.  Also present were Tomsk, Taffy Two Rices, Hotblack, Jemango, the Hustler, the ghost of Thomas Stevens (looking remarkably like the Fixie King) and Alexander Selkirk.  The brewery landlord also seemed unusually keen to be part of the evening - we are used to friendly landlords but not ones that sit down and eat our curry with us.  Apparently he used to ride long distance (or not very long at all actually if you listen to Thomas Stevens) and even claimed to be an ancien (don't they all).  Later we were joined by OD who had been attending a dinner to mark his long service award from Royal Mail. 

We sampled Bryony's Home Hopped, EPA, Wheat Beer and Raspberry Wheat Beer and Oude Leerling's London Porter. All the ales showed well and there was a contentious and vociferous difference of opinion between the permanent members of the Quaffers' Choice Committee and the stand in office junior (not helped by the experts in the room trying to bring actual knowledge to bear).  Judging by what was being drunk at the end of the evening and how little there was left, it looked like a narrow win for Bryony's Wheat Beer which just pipped the Home Hopped.

It used to be that the MEMWNS election eve hustings was a special and much treasured event but with the recent plethora of plebiscites, referenda and political fun, we seem to be having them almost monthly.  Nevertheless, we still managed our usual lively debate.  Joergen Thunberg spoke very passionately about the environment and I know we were all very affected by his tearful "how dare you" challenge.  Whilst the Hustler's advocacy on behalf of UKIP seemed like a forlorn gesture, it did seem heartfelt and who knew that was the real reason our hospitals are so busy.  Two Rices made a valiant effort on behalf of Plaid Cymru but the fact they weren't standing in Witham was always gong to count against him.  I was just never convinced that Thomas Stevens really believed in the message he was trying to convey on behalf of Labour and was their campaign slogan really "for the few not the many - particularly if they went to minor public schools" ?  Yet again, the runaway winner was OD on behalf of the Monster Raving Loony Party.  It is rare to find someone so in tune with his party's credo that he lives by it.

After the politics we briefly touched on death and sex (mind bleach is available for Joergen's description of his morning routine in his tent) before we moved on to planning our next gravel bikepacking micro adventure.

The ride home was notable only by how cold it was and how bright the almost full moon was, so bright it looked like dawn was about to break.  Minus 3 when you were expecting plus 3 or 4 is a bit of a shock to the system and seems to have brought on my usual Xmas lurgy. 

A big thank you to Huggy for hosting us and letting us drink all his lovingly prepared beer, GS for providing even more beer, Hustler for collecting the curry and then the salad and the Fixie King and the Strangler for keeping us amused.

Only 23 sleeps until the Epiphany After Party...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3747 on: 12 December, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »
Yes, just to repeat ted’s eloquent sentiments, thanks for putting up with us  :-*

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3748 on: 12 December, 2019, 04:06:01 pm »
Yep - much appreciated!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3749 on: 12 December, 2019, 04:12:51 pm »
Yep - much appreciated!  :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to visiting The Mighty North Hill Brewery to sample the endeavours of their head brewer GS Esq  :thumbsup: