Author Topic: Powering a powerbank  (Read 4466 times)

Re: Powering a powerbank
« Reply #25 on: 24 December, 2019, 07:59:57 pm »
10000 mAh is a nominal 37 watt hours, so to charge in 4 hours you need around 10 watts, which is about 2 amps. If you’re charging 3 at once you need 6 amps. Multi port chargers can’t always put out that many amps at once on all ports.

As Kim mentions it’s worth getting one of those £3 USB doctors to see what combo of charger/cable/power bank gets the best charging rate (amps/watts). There can be huge differences.

One tip for hotel rooms is the TV almost always has a USB port on the side. Throw a towel over it to block out the light.

« Reply #26 on: 25 December, 2019, 04:41:07 am »
The calculation can be put even more simply: to charge 10Ah in 5 hours you need 2A

I put a couple of links in the previous message but, flicking through the search results on Amazon, there are lots of chargers which claim to offer 2A or more per port:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=usb+charger+4+port&crid=19RZ2EFXLB3RO&sprefix=usb+char%2Caps%2C169&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8

They may not all deliver, but the two that I have both do a 10Ah battery within 5 hours, which is what matters. 

Like any piece of kit, you would want to test it beforehand to make sure that it does what you need it to do!

« Reply #27 on: 25 December, 2019, 05:48:20 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Happy Christmas too.
The thing I'm really taking away from this is that not all chargers are as efficient. The 3 socket one I picked up at the local Brico  is likely naff.
I'll test some in the new year.
I hear you on the photos too Frank :-)   It didn't help matters when more than once I hastily returned my phone into the racing pocket after taking a couple of shots with it still on.
There was a happy ending to the excess of photos though as Yan H. saw a couple I posted on instgram during the race and asked me to write an article for BQ.
He generously paid me for the piece which ultimately ended up going right back with him to buy some of his bicycle components.

often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 29 December, 2019, 09:40:07 pm »
(taking photos =faffing!)

Not necessarily. I have a Olympus TG5 that I keep in the pocket of my Jersey, I take it out, snap 2-3 photos, and put it away again, no need to even stop pedalling.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Happy Christmas too.
The thing I'm really taking away from this is that not all chargers are as efficient. The 3 socket one I picked up at the local Brico  is likely naff.

You generally get what you pay for. It's worth spending a little extra for something that works well. I'm really pleased bwith the RAV power 40w unit I have. If you are planning on traveling abroad, consider getting one with the correct plug in it, UK to EU converters are stupidly bulky. Amazon.de will ship most of their chargers to the UK. I have different charger units depending on country.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #29 on: 29 December, 2019, 10:40:23 pm »
Thanks QG. I'll be based in, well.....Morbihan from June for a few months so will pick some up at that end.
Application in for TCR again so fingers crossed they get plenty of real time use heading South and East in July.
often lost.

rr

« Reply #30 on: 29 December, 2019, 10:52:50 pm »
I have a 7 port, 60Watt Bose charger, claims a max of 2.4A per port. Can't find a current link but there are plenty similar out there.
Seems to perform as stated and is not much slower than my QC3 charger.
A useful feature that led to me choosing it is that it takes a standard figure 8 mains lead and so travel can be dealt with by buying a suitably plugged replacement lead, this is tidier, safer and avoids the steric hindrance that often occurs with adapters, particularly in hotels. Some others come with sizable wallwarts which I could see causing all sorts of problems.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 29 December, 2019, 11:00:06 pm »
I have a 7 port, 60Watt Bose charger, claims a max of 2.4A per port. Can't find a current link but there are plenty similar out there.
A useful feature that led to me choosing it is that it takes a standard figure 8 mains lead and so travel can be dealt with by buying a suitably plugged replacement lead, this is tidier, safer and avoids the steric hindrance that often occurs with adapters, particularly in hotels. Some others come with sizable wallwarts which I could see causing all sorts of problems.

What's the weight of the Device like? How bulky is it with the cable?

I like the flexibility idea, but the bulk and yet another cable put me off...
J
--

« Reply #32 on: 29 December, 2019, 11:05:04 pm »
The most compact option is to find something with an integrated two pin European plug which can also be used in UK sockets with appropriate ingenuity. Not that I recommend doing this, of course.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 29 December, 2019, 11:32:35 pm »
The most compact option is to find something with an integrated two pin European plug which can also be used in UK sockets with appropriate ingenuity. Not that I recommend doing this, of course.

Best to use non-conductive ingenuity if it's not a socket you trust...

rr

« Reply #34 on: 30 December, 2019, 07:15:59 am »

What's the weight of the Device like? How bulky is it with the cable?

I like the flexibility idea, but the bulk and yet another cable put me off...
J
Charger is not much bigger in plan than my phone and USB port thick, I have a long mains cable and short usb cables, so total length of cables is not excessive.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 30 December, 2019, 09:01:03 am »

Best to use non-conductive ingenuity if it's not a socket you trust...
I have lived to tell a tale about conductive ingenuity that involves early speech, fashion accessories and digital combustion.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rr

« Reply #36 on: 30 December, 2019, 01:14:43 pm »
Rechecked, charger unit is considerably smaller in plan than my phone

rr

« Reply #37 on: 30 December, 2019, 01:18:48 pm »
This is mine although not available it gives sizes etc
 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LU9GQV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8HFcEb63YCEND

« Reply #38 on: 30 December, 2019, 01:24:30 pm »
So many different options. So much confusing techy data. ???
I wish things could be as simple as peddling!
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 30 December, 2019, 02:36:50 pm »
This is mine although not available it gives sizes etc
 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LU9GQV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8HFcEb63YCEND

I have one of these, tho I left it in the UK. It's heavier, and bulkier than my EU plugged wallwart.

I'll take a photo when back at the hotel...

J
--

« Reply #40 on: 30 December, 2019, 04:35:36 pm »
I've been using an earlier version of one of these for some years, which has C7 input. Much better than straight plug in as sometimes those are too heavy to stay in and, as has been said, changing to alternate socket type is simple. Interestingly the one I have doesn't support QC, but appears to charge much faster than other non-QC chargers, where the connected device supports higher current. Never had an issue with heating, either. This suggests that the "Smart ID" moniker actually has some smarts behind it.

https://www.iclever.com/products/iclever-boostcube-60w-6-port-usb-wall-charger

This current version looks hard to source, tbh.