Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526188 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1400 on: 25 June, 2016, 10:32:24 pm »
I think he had the velcro attachments on at that point.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #1401 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:52:49 am »
So last night I decided to start checking my Gravel route out.....I did not get very far! Checking bridleways after 4 days of pretty solid rain was never going to be a good idea.

The first piece was our previously used path between Grange road and Maldon road in Tiptree....bit Soggy but OK. The next one was a bridle way from Grange Road down towards Braxted Park. The first bit was Ok, Gras with some gravel underneath, the odd puddle but kind of what I expected. Then it turned into the woods and all hell broke loose. I got about 400m into that and found a full width mudbath at which point I turned around and decided this would be one to chalk up as a Don't bother.

I guess this will be the run of things though, figuring out which tracks are passable and which are not....it was fun anyway.

The Croix De Fer with the knobbly 40's on it was brilliant. Hard getting up to speed but once there all ok. They performed pretty well in the Mud considering just how much there was! Anyway, I'll be looking for more of the Gravel and swerving the really muddy stuff that has been used by a lot of horses. I suspect that will probably limit me more to the Byways than the bridleways.

Also, I finally felt the pedalling issues others had mentioned you get after riding a fixed gear bike. I actually thought something was broken for the first couple of minutes....weird!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1402 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:41:16 pm »
Quick rules check... if I ECE an event but decide to bail out of the ECE, I still get the event distance don't I ?  ??? (i.e. ride to start but not do the last bit of the ECE after the end of the event...)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1403 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:49:25 pm »
Yep....probably worth sending Martin a quick mail to tell him you didn't do the ECE but you will still be credited with the Event either way. (as long as you complete it)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1404 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:55:39 pm »
Ta - trying to decide in my head should I ECE the 400km this weekend and make it my 600..... I have 3/4 of a plan (i.e. a route of sorts)

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1405 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:14:44 pm »
That is a pretty good call considering there are sleep facilities along the way as well!

I have only just realised that the route goes right past the end of my road, as I am not riding it I never looked that closely. I think I might need to look at a DIY ride on the route though. It would have me sleeping at 240 km which is just about Perfect I reckon.

« Reply #1406 on: 29 June, 2016, 11:32:01 am »
Right, so an update on the Fixed.....

I had the new chain on for the DIY in the weekend and it did make a bike difference, a lot less noise. There was still clicking when I put any reasonable power through the cranks and on hills it was making all kinds of clunking and clicking noises.

On Sunday I took the cranks off and checked all the bolts on the chain ring which were all nice and tight. I had noticed on the tour that there did seem to be a gap between the Bottom bracket and the shell which I had forgotten about. Sure enough I put the BB tool in and it practically undid itself. I took the whole BB out, cleaned it, greased it and put it back in and tightened it up properly.

The result, on the ride over to Witham was an absolutely silent drive and it resolved the issue with the cracks touching the chain stay under heavier loads as well.....although an attack on the back of the drive side crank with the Dremmel helped that already!

I put the 17t on so have moved up to 73(ish) inches now, will see how that goes, might be some walking involved.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1407 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:24:09 pm »
METHS

Good folks of ACME - does anyone want some METHS? (lots of METHS!)

I was looking around for a cheap source of meths for the Trangia since my current 2L bottle had run out.  I was about to but a 5L bottle from restexpress for £11.95 plus P&P, but noticed that they do a 4x5L bundle for £43.55 including the P&P - i.e. about £10.90 for 5L

Any takers for the 3 spare 5L bottles if I decide to order this?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1408 on: 29 June, 2016, 04:09:04 pm »
Do they do a good price on Coke as well?  ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1409 on: 29 June, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »
METHS

Good folks of ACME - does anyone want some METHS? (lots of METHS!)

I was looking around for a cheap source of meths for the Trangia since my current 2L bottle had run out.  I was about to but a 5L bottle from restexpress for £11.95 plus P&P, but noticed that they do a 4x5L bundle for £43.55 including the P&P - i.e. about £10.90 for 5L

Any takers for the 3 spare 5L bottles if I decide to order this?

I'm happy to go in with you.  But ...

We will be in France in less than 2 weeks and I was going to check out the French version of meths (alcool à brûler?) to see if it was cheaper.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1410 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »
Looks like the French stuff is cheaper, brico depot seems to do it for €1.82 per L or €8.65 for 5L if you can get to one of those.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1411 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:11:25 pm »
The last lot I bought from Mondy's was £8.99 for 2l  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1412 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:20:55 pm »
Looks like the French stuff is cheaper, brico depot seems to do it for €1.82 per L or €8.65 for 5L if you can get to one of those.

Oaky, rather than you buy a load of meths from your source, should I bring a load back from French France???

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1413 on: 29 June, 2016, 06:05:58 pm »

Oaky, rather than you buy a load of meths from your source, should I bring a load back from French France???

Sounds like a plan to me!  I assume Tilly can accommodate.

« Reply #1414 on: 29 June, 2016, 06:14:27 pm »
Looks like the French stuff is cheaper, brico depot seems to do it for €1.82 per L

Isn't €1.82 about £25 at the moment?  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1415 on: 29 June, 2016, 06:59:31 pm »
Oh yeah bobb, you know last week we talked about ACME Elders having official titles and they need to be listed on our web shite. Oaky is Fire Safety Officer. Best not ask why although I have a video.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1416 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:01:50 pm »
How is the site getting on?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1417 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:21:53 pm »
The French meths has a higher alcohol content than the British stuff and therefore burns hotter  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1418 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:30:19 pm »
The French meths has a higher alcohol content than the British stuff and therefore burns hotter  :)

Splendid!!!

« Reply #1419 on: 01 July, 2016, 08:58:55 am »
For those not riding The Kingdom of the East Saxons this weekend I am thinking of heading over towards Great Easton to get some snaps of the field on their way out.

Planning to leave Tiptree about 8:30 and drop into the Compasses for a quick lunch on the way home.

Anyone interested?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1420 on: 01 July, 2016, 01:03:36 pm »
^ Excellent idea  :thumbsup: - I'll tell riders to smile and wave, while they're still feeling perky  :demon:

Drop into St Mary's Room on your way out if you like. I'll be there from about 09:00.

« Reply #1421 on: 01 July, 2016, 01:05:02 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I'll be nice to them this time and not wait at the top of a hill......I think!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1422 on: 01 July, 2016, 01:08:03 pm »

Splendid!!!

It tastes worse though.   ;) :P

« Reply #1423 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »
But I think it is not poisonous like the UK meths :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1424 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:49:34 pm »
But I think it is not poisonous like the UK meths :)

Like that's ever stopped Oaky.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways