Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526391 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4300 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:11:35 pm »
Just booked both my COVID jabs!  Chelmsford Racecourse, 29th March and 15th June!  Really chuffed!!!   :thumbsup:

If you are over 56 you can book on-line like I did, although it said on the telly that anyone over 56 should be getting a letter very soon.
I also have bookings (29th march and 16th June) at Chelmsford Racecourse. Whilst out on a bike today thought I would check out the cycle access - forget it! The only access is off the dual carriageway (A131).

I think I shall take the horseless carriage  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4301 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:14:42 pm »
That's a bit rubbish, you'd think they'd open up Moulsham Hall Lane as an entrance.

I really don't like that place - I think it stems from the massive light pollution it gives off with all the lights on most of the time when I am over that area.

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4302 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:18:55 pm »
That's a bit rubbish, you'd think they'd open up Moulsham Hall Lane as an entrance.

I really don't like that place - I think it stems from the massive light pollution it gives off with all the lights on most of the time when I am over that area.

I really don't care, I just want those jabs as soon as possible and I'll do whatever it takes to get 'em.  I just wish The Current Mrs R had the chance to have hers at the same time.  Even if we had to travel some distance in the middle of the night we'd still go for it.

« Reply #4303 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:54:00 pm »
Just booked both my COVID jabs!  Chelmsford Racecourse, 29th March and 15th June!  Really chuffed!!!   :thumbsup:

If you are over 56 you can book on-line like I did, although it said on the telly that anyone over 56 should be getting a letter very soon.
I also have bookings (29th march and 16th June) at Chelmsford Racecourse. Whilst out on a bike today thought I would check out the cycle access - forget it! The only access is off the dual carriageway (A131).

Can you arrive by horse?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4304 on: 09 March, 2021, 08:44:47 pm »

I really don't care, I just want those jabs as soon as possible and I'll do whatever it takes to get 'em.  I just wish The Current Mrs R had the chance to have hers at the same time.  Even if we had to travel some distance in the middle of the night we'd still go for it.

Oh don't get me wrong - I too want my jab ASAP (but being a little younger I can't get it at the moment despite having to interact with a load of kids most days soon)  It's the venue I have the problem with - shit design..

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4305 on: 09 March, 2021, 09:15:06 pm »
I walked to my local surgery and was amazed to find it was all geared up for cars with dozens of AA signs, an additional car park and volunteers guiding people to and from the car park.
Not a single sign or volunteer to show people walking in the entrance was at the back of the building

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #4306 on: 09 March, 2021, 09:20:33 pm »
I cycled to my surgery, and one of the volunteers directing people watched my bike for me for the whole time I was in there (a few minutes for the jab plus 15 minutes sitting down before I was allowed out) :thumbsup:

I didn't see any other cyclists, but there were certainly people arriving on foot - there's very limited parking, but it's in the town centre so people could get there by whatever means might suit them.

« Reply #4307 on: 09 March, 2021, 09:33:01 pm »
When I had my jab I cycled. Afterwards I was told I would have to wait 5 mins if I had walked and 15 if I had driven. “You’ve come by bike, we’ve not had that before....you can wait 10 mins”

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4308 on: 09 March, 2021, 10:54:14 pm »
I cycled to mine as it was a bit too far to walk. I suspect a high proportion in urban Tower Hamlets had not driven, it was in part of Queen Mary college with very little parking. I didn't have to wait afterwards at all - they told me no need with the Astrazeneca. I was fine cycling home, the following day though was a rather different story!

« Reply #4309 on: 09 March, 2021, 11:07:05 pm »
I cycled to mine as it was a bit too far to walk. I suspect a high proportion in urban Tower Hamlets had not driven, it was in part of Queen Mary college with very little parking. I didn't have to wait afterwards at all - they told me no need with the Astrazeneca. I was fine cycling home, the following day though was a rather different story!
Likewise, the advice for both vaccines now is there is no need to wait, and the next day I felt awful. Bed by 9pm. Fine the next day but a v sore arm today, 3 days after the jab . At least a reaction shows an immune response

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4310 on: 10 March, 2021, 08:24:37 am »

My 1st jab is 19th March at the racecourse, will I cycle there? Hmm ...

Mrs Tomsk's is today, at the local surgery - I checked with them, but no appointments for the older-but-relatively-healthy. Fair enough.

« Reply #4311 on: 10 March, 2021, 09:06:14 am »
Surely you're only on the dual carriageway for a few hundred yards? It's been a while *checks Strava heatmap*, but I've certainly ridden along there before...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4312 on: 10 March, 2021, 09:27:17 am »
Surely you're only on the dual carriageway for a few hundred yards? It's been a while *checks Strava heatmap*, but I've certainly ridden along there before...

It's not far to get in..  the entrance 800m ish from the first RBT with just under 2km between the RBTs.  There is a foot crossing about 100m up from the exit but it's a wiggle through crash barrier in central reserve. 

So a minute to get to the entrance, couple of mins to get away from the place (hopefully with the prevailing SW tail wind...)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4313 on: 10 March, 2021, 09:35:23 am »
It is one bit of Dual Carriageway I would avoid. The racecourse entry is very poorly signed, so you will have drivers travelling at speed looking for signs and an entrance and not concentrating on anything else. The first time I went there by car I missed the entrance.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4314 on: 10 March, 2021, 09:37:50 am »
Unfortunately with militant anti-vaxers about the vaccination site has to be secure, hence 24 hour security and one easily monitored entrance.

« Reply #4315 on: 10 March, 2021, 05:54:38 pm »
Wow, I was getting envious of everyone getting their appointments, and out-of-the-blue I got a message from my surgery this afternoon. First jab on 15th March. Location: Bishop's Stortford Football Club. Easy access by bike, about 1.5km door to door.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4316 on: 10 March, 2021, 07:15:26 pm »
Great news psyclist!  Let’s hope we’re all jabbed up soon.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4317 on: 11 March, 2021, 08:47:11 am »
Mrs T reports a sore arm and general meh this morning ... seems this is par for the course.

« Reply #4318 on: 12 March, 2021, 04:37:57 pm »
I am booked in for my local surgery on the 21st of this month so I should be all set for the resumption of MEMWNS  :thumbsup:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #4319 on: 13 March, 2021, 03:19:48 pm »
Think it might be while before I get jabbed. Certainly not before the Woodman, just in case the puts anyone off riding in an ACME group that might include me.  ;D
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4320 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:39:03 pm »
Had my vaccination yesterday at Notley - all very efficient, though they were surprised that I’d come by bike. I suppose people with underlying health conditions aren’t supposed to be fit and healthy(ish)
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #4321 on: 16 March, 2021, 10:02:51 am »
The NHS national booking page is now accepting all over 50s even though it still says 55 and over.  Now booked in for Thu am at a centre just 1.3 miles walk away.  Second jab early June.

Seems weird to book later and get earlier appointments than some of you guys.  I guess they’ve just opened up a whole load of new appointments with a batch of 5 million doses of AZ gaining approval from the regulator this week.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4322 on: 16 March, 2021, 10:12:31 am »
I got a text from my surgery yesterday, spoke to some woman I know there and got booked in for this morning.....putting my walking shoes on soon for a walk in to town
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4323 on: 16 March, 2021, 10:13:52 am »
I got a text from my surgery yesterday, spoke to some woman I know there and got booked in for this morning.....putting my walking shoes on soon for a walk in to town

Yeah me too, I could go tomorrow but I'm sticking with the 29th.  Just phoned the GP to let them know.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4324 on: 16 March, 2021, 11:03:31 am »
There's hope for all you old codgers, including those with afflictions, what an excellent service you're receiving.