Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526253 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5025 on: 13 April, 2022, 05:02:37 pm »
Yes, but the original came out a bit too easily - I wonder if it was just loose? Only realised how tight they need to be when installing the new one. Anyway, it's done. :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5026 on: 13 April, 2022, 05:03:21 pm »
Yes, but the original came out a bit too easily - I wonder if it was just loose? Only realised how tight they need to be when installing the new one. Anyway, it's done. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5027 on: 13 April, 2022, 05:33:26 pm »
(I am riding gears today)

You mean now you've repaired the chain on the geared bike that exploded ½ km into a recent ride? (You should've stuck to fixed  😂)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

felstedrider

« Reply #5028 on: 13 April, 2022, 09:30:46 pm »
(I am riding gears today)

You mean now you've repaired the chain on the geared bike that exploded ½ km into a recent ride? (You should've stuck to fixed  😂)

Tis a new chain.   I had bent several links on the other one.  37 quid for a new chain….

(This has never happened on a fixed bike)

felstedrider

« Reply #5029 on: 13 April, 2022, 09:43:15 pm »
I told you it was gonna be shit, but did you listen?

I've years of ACME and Audax experience of fixed and single speed riders telling me how good it is to ride fixed, how it makes you a smoother rider (that'll be why your knees hurt and you're weaving all over the road then) how it's so reliable etc, etc.

That's as they squeak along having hour long discussions about gear inches or the problem with their chain alignment, both easily solved by getting a range of gears like a normal rider btw. Or I wait for ages for them to fix a puncture "cos they're pissing about with getting the wheel out from under the mudguards or the chain tension is wrong.

Or waiting while they pick themselves up of the road when they've fallen off, "I'm on fixed, give me some room".

Or, "I've riden AAA events on fixed" or "PBP",  like I'm gonna be impressed🙄 No, you're a bigger idiot than I thought you were.

But at least it's entertainment I suppose. Seeing a fixed gear rider on a long descent for one.

At least the true Doyens of fixed gear riding like BFC and Tomsk, really do ride smoothly and just get on with it, they do impress me.

But the rest .......

Did I tell you I had done 3 PBPs on fixed ?

And 3 24hr TTs

I could go on.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5030 on: 13 April, 2022, 11:49:09 pm »
@'fandango,  I think you've hit a nerve ^^^ 😄

« Reply #5031 on: 16 April, 2022, 07:22:42 pm »
Well the bivvying was a great success. Perfect in being able to fit around family so after dinner headed off down to the local coast. Knew we wanted to go on the sea wall but tried to avoid the obvious route onto it so spent a fair bit of time going round fields which appeared to have been driven round by the farmer then baked hard in the sun so was akin to cycling across a giant wash board.

Found a nice quiet area with soft long grass to set up and the moon was so bright it cast shadows meaning torches weren't necessary. Everything set up which took only a handfulof minutes, a couple of beers and then settled down. Not a great night's sleep and my sleeping bag was wet in the bivvy bag but that may have been a combination of me sliding down into it and breathing as well as it getting damp outside as the temperature dropped. I hope that's the case as its a brand new hunka XL, might drop alpkit an email Tuesday though

Up early this morning and loaded the bike while kettle boiled, unfortunately didn't notice the front visitation I'd had till bike was loaded. That changed we headed home and slowly took off the layers as even just after 7 the temperature was rising and heading away from the coast its all (comparatively) uphill

Unfortunately received another visitation in the rear this time from a sharp stone so more faffing but just over an hour home and was lovely that the kids found me drinking a tea when they got up. Also a lovely sunny day for drying all the damp gear. I dont think I'd want to bivvy for too many nights as dampness seemed inevitable but for a quick night get away and ease of pitching and breaking camp it was great.

Was lovely to use my Thorn club tour for its main use and even subject it to some type 2 fun COR and some actually enjoyable COR, maybe that's actually just OR

More mini adventures must happen this year for sure

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5032 on: 17 April, 2022, 07:17:44 am »
 Nicely done!

« Reply #5033 on: 17 April, 2022, 11:18:04 am »
Well the bivvying was a great success. Perfect in being able to fit around family so after dinner headed off down to the local coast. Knew we wanted to go on the sea wall but tried to avoid the obvious route onto it so spent a fair bit of time going round fields which appeared to have been driven round by the farmer then baked hard in the sun so was akin to cycling across a giant wash board.

Found a nice quiet area with soft long grass to set up and the moon was so bright it cast shadows meaning torches weren't necessary. Everything set up which took only a handfulof minutes, a couple of beers and then settled down. Not a great night's sleep and my sleeping bag was wet in the bivvy bag but that may have been a combination of me sliding down into it and breathing as well as it getting damp outside as the temperature dropped. I hope that's the case as its a brand new hunka XL, might drop alpkit an email Tuesday though

Up early this morning and loaded the bike while kettle boiled, unfortunately didn't notice the front visitation I'd had till bike was loaded. That changed we headed home and slowly took off the layers as even just after 7 the temperature was rising and heading away from the coast its all (comparatively) uphill

Unfortunately received another visitation in the rear this time from a sharp stone so more faffing but just over an hour home and was lovely that the kids found me drinking a tea when they got up. Also a lovely sunny day for drying all the damp gear. I dont think I'd want to bivvy for too many nights as dampness seemed inevitable but for a quick night get away and ease of pitching and breaking camp it was great.

Was lovely to use my Thorn club tour for its main use and even subject it to some type 2 fun COR and some actually enjoyable COR, maybe that's actually just OR

More mini adventures must happen this year for sure
Great - sounds like you had fun. thanks for the write-up :)

« Reply #5034 on: 18 April, 2022, 03:12:35 pm »
Okay, please can people suggest some 600s for me?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5035 on: 18 April, 2022, 03:23:57 pm »
Hahahaha, ECE A&S?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5036 on: 18 April, 2022, 04:44:08 pm »
Cheers, I will have a look!

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5037 on: 18 April, 2022, 05:51:18 pm »
Fenland Friends, a Tomsk ride from Dunmow. You will recognise much of the routing/terrain from your Arrow - there aren't many options to get across the rivers and fenland drains.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5038 on: 19 April, 2022, 07:40:19 am »

Or devise your own.

My first 600 was a route to Hull and back through all the places with "Witham" in their name.  I also devised my own 400, best not mention it to huggy, it still brings on his nervous twitch  ;D

felstedrider

« Reply #5039 on: 19 April, 2022, 01:09:50 pm »

As others have suggested the best bet locally and as a first timer is Fenland Friends but you do have to love the flat roads.   It can be bliss and it can be bloody awful.   It sounds like Owen will be finishing his Essex SR with the same event so hopefully we have access to the Angel & Harp garden this time round (and it's warm).

I'm travelling about a bit this year and doing one up North and one in Wales before doing FF.   

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #5040 on: 19 April, 2022, 08:33:47 pm »
I missed all the excitement about the fixed rant! It may have come up in conversation on the ride to York... Carlos is probably intimidated by the scent of testosterone around fixed riders  :P
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5041 on: 20 April, 2022, 07:13:16 am »

Nick, sorry if you've covered this elsewhere, but how did your new SS machine cope on the Arrow?  Any squeaks?

« Reply #5042 on: 20 April, 2022, 12:52:53 pm »

Nick, sorry if you've covered this elsewhere, but how did your new SS machine cope on the Arrow?  Any squeaks?

I can confirm there were no squeaks from Nick’s SS bike on the arrow, at least not that we could hear.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5043 on: 20 April, 2022, 01:37:27 pm »

I can confirm there were no squeaks from Nick’s SS bike on the arrow, at least not that we could hear.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5044 on: 20 April, 2022, 01:57:10 pm »

Nick rode the Giant (geared bike with dynamo), I don't expect he has the confidence in his single speed skills/endurance to do a 400.

« Reply #5045 on: 20 April, 2022, 01:58:48 pm »

Nick rode the Giant (geared bike with dynamo), I don't expect he has the confidence in his single speed skills/endurance to do a 400.

This is true!!

« Reply #5046 on: 21 April, 2022, 06:00:51 am »
My Italy Divide adventure is feeling rather close, as I’m sat on a plane in Luton. Two years later than planned.

For those who have been asking, the race can be followed at
http://trackleaders.com/italydivide22f.php

Start time is 11:30 on Saturday, Italian time.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5047 on: 21 April, 2022, 08:52:34 am »
Good luck and have a great ride. This is something you’ll remember for the rest of your life and something most people will never experience. I will be watching you closely!

« Reply #5048 on: 21 April, 2022, 10:08:34 am »
Good luck psyclist. I hope you have a great ride.
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5049 on: 21 April, 2022, 06:26:39 pm »
Good Luck and have a great ride!