Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526413 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5325 on: 11 August, 2022, 12:03:27 pm »
We appear to be missing the traditional post MEMWNS report???  ???

Good point, where is The Bard?

« Reply #5326 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:21:00 am »
On Saturday, as part of my prep for ACME goes Dutch, I shall attempt this 88 mile route.

If you fancy joining me feel free to meet for breakfast at D's Diner, Hatty P, at 8am.  Pace will be gentle with lots of stops.

Right, I'm in. I'll see you at D's tomorrow morning, bright and early!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5327 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:30:26 am »
On Saturday, as part of my prep for ACME goes Dutch, I shall attempt this 88 mile route.

If you fancy joining me feel free to meet for breakfast at D's Diner, Hatty P, at 8am.  Pace will be gentle with lots of stops.

Right, I'm in. I'll see you at D's tomorrow morning, bright and early!

Fabulous!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5328 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:40:48 am »
Will you be on Fred?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5329 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:49:13 am »
Will you be on Fred?

Yes, as I was on Wednesday.  But with lightweight wheel set.

« Reply #5330 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:55:13 am »
OK, I'll see what state my Surly is in - haven't ridden it for a while....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5331 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:59:56 am »
OK, I'll see what state my Surly is in - haven't ridden it for a while....

:thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: ACME Miscellany.
« Reply #5332 on: 12 August, 2022, 05:57:23 pm »
I ok'd LEL last time for the Essex SR - there's plenty of lovely Essexness to count, plus the start in Debden is just in the county. Riding round the old county boundary on my Post-Lockdown 2020 tour made me realise how much has been sliced off and lost to London boroughs, Cambridgeshire, Herts and Suffolk too. The Anglican Diocese of Chelmsford mirrors the old county pretty much exactly, so that's good enough for me!

Essex SR done  ;D

200: Richard Ellis perm
300: G&YF
400: A&S
600: LEL
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5333 on: 22 August, 2022, 08:13:26 pm »
Anyone thinking of going up to the Mildenhall Rally this weekend? (Actually at West Row again this year).

Saturday morning/rest of the day or maybe just Sunday afternoon would work for me. Grass track racing and other events both days, cycle jumble/car boot on Sunday. It's a pleasant 2.5 to 3 hour ride each way from Dunmow: Clare Station cafe would be a good rendezvous-point as it's about half-way. For once there's a good forecast for the August bank holiday. Last year I went to the one-day event and it was cold, grey and windswept, but good to see the rally revived, nevertherless.

« Reply #5334 on: 23 August, 2022, 06:51:02 am »
I’d be up for a ride up to Mildenhall on Saturday:), could meet you in Dunmow
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #5335 on: 23 August, 2022, 07:52:33 am »
I would express an interest on Saturday meet up in Dunmow and use the ride up to West Row as part of my DIY route back home.

As long as the pace is steady.......
CCS - Setting the Standards

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5336 on: 23 August, 2022, 05:41:52 pm »
I would express an interest on Saturday meet up in Dunmow and use the ride up to West Row as part of my DIY route back home.

As long as the pace is steady.......

Ok we'll be gentle! How about meeting at Paradise for breakfast? If not far enough into your DIY,  then come staight to Tomsk Towers and we'll head to Clare for elevenses. Start from Dunmow at 09:00, or would earlier suit? An 09:00 start would mean up at the rally for lunch, stay as long as, then head back late afternoon/early evening. Maybe a pub stop somewhere?

« Reply #5337 on: 23 August, 2022, 07:26:00 pm »
Sounds like a good day out, 9.00 start works for me.
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #5338 on: 23 August, 2022, 08:28:22 pm »
I am happy to go with 9.00am at Tomsk HQ with stop off at Clare for elevenses, and at lunch at the rally. I can then carry on with my DIY  towards Bury St Edmunds and back home.

I would not object to a pub stop on the way up....if it suits everyone.....

CCS - Setting the Standards

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #5339 on: 23 August, 2022, 09:09:18 pm »
Anyone interested in doing Vatternrundan next year? Dates are 16-17 June. I’m probably going to do it as part of the Swedish circuit which also includes the 90km vasaloppet, 3km vansbrosimningen and 30km lidingoloppet if anyone is interested in that?
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #5340 on: 23 August, 2022, 09:53:00 pm »
Anyone interested in doing Vatternrundan next year?

Interested, yes. But, I’m currently selecting which big bikepacking ride to target next year, and one of the ones in June is looking favourite. I’ll know next month.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

felstedrider

« Reply #5341 on: 24 August, 2022, 10:54:53 am »
Anyone interested in doing Vatternrundan next year? Dates are 16-17 June. I’m probably going to do it as part of the Swedish circuit which also includes the 90km vasaloppet, 3km vansbrosimningen and 30km lidingoloppet if anyone is interested in that?

Bit short for you isn't it ?

I would consider it but I am not currently sure how next year will look.   There are a few moving parts.

*EDIT*  Interesting.   You could ride there in a week.   2 week tour with the ride in the middle ?

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #5342 on: 24 August, 2022, 03:07:34 pm »

I would consider it but I am not currently sure how next year will look.   There are a few moving parts.

*EDIT*  Interesting.   You could ride there in a week.   2 week tour with the ride in the middle ?

I was also thinking maybe I could fly out for the Vätternrundan and then tour about a bit until the vansbrosimningen which happens at the beginning of July.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

felstedrider

« Reply #5343 on: 24 August, 2022, 03:24:18 pm »

I was also thinking maybe I could fly out for the Vätternrundan and then tour about a bit until the vansbrosimningen which happens at the beginning of July.

With the way things are going at work there's a reasonable chance I will have a chunk of spare time next year.   Might mean I can ride to Paris as well.

felstedrider

« Reply #5344 on: 24 August, 2022, 03:29:12 pm »
On a slightly different note I have a milestone birthday in January and I'm keen to do something.

I'm thinking a group 50k perm from the Spiritual Home the last Saturday of the month.   We could use the Hopstock route and have something at the Blue Egg part way round finishing with drinks/food.   If enough people are up for it will talk to our favourite landlord about using one of the function rooms.

Rob

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5345 on: 24 August, 2022, 03:34:56 pm »
On a slightly different note I have a milestone birthday in January and I'm keen to do something.

I'm thinking a group 50k perm from the Spiritual Home the last Saturday of the month.   We could use the Hopstock route and have something at the Blue Egg part way round finishing with drinks/food.   If enough people are up for it will talk to our favourite landlord about using one of the function rooms.

Rob

Rob, so long as COVID doesn't kick off again the first Saturday in January should be Epiphany 2023 so perhaps something else to include in your Big Birthday plans?

felstedrider

« Reply #5346 on: 24 August, 2022, 03:42:53 pm »

Rob

Rob, so long as COVID doesn't kick off again the first Saturday in January should be Epiphany 2023 so perhaps something else to include in your Big Birthday plans?

Now there's planning.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5347 on: 24 August, 2022, 05:22:03 pm »

Rob

With luck and a following wind I'll be a Senior SR next year ...

felstedrider

« Reply #5348 on: 25 August, 2022, 10:24:43 am »

Rob

With luck and a following wind I'll be a Senior SR next year ...

It is a little known fact that, in the early days of my AUK membership, I was credited with a Senior SR.   They had my year of birth as 1923 and not 1973.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5349 on: 26 August, 2022, 02:16:23 pm »
Earlier in the year I organised The Essex and Suffolk Borders 200 from Manningtree and on the same day offered up the reverse route starting from Buntingford.

I'd like to do so similar for 1 April 2023 but it requires help from at least one other person. psyclist did this for me this year👍 I'll be setting riders off from Manningtree and then running the Great Chishill control before returning to Manningtree to run the arrivée.

Job 1) Hand out brevet cards at the start. psyclist did this for me and also rode

Job 2) Collect brevet cards from riders and post cards back to me. Could be done as simply as leaving a collection box in a Buntingford pub for riders to deposit their cards and then collecting the cards at 10pm. Could potential be done by same person as Job 1.

(I want to avoid a postal finish as it's a faff waiting for riders to actually post back their brevet cards over Easter. And it's PBP year!)

I don't need a firm commitment at the moment but just an idea if I have some potential help 🙂
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/