Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526184 times)

felstedrider

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5500 on: 20 December, 2022, 09:46:19 am »
So we have had an expert work out what apple trees we have in the orchard at home - been there for a long long time. Apparently they might be a Seabrook variety called ACME; not surprising, I suppose, considering I invented the club before I was born…
I'm thinking there's scope for some sort of Pagan type ritual.  Tomsk presides over proceedings, blesses the trees etc.  The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny leads a procession around the orchard.  BFC conducts a ceremonial pruning.  The Bard addresses the throng with wise but witty words.  The possibilities are endless...
Just add the cider tribute and it all sounds like wassailing to me (the orchard variety). 
Usually done around epiphany  ::-)  though adherence to the pre-gregorian epiphany is also possible (aka old-twelvety, apparently)

Lincoln CTC used to do a wassailing ride to Brandy Wharf cider centre every January.   Not that I condone this these days but we often had to phone round on Monday morning to work out how everyone got home.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5501 on: 20 December, 2022, 09:58:53 am »
So we have had an expert work out what apple trees we have in the orchard at home - been there for a long long time. Apparently they might be a Seabrook variety called ACME; not surprising, I suppose, considering I invented the club before I was born…
I'm thinking there's scope for some sort of Pagan type ritual.  Tomsk presides over proceedings, blesses the trees etc.  The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny leads a procession around the orchard.  BFC conducts a ceremonial pruning.  The Bard addresses the throng with wise but witty words.  The possibilities are endless...
Just add the cider tribute and it all sounds like wassailing to me (the orchard variety). 
Usually done around epiphany  ::-)  though adherence to the pre-gregorian epiphany is also possible (aka old-twelvety, apparently)

Epiphany! We're good at that!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5502 on: 20 December, 2022, 05:39:02 pm »
Wassailing! More good ideas please! I remember Oscar's Dad's nocturnal mystery tour of Essex, back in the Witham Cycling days ...

I ought to think of cycling stuff to do during 'Betweenmas' to work off the Christmas excesses ... maybe a group permanent, I'll get my thinking cap on. 2 x 100kms last time and 200s in previous (pre-covid) years, are we up for something like that? My last day of gardening is Thursday, then off until early in the New Year.

« Reply #5503 on: 20 December, 2022, 07:50:26 pm »
I ought to think of cycling stuff to do during 'Betweenmas' to work off the Christmas excesses ... maybe a group permanent, I'll get my thinking cap on. 2 x 100kms last time and 200s in previous (pre-covid) years, are we up for something like that? My last day of gardening is Thursday, then off until early in the New Year.

I would be up for a ride in that twilight period between Xmas and New Year or possibly Xmas Eve.  I haven’t done any decent mileage since the end of August due to family and bike issues so I really need a bit of a challenge to get me motivated and moving again.

« Reply #5504 on: 20 December, 2022, 08:59:08 pm »
I’d be good for an in-between ride or two.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5505 on: 23 December, 2022, 09:54:51 am »
ACME Betweenmas 200km thread started over in 'Audax'.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5506 on: 27 December, 2022, 08:32:53 am »
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All!  :thumbsup:

'Bricks and Moretaine' 200km permanent is good to go on Thursday, leaving 08:00. We may meet others at the start: Paradise café in Dunmow, or at the first control, Spoke near Codicote.

« Reply #5507 on: 31 December, 2022, 07:36:34 pm »
Hello,

What does this warning triangle next to The Horsepower 200 mean?

« Reply #5508 on: 31 December, 2022, 08:38:36 pm »
Hello,

What does this warning triangle next to The Horsepower 200 mean?

This is a new event - that is, it was not listed in the Audax UK hardcopy Calendar” is shown in red if you select it.

« Reply #5509 on: 31 December, 2022, 10:37:37 pm »
Thanks, Phil!

Doesn't say anything if I click on it.

Happy New Year! :thumbsup:

« Reply #5510 on: 01 January, 2023, 12:39:24 pm »
Some new year good news.

The Viper at Mill Green re-opened November 2022.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5511 on: 14 January, 2023, 12:37:53 pm »
Could be time for an ACME PBP thread over in Audax? Grey Sheep and I are in the 90 hour, 18:00 start.

felstedrider

« Reply #5512 on: 15 January, 2023, 07:11:41 pm »
Could be time for an ACME PBP thread over in Audax? Grey Sheep and I are in the 90 hour, 18:00 start.

I’m in the first Touriste Group at 17:30.  I’m a bit down on miles but I have plans.

« Reply #5513 on: 16 January, 2023, 10:14:12 am »
Should I be worried about getting a place on PBP, I'm down to ECE The Oyster on the 28th, when entries open for the 600's.
Should I give it a miss and stay home to register ?

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

felstedrider

« Reply #5514 on: 16 January, 2023, 10:24:06 am »
Should I be worried about getting a place on PBP, I'm down to ECE The Oyster on the 28th, when entries open for the 600's.

Owen

I wouldn't be worried about getting a place, but the earlier you log on the more choice of start group you will have.

It will speed your process a bit if you set your account up beforehand.   I still had one from 2019 but a lot of info was out of date.

« Reply #5515 on: 16 January, 2023, 10:35:37 am »
Cheers Rob.

I have looked on their website and can only find this page to register https://myaccount.audax-club-parisien.com/?page=pbp/part_accueil&orga=pbp 

As I haven't got a code for the 1000, I cant progress
Owen

« Reply #5516 on: 16 January, 2023, 11:02:35 am »
Cheers Rob.

I have looked on their website and can only find this page to register https://myaccount.audax-club-parisien.com/?page=pbp/part_accueil&orga=pbp 

As I haven't got a code for the 1000, I cant progress
Owen

Just put the code for your longest BRM last year and then it will let you set up your account although you can’t actually preregister yet. That worked for me and my longest BRM last year was a 300.

« Reply #5517 on: 16 January, 2023, 11:07:05 am »

Owen

Never give a ride a miss to sit in front of a computer.   There will still be a shed load of places available when you get back and servers won’t be crashing like they will when they first open for 600 pre qualifiers.

« Reply #5518 on: 16 January, 2023, 11:25:39 am »
Thanks all.
I have managed to set up an account which should make the pre-register easier.
I will ride. I may even try and persuade my better half to try and register for me while I'm out riding.
For club I used 160688 ( ACME ) I hope that's right.

Owen

felstedrider

« Reply #5519 on: 16 January, 2023, 11:29:50 am »
Thanks all.
I have managed to set up an account which should make the pre-register easier.
I will ride. I may even try and persuade my better half to try and register for me while I'm out riding.
For club I used 160688 ( ACME ) I hope that's right.

Owen

Tomsk confirmed that was the right one.   I managed to find 2 and I think I chose the wrong one.   I'll fix it later on.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5520 on: 19 January, 2023, 08:21:53 am »
Hurrah for Marathon Winters! Jibers, BFC and I had a lovely starlit expedition to the Cats on our different routes, with no dramas on the icy bits. Fuller Street to Terling was the worst section on my outbound route, with re-frozen, polished slush, some more powdery stuff and a little black ice here and there. The roads were quieter than usual ...

The pub was fairly busy by their standards, but we had the front room (and the blazing wood-burner) to ourselves. Pre-pandemic beer prices too (tho it was Gr**n* K!ng of course).

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5521 on: 19 January, 2023, 12:53:06 pm »
Yes fab night - I was brave enough to take to the lanes on the return, which was confidence inspiring :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5522 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:56:28 pm »
ACME people! Do any of you understand football? After the Kelvedon Oyster, I am considering getting the train from Colchester [because ECE and bus replacement from Bishop's Stortford] to Ipswich and thence to Cambridge. Ipswich football website for Sat 28 Jan says "Burnley H 15.00". I assume this means Ipswich are playing against Burnley at home in Ipswich. But I have no idea what this means for when they will finish - any guesses?

The last audax I got a train home from was at Manningtree after Green and Yellow Fields. I inadvertently got on a train at Ipswich that became full to brim of football - I think I must have got it spectacularly wrong on that occasion, as half of the football were Ipswich and half were Cambridge. It was a dreadful experience that I would very much like to avoid! Guidance (or reassurance!) would be very welcome...

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5523 on: 24 January, 2023, 09:07:52 am »
Ipswich football website for Sat 28 Jan says "Burnley H 15.00". I assume this means Ipswich are playing against Burnley at home in Ipswich. But I have no idea what this means for when they will finish - any guesses?

It does mean that - so a 15:00 kick off would mean people leaving the ground between about 16:50 and 17:05 depending on stoppage time in the match. A quick search suggests that Portman Road is very close to Ipswich station, so I'd guess that any trains from or just before 5pm will be busy. From experience of other grounds, most people will head home straight away, but there will be a steady stream of people who have stayed out for a post match drink using the trains over the next few hours.

Hopefully someone with a bit more local knowledge of Ipswich will be on to correct any of the above.

« Reply #5524 on: 24 January, 2023, 12:30:16 pm »
ACME people! Do any of you understand football? After the Kelvedon Oyster, I am considering getting the train from Colchester [because ECE and bus replacement from Bishop's Stortford] to Ipswich and thence to Cambridge. Ipswich football website for Sat 28 Jan says "Burnley H 15.00". I assume this means Ipswich are playing against Burnley at home in Ipswich. But I have no idea what this means for when they will finish - any guesses?

Adding to what Bernster said, it looks as though trains to Cambridge are hourly on Saturday evening.  Not sure how many fans will be aiming for those trains but I would say the 17:21 departure will be very busy, the 18:21 fairly busy with those who had a quick post match pint and after that will be pretty normal.  You last experience may have been a bit abnormal due to having both home and away fans heading for the same train and it being a big local derby.