General Category > Freewheeling

Raleigh Record Sprint project

(1/4) > >>

andyoxon:
I'm about to start building up this frame.  Raleigh Record Sprint 23.5" (60cm).  501 DB tubing.  Frame weight: ~3.2Kg (minus BB).  Original 1980s ots bike weight: ~11.3kg.

PXL_RRS-L by a oxon, on Flickr

Not going to be a sympathetic restoration - no gold.  ;)  Drivetrain components mainly 105 10 speed - mix of new/ ebayed/ store cupboard stuff.    Mostly silver components, with white bar tape,  black rims/spokes/hubs.  Going with 28mm amber Paselas, then find mudguards to fit - possibly end up with Raceblade Long2s.  I cold set the frame to 130mm oln.

Other day I thought, 'wot no brake outer frame guides', until I realised there are 2 TT frame slots to thread outer through.

Initial aesthetics query...

Frame paint in good nick. So... remove TT & ST raleigh decal, and keep only DT "Raleigh"?  Or, remove only TT degraded "Record" sticker?  OR don't touch any decal?  Decal looks like it just peels off.
Anyone know exact RRS model?  (Mark I/II/III)

Ideas / general overall thoughts?

trundle:
I personally love a bike with a bit of patina - so I'm inclined to leave the labels as is.

I had one in the late 80's - bit it didn't have that fancy gold chrome/red on the frame. It was purely gold and black.

This might be a helpful thread elsewhere in terms of figuring out which mark.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-record-sprint-or-not-a-sprint.231829/

andyoxon:
Thanks.  Probably leave the decal as is for now.  I've had a look at online catalogs/serial number info, but can't pin down the date for this particular model.  ST sticker has 8 digit no.  beginning 00, and BB shell has a different 5-digit number stamp beginning with 7....  No letters.   There were quite a few variations it seems.  I suspect this one may have been later with double butted tubing and top tube 'internal cabling'.  Discovered my Zefal HpX pump frame fits well, along the seat tube. 

I've had the frame for years (from relative) so interested to see how it will ride compared to my 531 machine:  74° head angle compared to 72° etc.  I deliberately went for 105 10sp kit so that I can, if needed, use components for the other (531) bike.

ETA.  Found another frame number.  Bottom of the ST, 7 digits - no letters.   So three different codes, and counting...
ETA1.  Frame probably ca. 1988*-90.  Diff model in 1987, and 1991 Catalogs.  Guessing '91 was last yr of production.
ETA2.  Record Sprint 12.  1988*.

hubner:
I don't like old frames with new paint, it makes them look like new, in the sense it looks just like anything else you can buy new. Plus it's not original.

Obviously, if the original paint is in really bad condition and the frame is rusty, then a respray is OK.

Just my opinion.

andyoxon:
It's an old frame with original paint - in relatively good condition, but a few scratches/scrapes here and there on closer inspection.  :)   My well used 1991 531 bike frame paint isn't in great condition, but I found that a Halfords car paint repair black & silver mix, gives an almost perfect match.  So perhaps similar to some paintings - nice from far, but far from nice.   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version