Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814931 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #550 on: 18 May, 2008, 05:56:44 pm »
Car park.  Penny farthing.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #551 on: 18 May, 2008, 06:08:32 pm »
75.5 miles to York and back. I am disappointed it wasn't further.

Why? Don't you like York?

annie

« Reply #552 on: 18 May, 2008, 06:21:11 pm »

Blimey, given that a few months ago you weren't even walking I think you ought to be very proud of yourself.  I for one think that is a great distance. :-*

« Reply #553 on: 18 May, 2008, 06:26:47 pm »

Yes, I like York, that's why I went there. I estimated the ride would be 80-85, I don't use a computer, my estimate was based on it being 37 miles as I used to drive on the motorway to work there. The back roads are clearly shorter. I wanted to extend my range, two weeks ago I did 85 miles but I had more stops and company that time.

« Reply #554 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:10:06 pm »

Blimey, given that a few months ago you weren't even walking I think you ought to be very proud of yourself.  I for one think that is a great distance. :-*

I have only been on the road for 2 months since I started this comeback. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #555 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:40:20 pm »
We had a nice ride yesterday. Through leafy Lytham and then north via quaint villages to Pilling. We were enjoying a pint in the pub when five blokes arrived. They had been to look at a van somewhere and were on a kind of crazy zig zagging pub crawl back to Blackburn. (By car that is). They were a bit drunk but they were fascinated by how far we were cycling, why we did it and eventually they had to see the bikes before we left. It was all quite refreshing really.

A bit of a miserable ride back in the drizzle but on the whole a nice 'first proper ride' in our new surroundings.

Today we volunteered to marshall at the St. Annes Triathlon so no proper riding but lots of bike p*rn.

vince

« Reply #556 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:56:44 pm »
Yes, courtesy of East Midlands Trains  ::-)

I was trying to get back from Cambridge after the fnrttc, but the train stopped at Derby for engineering works so I had an extra 25 miles to ride back to chesterfield. At least I realised this last night, so I was able to wash my cycling kit from Friday night to wear today.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #557 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:58:16 pm »
40 miles today along the canal path. Had to stop for a pee in some bushes. First to guess where I got nettle rash wins - absolutely nothing but the satisfaction of being right.

This thread is useless without pictures ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #558 on: 18 May, 2008, 08:01:32 pm »
We went out to Richmond Park along the river (picnic in Wandsworth Park), and did a circuit - partly on the track, partly on the road.  Not very fast, but a lot of fun.  We took a friend who hasn't been on a bike in a while, and she managed to do the whole round trip of 24 miles at a respectable pace. :thumbsup:

We did nearly get killed by a classic left hook at Earlsfield >:(

Aren't cantilever brakes wonderful things? :D
Getting there...

« Reply #559 on: 18 May, 2008, 08:01:51 pm »
13 miles in over 2 hours - accompanying my 9 year old daughter and her friend on a charity bikeathon.

yesterday's 46 miler in the peaks with the club was slightly more challenging…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #560 on: 18 May, 2008, 08:03:27 pm »

Yes, I like York, that's why I went there. I estimated the ride would be 80-85, I don't use a computer, my estimate was based on it being 37 miles as I used to drive on the motorway to work there. The back roads are clearly shorter. I wanted to extend my range, two weeks ago I did 85 miles but I had more stops and company that time.

Sorry missed a :)! I like York too, just don't get there often enough :(

« Reply #561 on: 18 May, 2008, 08:22:03 pm »
Yes; about 60 Mi at 16.5 Mi/h average. Left Nottingham and headed for Derby, up the A6, then onto B road at Duffield and later off to climb to Kirk Ireton, Wirksworth, down to Cromford via the Via Gellia, across and up to Crich again before a bit of A6 and some lumpy  ::-) secondary roads back into to Spondon, then Long Eaton and Nottingham. It was hilly! It was bit cool in some areas, and windy too. But it was good...  :thumbsup: No stop naturally. ;) Good, capable impressive company: Cheers guys. The BBQ was much better after that!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gordon taylor

« Reply #562 on: 18 May, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
Fifty-seven miles in eight hours with some nice people from the Tricycle Association around Sherwood Forest. Half the route was off road and we had lots of food stops and puncture stops. I'm whacked, that's the hardest fifty-seven miles I've ever done!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #563 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:13:15 am »
Got back half an hour ago after only 35 mins in the saddle :'(

Gormless here thought he would get away with fingerless gloves.  Maybe the frost on the windscreens should have given me a clue.  ::-)

« Reply #564 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:43:03 am »
Got back half an hour ago after only 35 mins in the saddle :'(

Gormless here thought he would get away with fingerless gloves.  Maybe the frost on the windscreens should have given me a clue.  ::-)

Yikes, I'm just impressed that you've been out, and posted about it, at this time! (assuming you're in the UK)

It looks like it's about 5ºC outside in London, which is colder than it has been for a while, but probably not cold enough to stop me wearing my shorts and mitts for my commute.  It's sunny out, so it'll soon warm up!
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #565 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:43:42 am »
Ow.  But well done on lasting 35 minutes

It's warmer here, in the sunny south, but I remember doing a ride in October a couple of years ago with Martin Lucas.  I rode from home to met him near Marlborough and luckily I turned back at the end of our road to get long gloves.   Martin rode from Hungerford without, and was not at all happy.  We had to share gloves - taking turns - until it warmed up :)

alan

« Reply #566 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:14:41 pm »
Yes
A round trip on the Manifold Trail, Waterhouse-Hulme End-Waterhouses.
28km on the fixie.Uphill on the fixie is a weird experience as it develops an inertia not available on a geared bike.On the way back I was doing 20kmh uphills on which I only did 17kmh dowhill from the start ???

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #567 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »
Yes
A round trip on the Manifold Trail, Waterhouse-Hulme End-Waterhouses.
28km on the fixie.Uphill on the fixie is a weird experience as it develops an inertia not available on a geared bike.On the way back I was doing 20kmh uphills on which I only did 17kmh dowhill from the start ???
You haven't mounted your computer upside down again have you Alan?  ;D

« Reply #568 on: 19 May, 2008, 07:00:36 pm »
Just got home from commute - 41 km there and back in 1 hour 42 minutes - well pleased with that, not the flattest of rides crossing Bristol !

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #569 on: 19 May, 2008, 08:16:58 pm »
An 11 mile commute. Not too bad!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #570 on: 20 May, 2008, 06:52:11 am »
Oh well, just had a nice litte canter over Epsom downs & Tadworth etc.  Very nice too but a bit chilly. 26.7 miles.

It's a nice feeling getting up hills which I previously thought insurmountable.  My heart rate still felt like 220 plus age though.

Then again a year ago I used to call railway bridges 'hills'  :o

vince

« Reply #571 on: 20 May, 2008, 07:37:40 am »
Last night I went up to Beeley Moor, through the Peak Forest into Darley Dale, up through Wensley into Winster and dropped down into Grangemill, up to Longliffe, before a fast run down to Tissington ford and then Fenny Bentley to Ashbourne. 23 miles and really rather hilly.

All good practice I guess and quite scenic.

My Bike Journal tally is about 240 miles this month. Not much for some I know, but it feels like I'm getting my groove back 8)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #572 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:03:27 pm »
To new workplace & back on the Woodrup; up to Wandsworth Common with a picnic on the Orbit; later, Clapham Junction shopping.

Ain't bicycles wonderful things! :)
Getting there...

« Reply #573 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:38:38 pm »
A bit chilly today with some sun and 105km to the Compasses, Littley Green, via Paper Mill Lock, at Lt/Gt. Baddow. One of my favourite rides.
The Compasses appears to have a new owner/landlord, unless it's just a change of bar staff. No more HH Olde Trippe! But a rather nice Adnams IPA, out of the pumps at the back, and a very dark brew. Still doing huffers. Woohoo!  :thumbsup:

Edit: I have been having problems with seventh on the rear block. LBS said to work it so I did and have been changing up to it when possible. Positively flew down North Hill, fastest I've been down it, 56.8kmh.  ;D I had to brake as I caught up the bike in front.

« Reply #574 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:36:35 am »
I've managed a clipless commute, there and back.

It is slightly less fun than the longer rides, because there are lots of iffy situations where I have to clip out just in case (ie crossing from New Bond St/Old Bond st on the little bit of path that lets cyclists go straight ahead, pedestrians like to jump on there in front of you) but I think I will get used to it.