Author Topic: Extending my virgin cable links.  (Read 782 times)

Extending my virgin cable links.
« on: 25 February, 2012, 10:42:41 am »
I want to move the whole tv broadband box gubbins along with the tv. The cable service comes into the house at a fixed point and then via a splitter to the tv box and the broadband stuff. It looks like fairly standard coax cable that I could just replace with longer lengths- but is it? Or do I need to get something special?
Thanks!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Extending my virgin cable links.
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:45:46 am »
Ask Virgin for a longer cable. When they installed ours I said that I wanted the router in XX location so they gave me a 10m coax cable. It does have very precisely manufactured fittings and a home job may not be up to standard.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2012, 02:34:28 pm »
It is 75 ohm coax, so something like ct100 with screw on F connectors works fine unless you have low signal, in which case the Virgin option is probably wise.

« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »
I got some cheap things from currys of all places, although of course I couldn't get proper hifi stuff to do the huge extension to the turntable lead to feed into the nest!
Still, I learned what an F plug is and the WiFi seems to have back to life as well as the tv. Hurrah. Think I'd like some virgin sponsored kit later though as wot I got seems well flimsy compared to what I had.
Thanks.