Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 78630 times)

Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #250 on: 08 April, 2020, 01:31:40 pm »
"Scratter" ?  I looked that up and it says apple mulching device.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #251 on: 08 April, 2020, 02:09:39 pm »
Presumably a scrumpy drinker, then.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #252 on: 08 April, 2020, 03:37:52 pm »
Things are getting awful, now without the gardeners, I was just forced to mow the lawn (one slow worm had a lucky escape, and no dear wife, I'm not mowing around each primrose).

And on Sunday, as the cleaner is also on hiatus, I had to vacuum. I quite enjoyed this, the new vacuum cleaner has little headlights so you can pretend you're driving a little car around the house.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #253 on: 08 April, 2020, 05:36:20 pm »
Our gardener showed up unexpectedly today!
He says he is permitted to work, so long as he's on his own.

He's been beavering away all on his lonesome for hours.

That's just as well, because the lawnmower was glowering at me from under a pile-o-crap in the garage.
I really wasn't looking forward to the full upper-body workout that getting the damn thing to start would entail.

ian

« Reply #254 on: 08 April, 2020, 06:09:47 pm »
It took me a small age to find the battery for the lawnmower and the strimmer, then another small age to find the chargers for those batteries.

Electric lawnmowers is the bees-knees, no wires. Given it's quite old and ununsed for a while, I was a bit surprised the battery lasted for the epic session (it needed mowing about, erm, three weeks ago). I only did it because it was starting to look like my wife's hair.

I kind of wish my mouth hadn't said that though, she's getting tetchy about it. It's not like we're going out anywhere.

Our gardeners turn up mob-handed. Or at the moment, it seems, don't turn up. Not that they've told us.

« Reply #255 on: 08 April, 2020, 07:41:55 pm »
Spent three weeks eating pies and getting fatter instead of cycling, gotta get back out there and cycling instead of moping and procrastinating... know the feeling?
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #256 on: 08 April, 2020, 08:54:19 pm »
Woohoo! Tesco delivery this afternoon!
A friend of ours got a serendipitous delivery slot which she shared with us to allowed a top up on low running essentials...
Quite a rigmarole involving leaving bags on the driveway and sundry other measures, but it all worked out OK.
Still no bread flour or any flour at all for that matter but I still have a couple of week's supply (just).
Here's hoping..

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #257 on: 09 April, 2020, 08:03:42 am »
Our new exercise bike arrives today... :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #258 on: 09 April, 2020, 08:28:48 am »
Woohoo! Tesco delivery this afternoon!
A friend of ours got a serendipitous delivery slot which she shared with us to allowed a top up on low running essentials...
Quite a rigmarole involving leaving bags on the driveway and sundry other measures, but it all worked out OK.
Still no bread flour or any flour at all for that matter but I still have a couple of week's supply (just).
Here's hoping..

The whole flour thing is amazing with so many people presumably trying their hand at baking.   We've only bought the odd "speciality" loaf since about 2005, being now on our second Panasonic bread machine.   We managed to get a couple of the usual 1.5kg bags delivered the other day and my wife has now ordered a larger than normal bag sack direct from a mill.

Rob

« Reply #259 on: 09 April, 2020, 09:09:30 am »
Spent three weeks eating pies and getting fatter instead of cycling, gotta get back out there and cycling instead of moping and procrastinating... know the feeling?

Oh yes. :-[

« Reply #260 on: 09 April, 2020, 11:04:15 am »
A near miss from a tennis ball on my shopping trip.

Couple had propped their bikes together as an impromptu net (in the middle of the road) and were playing tennis when I passed.  The ball just missed my head altho' I would have been fine otherwise as I was wearing a helmet. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #261 on: 09 April, 2020, 03:23:18 pm »
The whole flour thing is amazing with so many people presumably trying their hand at baking.

I think I already mentioned this elsewhere, but apparently the problem with bread flour is that all the main producers are mainly geared up to supplying wholesale (that being by far the majority of their custom in normal times) so they don't have the machinery to produce enough bags in retail-friendly sizes to keep up with the increased demand. It's this rather than panic buying/stockpiling that are causing the empty shelves.

If you're happy to have a 25kg sack, you'll be fine. (Although my usual online supplier is completely out of stock of 16kg sacks.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #262 on: 09 April, 2020, 03:25:58 pm »
Just had a notification that Infinite Jest is today's kindle deal of the day, on offer for 99p. Great - that should keep me going all the way through to the other side of lockdown, no matter how long it ends up lasting...

« Reply #263 on: 09 April, 2020, 03:44:29 pm »
A stat I heard on the radio somewhere over the last couple of days was that only 4% of flour production in this country gets to the end user through a shop's shelving.  Clearly then we had enough flour ...
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #264 on: 09 April, 2020, 04:04:01 pm »
Just had a notification that Infinite Jest is today's kindle deal of the day, on offer for 99p. Great - that should keep me going all the way through to the other side of lockdown, no matter how long it ends up lasting...

Better lay in a can of Lemon Pledge for reading in the garden.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #265 on: 09 April, 2020, 04:27:36 pm »
MrsC had one of those 'you are at high risk, self-isolate for 12 weeks' letters this morning, which was a bit of a shock.
More careful reading and checking other correspondence shows that this was because she used to suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, so had a compromised immune system. She has been off those drugs for years and has another letter from the local hospital to say that's she's OK, but still not what you want to read.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

« Reply #266 on: 09 April, 2020, 05:58:51 pm »

Will I get this reference when I've read the book?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #267 on: 09 April, 2020, 06:19:50 pm »
MrsC had one of those 'you are at high risk, self-isolate for 12 weeks' letters this morning, which was a bit of a shock.
More careful reading and checking other correspondence shows that this was because she used to suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, so had a compromised immune system. She has been off those drugs for years and has another letter from the local hospital to say that's she's OK, but still not what you want to read.

I had my letter this morning.

I found myself in a "Catch-22" in that my letter told me to stay at home for 12 weeks and only to open a window if I was feeling lucky, punk, but also that, because I'm being prescribed methotrexate, I need a blood test. My last test was on 27th December and I am supposed to have one every 3 months. So it's overdue.

I phoned the rheumatology department and, unusually, had my call answered without the need to leave a message. The woman I spoke to looked me up on the computer and said "You're relatively low risk because you are only on one immunosuppressant." I then told her that I had unilaterally decided 5 weeks ago that I would stop taking methotrexate as it seemed to me that having a fully functioning immune system might come in handy in the face of this nasty virus, and I hadn't had any arthritic pain to speak of for several years. I did mention that we are shielding my son, who is definitely high-risk, being a kidney transplant patient, and as an obese old git with hight blood pressure, I've been taking a nice quiet 10-mile rural bike ride every couple of days. She said carry on with the bike rides, so I've been out for one. Lovely out there!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #268 on: 09 April, 2020, 06:28:52 pm »

Will I get this reference when I've read the book?

Yes. It doesn't work though.

Or so I'm told. I only read the books with the small words to avoid inadvertent learnin'

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #269 on: 09 April, 2020, 09:02:22 pm »
Very much so.
Garden is looking fantastic, which is going to be of zero help when I'm on my knees 50 into the 200 I very much want to do this year. No particular 200, it's just the distance I want to be back up to before winter.  So why the hell am I unable to motivate myself to take advantage of all the time off I have and the quiet roads?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #270 on: 10 April, 2020, 10:31:22 am »
This is, in the literal sense, a tale from the lockdown...

A flash fiction* web site that I enjoy reading ran a little challenge last weekend for people to produce 500-word stream of consciousness pieces in response to Corona. I was delighted when mine was chosen for publication. If you fancy a 2 minute read, here it is (along with 9 other stories).

https://cabinetofheed.com/2020/04/08/stream-of-consciousness-drawer-two/

*stories of 1,000 or fewer words
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #271 on: 10 April, 2020, 12:12:06 pm »
Phone call from Crapita this morning. Had a nice conversation with the lady at the other end about what a <insert appropriate expletive here> time it was and what it was like to work for Crapita and under the HSE and GMC - a meeting of minds.
Then did some questions and answers and tried to decide how to fit proper answers into tickboxes and still produce a meaningful result!
Asked to see passport (British passport) and then asked to prove right to work in the UK. Eeeerm, just shown you a valid UK passport with no restrictions....?
Asked to sign and email a letter to state that I was honest - discussed how on earth a self declaration of honesty could possibly hold water.
I wonder if I will be dragged off as cannon fodder...
At least they won't dock my pension if  do go back to work.]
There is, however, a thinly veiled threat in the letter from the GMC that despite any extenuating circumstances, they will prosecute if they think you aren't perfect.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #272 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:20:39 pm »
This is, in the literal sense, a tale from the lockdown...

A flash fiction* web site that I enjoy reading ran a little challenge last weekend for people to produce 500-word stream of consciousness pieces in response to Corona. I was delighted when mine was chosen for publication. If you fancy a 2 minute read, here it is (along with 9 other stories).

https://cabinetofheed.com/2020/04/08/stream-of-consciousness-drawer-two/

*stories of 1,000 or fewer words

Very good! My stepdad has been growing a beard, I commented on this on his FB last night. He won't see the funny side if I send this to him, but I may send it to my mum *grin*.

« Reply #273 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:29:29 pm »
E Minor is a member of a circus group that, among other things, gives organised lessons for kids. As they are unable to work live, they made a video for Bangor University's arts centre.

« Reply #274 on: 10 April, 2020, 05:09:39 pm »
So why the hell am I unable to motivate myself to take advantage of all the time off I have and the quiet roads?

This. On the plus side, I'm finally getting round to doing some bits of painting that have needed doing for ages... :-\