Author Topic: what 3 words  (Read 60069 times)

Re: what 3 words
« Reply #275 on: 01 April, 2022, 06:00:30 pm »
Surely on most phones location is differentially configurable by app? So you can allow the camera to record location while denying it to others, if you so want. Though your phone surely knows where it is all the time, as long as it's receiving a signal, so I'm not sure how much security you're getting yourself anyway.

You turn location off, the phone doesn’t know where it is.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #276 on: 01 April, 2022, 06:01:08 pm »
I thought it was about google, facebook, apple and similar datamongers rather than the camera.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #277 on: 01 April, 2022, 06:19:38 pm »
The security isn't so much that you don't trust the camera app, but that you don't want to inadvertently share your location by forgetting to redact the EXIF data from some otherwise non-location-revealing photo before sharing it.

This is why I remove EXIF, or have it turned off.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #278 on: 01 April, 2022, 08:26:58 pm »
But do you trust the What3words app? Is it selling your location data to Facebook/Google/Apple/Russia?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #279 on: 01 April, 2022, 08:56:59 pm »
I don't trust it, so I don't have it.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #280 on: 01 April, 2022, 10:19:06 pm »
Am playing a new game with What 3 Words - to see if there are any appropriate locations, for example - wouldn't it be great if "Light" "My" "Fire" gave you the position of Jim Morrison's grave in Paris.

No great ones so far, but there is a Broke Bottom Brackets location in the Copperbelt of Zambia, sadly too far from any road to be navigable.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #281 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:10:56 pm »
The security isn't so much that you don't trust the camera app, but that you don't want to inadvertently share your location by forgetting to redact the EXIF data from some otherwise non-location-revealing photo before sharing it.

What Kim said.

If I want to tweet a photo from somewhere, I don't want to give away that location.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #282 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:15:16 pm »

What Kim said.

If I want to tweet a photo from somewhere, I don't want to give away that location.

J

Sorry for possibly being dim, but why not? What's the point in sharing a photo without revealing its location?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #283 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:16:07 pm »
Sorry for possibly being dim, but why not? What's the point in sharing a photo without revealing its location?

"Hey, YACF:  Here's a photo of the widget on my $expensive_new_ebike ..is the metal bit supposed to be loose like that?"

AKA: "Badly locked $expensive_new_ebike at these coordinates"

Or just letting your abusive family / stalker /etc  know where you live now because it's in the EXIF of all the in-progress photos of the art project you've been working on.

Personally, I'd like a geofence option.  If I'm on a cycle tour or collecting evidence of fly-tipping or water leaks or something, the EXIF location data is useful.  But if I'm at home, it probably isn't.

« Reply #284 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:18:10 pm »

What Kim said.

J
Twitter / Facebook strip all of the EXIF data from the photo anyway. So it is not giving away the location (unless you add a location tag to your post).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #285 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:26:22 pm »
Twitter / Facebook strip all of the EXIF data from the photo anyway. So it is not giving away the location (unless you add a location tag to your post).

Does every system? Telegram? Discord? Signal? Mattermost? Slack?

This is Spook the racoon stealing my cider.

You don't need to know the lat and long coordinates of my sofa. Noone does.

J
--

« Reply #286 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:43:05 pm »

For most of those, probably yes.
If you are using some obscure system for sharing photos, I'm sure you can figure out how to strip the EXIF data yourself.

Most photos could be improved with a bit of editing/cropping etc, or at least reducing the resolution before sharing. So pretty simple to remove tags as part of that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #287 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:52:54 pm »
For most of those, probably yes.
If you are using some obscure system for sharing photos, I'm sure you can figure out how to strip the EXIF data yourself.

Most photos could be improved with a bit of editing/cropping etc, or at least reducing the resolution before sharing. So pretty simple to remove tags as part of that.

That's waaaaaay too much effort. I just turn off the geolocation by default.

J
--

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #288 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:57:56 pm »

[redacted]

J

I remove the location data from Mrs P's Flickr postings of our house/garden/cats.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #289 on: 02 April, 2022, 12:27:51 am »

[redacted]

J

I remove the location data from Mrs P's Flickr postings of our house/garden/cats.

Yeah. But we still know that you live in the Northern Hemisphere. So there.

« Reply #290 on: 02 April, 2022, 09:11:35 am »

What Kim said.

J

The idea that it’s desirable or even necessary to share your location via a photo on Twitter is just plain weird to me. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #291 on: 02 April, 2022, 11:27:22 am »
The idea that it’s desirable or even necessary to share your location via a photo on Twitter is just plain weird to me.

Well quite. There are times where I might post a photo such as the station name board when I've arrived somewhere interesting. A bit like posting a picture of the Eifel Tower with a comment like "Finally made it here!". But that doesn't need a lat and long. The photo does that.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #292 on: 02 April, 2022, 12:16:07 pm »
I have yet to find a situation where adding location to a photo has been useful to me, even when staring at holiday photos wondering "where the fuck was that" however I'm too lazy to bother turning it off, I just tag ridiculous locations.

#InNairn

No wait I am there.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #293 on: 03 April, 2022, 10:49:32 pm »
#InNairn
Not something many people boast about.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #294 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:19:24 pm »
Besides, it is missing two words.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #295 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:20:26 pm »
I once navigated for a chap called Nairn
He was (this was 20 years ago so I'm assuming...) a chain smoker and bloody hilarious.
Owned a tractor dealership so had a few bob, or at least the income to sustain going through 20 packs at the same rate I went through the pages of the roadbook.
The car was the prototype sunbeam alpine Harrington, being British it obviously had a few flaws, like a leaking fuel filler, which was of course on the drivers side.

Anyway that's all irrelevant to what 3 words, it more interesting that nairn has proven to be, just as well I spent most of the time either asleep, cycling or watching Highland league football...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #296 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:20:59 pm »
Besides, it is missing two words.
Bored.In.Nairn

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #297 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:24:26 pm »
Nairn is great!

It's got a beach.

and a roundabout.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #298 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:26:01 pm »
I have driven, walked and/or cycled every roundabout I can find.
I've even taken the Dundonian approach* to 2 of them, the only food place I could find open after 9pm is McDonald's.

* straight over

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #299 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:38:04 pm »
It's the fastest town in the NE.