Author Topic: Online Banking Recommendations - not First Direct  (Read 4153 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Online Banking Recommendations - not First Direct
« Reply #25 on: 18 June, 2020, 08:39:31 pm »
I've gone for Nationwide. Easy online process and i can even transfer my balance over. The one bugbear is that the nearest branch is in Leamington 2.5 miles away, but easily reached. There are very few financials left in Warwick now.

... I believe that one of the, shall we say "prominent"?, members of this forum will be pleased . . . . .  :thumbsup:

Note: If you get a regular payment in, say salary, I think they include quite good travel insurance for free.

Rob
Not free, you have to pay £13 a month for insurance. And it has rules about wearing helmets...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 18 June, 2020, 09:50:11 pm »
We abandoned the Co-op/Smile when the hedge fund managers took over and have been with Nationwide ever since.

I have never had an issue with them on my own account (ha!) but I was going to go to town on them quite royally over their treatment of my Aunt Phyllis when I had power of attorney over her affairs. She was still perfectly capable of doing a lot of stuff for herself: ordering ready meals and the like, but when she enacted the PoA and they send me a debit card for her current account, they automatically stopped hers. I did a lot of research and discovered that they had already been hauled over the coals by the Ombudsman for this discriminatory behaviour (reports in the Telegraph).

The dispute was just hotting up when Phyllis fell over her coffee table, broke her leg, and never again set foot in her bungalow, instead coming to live with us. So the reason or the dispute disappeared and I was too busy dealing with her affairs and selling her bungalow that it became low priority.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 18 June, 2020, 10:46:48 pm »
HSBC. I think I shouldn't like them...

Let’s not forget that First Direct are HSBC by another name.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #28 on: 19 June, 2020, 07:38:18 am »
I've been with FD since Adam was a lad and never had a problem, but for reasons lost in the mists of time I now do most of my banking with Nationwide.
Both 'just work' although I prefer the NW interface overall.
When Mrs M's mother died some years ago dealing with NW was the easiest and most compassionate organisation of all of them.

Branches are a dying thing. As soon as we're all able to photograph a cheque to pay it in, then yet more branches will close. Then they'll discontinue cheques altogether.
I can't remember when I last wrote or received a cheque or went into a bank branch - although Mrs M gets cheques from an elderly friend for her shopping which she pays into her Smile account at the local Post Office.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 19 June, 2020, 10:50:16 am »

Ha, I never knew in the first place.

I can't remember the last time I went to a branch of any bank or saw a cheque. That said, trying to close my Santander account, the easiest solution seems to be to go to a branch. I'm not clear why I can't just close it online and, of course, as it's a defunct savings account running about 0.000000000000000000001% interest, I don't have telephone banking set up (assuming that let's me close an account).

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #30 on: 19 June, 2020, 11:43:08 am »
...Most of our other accounts are with Nationwide. I like them except:
a) their credit card is not very good at alerting you when there's a problem. (I.e. you don't get a heads up they've stopped your account)
I had a Nationwide credit card issue 18 months ago, some website which I had used to purchase had been hacked and scammers got busy, got an alert, found Nwide fraud team spot on, efficient, helpful.  Stopped the bad 'uns, got a new card within 48 hours.  Tick.  Also been a 1stD customer for decades, all fine.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #31 on: 19 June, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »
As someone who has fallen into working in this field totally by accident I have one piece of advice for right now. That is: Avoid all of the incumbents. They are not in the slightest bit interested in looking after your money right now, but trying to keep up with the Joneses in the shape of the new challenger banks (Monzo, Starling etc). That is not to say that you should trust those either (a good number have significant investment by domestic and foreign banks so lack true independence).

Personally, unless you are forced to change (work or other reasons) stick with the devil you know.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 19 June, 2020, 01:31:57 pm »

I can't remember the last time I went to a branch of any bank or saw a cheque. That said, trying to close my Santander account, the easiest solution seems to be to go to a branch. I'm not clear why I can't just close it online and, of course, as it's a defunct savings account running about 0.000000000000000000001% interest, I don't have telephone banking set up (assuming that let's me close an account).
Presumably KYC is easiest by verifying photo ID.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 19 June, 2020, 01:37:40 pm »
Having worked in a large UK banking organisation for 16 years primarily on fraud protection and detection systems and still having many friends there 18 years later, I remain unconvinced as to the absolute security and protection of online banking.  Ever since the internet happened banks have been looking for ways to reduce both costs by closing down high street branches and paper statements but also keep lobbying for the "rules" on liability to be relaxed so that if people get plundered online the onus is on the customer to prove that it's not their fault and to take the loss as if somebody had nicked their wallet or handbag.

Online fraud and scams get ever more complex so until the banks change their mentality I will remain a regular visitor to the high street branch.

As for online spending:  I have one credit card which I use exclusively online.  I am protected to a degree by the CCA but also by the fact that it is the bank's money that goes tits up if a fraud happens in the first instance rather than my current account.  I made a purchase using a debit card once from a cycle retailer who didn't take credit cards.  A few days later my account had been fraudulently used.  It took quite a fight to resolve that and I'm not going there again willingly or soon.

My view is that online banking is convenient for you, for your bank and for fraudsters.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 19 June, 2020, 02:14:44 pm »

You can't close a Barclays online-only account online, no, you have to fill in a mahoosive form and post it to them.  And then they still won't let you close it because they don't have your signature on file because the account in question only became Barclays when they borged ING's online banking so you have to go to a branch to prove who you are and sign more paper.

I gave up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #35 on: 19 June, 2020, 02:48:56 pm »

the account in question only became Barclays when they borged ING's online banking so you have to go to a branch to prove who you are and sign more paper.
I gave up.
I've got one of those - it's got a zero balance and I'd completely forgotten about it until it appeared completely out of the blue on my Barclaycard app.

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #36 on: 19 June, 2020, 03:44:33 pm »
I recently switched to Starling and find it pretty good. You get a notification as soon as you get a payment or have a payment go out which is why I switched to it and it works well.

I haven't switched entirely to Starling, but I've had an account with them pretty much since they started and I've always been very happy with them. Especially when travelling around the rest of Europe.

The only time that my Starling card hasn't worked is in the French motorway tolls (it works fine in the motorway services), where it thinks I'm somewhere else. I keep meaning to contact them about it, but invariably forget when I get home.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #37 on: 19 June, 2020, 04:08:30 pm »
For some strange reason, my dentist insists on payments either by cheque or by cash. It's the only time I ever write a cheque these days, but until they discover the 20th century, let alone the 21st, I'll pay them by cheque.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #38 on: 19 June, 2020, 04:14:08 pm »
I haven't even got a chequebook for my HSBC account.

Fleet send me one for my US account (I think the balance is about $137, yes, you guessed how I can close that. Pop into a branch, sir).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #39 on: 19 June, 2020, 05:52:22 pm »
On the subject of foreign bank accounts, I never closed my Credit Lyonnais account after I left France. No idea if it is still open. I've not used it for over 20 years.

I had a pleasant surprise when I went over for a holiday a couple of years after I'd left - checked my balance with the intention of withdrawing whatever cash was left in there to spend on booze, expecting to find enough for maybe a couple of bottles of middling wine at best, and discovered I had over £800 worth of francs. I must have been paid another month's salary after what I thought had been my final payment. That was a nice bonus. Lucky my bank card was still valid so I could get at it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #40 on: 19 June, 2020, 06:48:19 pm »
I left a few hundred rupees making an Indian bank richer. I think they might have auto-closed it now, ie used it pay some fat Mumbaikar a greasy bonus.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #41 on: 19 June, 2020, 07:06:27 pm »

That said, trying to close my Santander account, the easiest solution seems to be to go to a branch. I'm not clear why I can't just close it online
[/quote]

I closed a Santander acc online recently, used the chat facility.

ian

« Reply #42 on: 19 June, 2020, 08:14:01 pm »
I didn't try that. I figured I'd just go to a branch near the mothership but then some kind of plague thing happened and no one was allowed to go outside without an excuse note. Plus it turned out to be a lot more money than I remembered (which was nice and showed I am demonstrable not on top of my financial affairs) so I have to think of something interesting to do with it. Legal, says my wife, legal!

Yeah, I got #firstworldproblems.

« Reply #43 on: 19 June, 2020, 08:46:04 pm »
I haven't even got a chequebook for my HSBC account.

Fleet send me one for my US account (I think the balance is about $137, yes, you guessed how I can close that. Pop into a branch, sir).

You can ask for one if you want one. Just not a default to send out.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 19 June, 2020, 09:43:39 pm »
I read somewhere that you could write a cheque on the side of a cow. So, if needed, I'm going to do just that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #45 on: 20 June, 2020, 11:29:21 am »
I read somewhere that you could write a cheque on the side of a cow. So, if needed, I'm going to do just that.

It'd be more fun to write it on the side of a BEAR.

« Reply #46 on: 20 June, 2020, 11:00:46 pm »
The only time that my Starling card hasn't worked is in the French motorway tolls (it works fine in the motorway services), where it thinks I'm somewhere else. I keep meaning to contact them about it, but invariably forget when I get home.

Starling disables magstripe transactions by default so you need to enable them in the app (and then it turns them off again a fairly short time - 48 hours according to its Twitter - after last use). Guess what the toll machines use ...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #47 on: 21 June, 2020, 08:22:23 am »
I’m with Bank of Scotland. Which got ruined by Halifax, but I find the online stuff to be ok. I used to post cheques to my branch 321 miles away, but now scan them in the app.

Was with Midland and they made me cross, so I moved to BoS and left £1 in the Midland account. They posted me statements every month for 5 years before eventually I closed the account. That showed ‘em.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #48 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:21:36 am »

Yes, but for the marker pen to show up, you need polar bear. And they're not the ones that live in Surrey. We have the wrong sort of bear for financial transactions.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #49 on: 22 June, 2020, 01:16:55 pm »

Yes, but for the marker pen to show up, you need polar bear. And they're not the ones that live in Surrey. We have the wrong sort of bear for financial transactions.

I'm sure you could use Tippex or appropriately-hued paint or something.  Use your imagination, man!