Author Topic: more insane management speak phrases  (Read 144166 times)

Re: more insane management speak phrases
« Reply #400 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:19:40 pm »
I'm doing a professional qualification at the moment and it seems to me very much that the aim of the exams is to get you spout as much of this bollox many of these phrases as you can.
I actually managed 'triple bottom line' AND 'collaborative synergies' in this week's effort. I did do a little bit of sick as I wrote it, mind.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #401 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:22:00 pm »
Triple bottom line... collaborative synergies... working together... I think this refers to group sex, fboab!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #402 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:33:24 pm »
"Triple bottom line" is sound, as far as I'm concerned.
It is simpler than it looks.

essexian

« Reply #403 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:35:44 pm »
"Transformation through engagement"....................... we plan it...we tell you about it and we listen to what you have to say. Then we take on board what you have to say and make any amendments to our plans as required.

I think.

« Reply #404 on: 22 May, 2015, 08:50:51 pm »
I'm doing a professional qualification at the moment and it seems to me very much that the aim of the exams is to get you spout as much of this bollox many of these phrases as you can.
I actually managed 'triple bottom line' AND 'collaborative synergies' in this week's effort. I did do a little bit of sick as I wrote it, mind.
I've done both project management and enterprise architecture qualifications, and it's explicitly part of those that you use the terminology. No doubt in others as well. Sadly, given that the two often need to work together, their usages are not entirely consistent...

I wouldn't necessarily categorise the terminology in those two fields as management speak, although one or two examples have turned up in this thread.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #405 on: 22 May, 2015, 08:53:12 pm »
Enterprise architecture. To boldly build where no man has built before.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #406 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:15:41 pm »
"Triple bottom line" is sound, as far as I'm concerned.
Really to change the world for the better, why not a quadruple bottom line?
Not especially helpful or mature

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #407 on: 24 June, 2015, 04:07:00 pm »
Customer segmentation

I've just been to a management presentation where this was used. I hope it doesn't mean chopping our customers up into small bits.

Not small bits, probably just heads/limbs/torsos.

HTH
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #408 on: 17 July, 2015, 08:28:23 am »
A piece on BBC Breakfast this morning about tiny tots "graduating" from nursery school. A child psychologist said something about the "Americanisation" of education, meaningless graduations, proms and the like was generally bad for children. Nursery Skool woman reassured her that "we celebrate all our children in a holistic fashion" :sick:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #409 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:58:07 am »
Customer segmentation

I've just been to a management presentation where this was used. I hope it doesn't mean chopping our customers up into small bits.

Not small bits, probably just heads/limbs/torsos.

HTH
Yeah, neatly separated at joints.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #410 on: 17 July, 2015, 02:40:13 pm »
A piece on BBC Breakfast this morning about tiny tots "graduating" from nursery school. A child psychologist said something about the "Americanisation" of education, meaningless graduations, proms and the like was generally bad for children. Nursery Skool woman reassured her that "we celebrate all our children in a holistic fashion" :sick:

"an holistic" shirley.  But, yes, Pre School graduation is A Thing <grinds teeth>.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #411 on: 18 July, 2015, 06:22:59 am »
Yep. Both my sprogs each got issued with a cape and mortarboard on the respective days they left their (otherwise excellent) nursery.  :facepalm:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #412 on: 29 July, 2015, 12:08:33 pm »

« Reply #413 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:36:18 pm »

;D

I think "reach out" is the term I hate most, and it is the favourite of HR so is in all emails prepared by them for management.  That and "onboarding" (which I'm apparently participating in/ inflicting on a new employee next week) - although there are few new positions so it doesn't get used much and there does seem to be a strong fight back by the "induction" supporters.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #414 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:14:21 am »
According to our CEO's weekly blog, there was a Hackathon in the building last week. He particularly thanked the Scrum Master...

W T actual F?  :hand:

ian

« Reply #415 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:51:22 am »
It's bliss this morning because I'm on holidays, so I miss the wade through the high tide of inbox sludge the mothership's upper deck leave behind overnight. So no 'innovation' (a word we're thoroughly intent on wearing down to dust) for me. I almost miss it in a not-at-all fashion. It's notable that all our senior management seem to have stopped work to dedicate their time to their blogs on our collaboration platform (when we're done with 'innovate' and it's little more than a smudge of grey word dust, 'collaborate' is going to be next in the grinder). OK, I know they don't write those blogs, they have minions to quantify their knowledge, but I'm glad they take the time to have someone else share their thoughts. I'm quite surprised our CEO hasn't asked me to write his blog.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #416 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »
According to our CEO's weekly blog, there was a Hackathon in the building last week. He particularly thanked the Scrum Master...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_(software_development)

A delightful hybrid between a project failure management methodology and a borderline-cult. We've got some of it at our place. The high priests and priestesses of it call themselves "masters".

« Reply #417 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »
And there was I imagining a large group with axes...  ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #418 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:19:12 pm »
I'm quite surprised our CEO hasn't asked me to write his blog.

You should volunteer your services, as long as you have another job lined up first.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #419 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:24:06 pm »

A delightful hybrid between a project failure management methodology and a borderline-cult. We've got some of it at our place. The high priests and priestesses of it call themselves "masters".

No good can come of applying sportsball metaphors to software development.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #420 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:39:05 pm »

No good can come of applying sportsball metaphors to software development.

Absolutely. Having such metaphors in play should be considered a foul, or at the very least offside. They should be kicked into touch at the first opportunity.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

fuzzy

« Reply #421 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »
SWMBO had her appraisal yesterday. Her boss had it logged as her 'Talent Toolbox'.

:sick: and thrice  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #422 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:55:21 pm »
Boss sounds like a complete tool, and I don't mean a Topeak Alien either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ben T

« Reply #423 on: 12 August, 2015, 02:16:06 pm »

A sometimes deliberate misinterpretation of the principles of scrum/agile, or even sometimes a correct interpretation of them, can be and often is used as an excuse to avoid bothering doing a particular piece of work.

« Reply #424 on: 12 August, 2015, 02:25:00 pm »
Boss sounds like a complete tool, and I don't mean a Topeak Alien either.

Topeak Aliens serve a much more useful purpose
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped