Author Topic: London Oxford Didcot Quinaton: Steam Ride Event - 9th March 2014  (Read 15630 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: London Oxford Didcot Quainton: Steam Ride Event - 9th March 2014
« Reply #25 on: 04 March, 2014, 01:59:51 pm »
Only a few days to go now .....
I'm very appreciative of the time and effort people put into organising rides so it will be nice to be the other side of the counter for this one - I should be helping with registration at the Lido on Sunday morning. Please have your YACF name badges at the ready so I can match the faces and names  :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: London Oxford Didcot Quinaton: Steam Ride Event - 9th March 2014
« Reply #26 on: 04 March, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »
Just perusing the route sheet. There appear to be one or two glitches, which I presume are artefacts from the perm version. One suggestion for a slight amendment - as you leave the first control at Quainton, looking at Google Maps, I would suggest replacing the first few instructions with the following:

L @ T onto Lower Street, becomes Lee Rd [no need to detour through the centre of the village]
L @ T $ Bicester ... 1.9

I'm very appreciative of the time and effort people put into organising rides

Indeed. Any suggestions such as the above are meant in a spirit of helpfulness rather than criticism!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27 on: 04 March, 2014, 06:13:44 pm »
Looking forward to this ride. Going to have to work out how to show lap distance on the Garmin as there is no cumulative distance on the route sheet  :-\

I live in Sutton Courtenay and Peep-o-Day lane has been flooded most of the winter but not sure if it is open at the moment. I can check before Sunday, it'll probably be muddy whatever though and I'm not planning to go that way! An alternative way out of Abingdon to Sutton Courtenay avoiding the lane and Drayton is by turning L at the Abbey Gate (11.0), cross the Thames via bridge, either first R $ Culham (The Burycroft) with care and R @ T or carry on a bit further and R @ TL. Over Thames again at Sutton Bridge (Culham Lock). R at T ($ Drayton B4016) and through Sutton Courtenay past Church to rejoin route sheet by L at triangle (17.8 ).

Whichever route you take please take care from roundabout at 19.9 to roundabout at 22.3. This is heavily used by HGVs from the ASDA distribution centre and Milton Park, even on a Sunday. There is a cycle path alongside the road which is in good condition and you can join just as you exit Sutton Courtenay (narrowing with hump) or at either of the roundabouts ahead. Note the road after the first roundabout at 19.9 is in a very poor condition on the LHS.

As the route sheet says Fulscot Bridge after Didcot Station is shut at the moment, the cycle path alongside the railway line (1.1 on route sheet) is in a poor state, Railtrack were supposed to repair it before closing the bridge. It's passable with care on road bikes. Alternative routes are via the busy and unpleasant A4130 which I don't recommend.

Basically this is the route I'll be taking through Abingdon from Radley, it's shorter and avoids the poorly surfaced NCN tracks...

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4152458

Hope a little local knowledge helps  ;D

Cheers

John

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #28 on: 04 March, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »
Weather permitting, the West of London Astronomical Society will be holding public observing sessions in the car park at Ruislip Lido on all three evenings this coming weekend.
You could combine Audax withh some stargazing...
http://www.wolas.org.uk/observing_events

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 05 March, 2014, 05:40:37 pm »
My spy informs me that the Railway Society is opening its café to coincide with the WOLAS observing session and should be open from 7pm.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 05 March, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »
Whichever route you take please take care from roundabout at 19.9 to roundabout at 22.3. This is heavily used by HGVs from the ASDA distribution centre and Milton Park, even on a Sunday. There is a cycle path alongside the road which is in good condition and you can join just as you exit Sutton Courtenay (narrowing with hump) or at either of the roundabouts ahead. Note the road after the first roundabout at 19.9 is in a very poor condition on the LHS.
There certainly are HGVs on that road, but on a Sunday it's a pretty quiet road overall. Getting on/off the not-great cycle-path is somewhat shitty (especially East-bound), so I rarely bother with it. John is right about that crap surface though!

Where is the Didcot control? It might be easier to use the Sustrans route thru Ladygrove (which is virtually unaffected by flooding, and quite a nice track).

[I completely forgot about this event - I thought it was in summer, and local flooding has been distracting me in cycling terms.  :facepalm: ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #31 on: 05 March, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »
There certainly are HGVs on that road, but on a Sunday it's a pretty quiet road overall. Getting on/off the not-great cycle-path is somewhat shitty (especially East-bound), so I rarely bother with it. John is right about that crap surface though!

Where is the Didcot control? It might be easier to use the Sustrans route thru Ladygrove (which is virtually unaffected by flooding, and quite a nice track).

[I completely forgot about this event - I thought it was in summer, and local flooding has been distracting me in cycling terms.  :facepalm: ]

Even more Cunning local knowledge, dictates sticking with my "existing" latest detours  ;D
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4150491
Avoiding A-roads, the busy Abingdon 1-way system, and following along the "Scenic Thames through Abingdon to the marina".. then using the Drayton Rd, which has cycle-lanezzz (although these are optional).. before swinging back for a view of Didcot Power station (soon be be demolished)... what, not on UNESCO - world heritage site, lol ;)
(1 of few who'll be sad to see the towers come down, as what brought my engineer dad to Didcot)

The Bridge out at Didcot, and crap 1km track..does hold the promise of empty roadsz to Wallingford :)
 Milton trading estate/Asda rbt's are quiet on a Sunday pm, as Mattc  points out... 

Coming by bike ???
Have included Route sheets from Ealing Broadway to Ruislilip Lido (allow 1 hour),  via scenic Pyramid country park (see PERM LOL for gpx track).
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #32 on: 06 March, 2014, 12:00:46 am »

Even more Cunning local knowledge, dictates sticking with my "existing" latest detours  ;D
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4150491
Avoiding A-roads, the busy Abingdon 1-way system, and following along the "Scenic Thames through Abingdon to the marina".. then using the Drayton Rd, which has cycle-lanezzz (although these are optional).. before swinging back for a view of Didcot Power station (soon be be demolished)... what, not on UNESCO - world heritage site, lol ;)

The Bridge out at Didcot, and crap 1km track..does hold the promise of empty roadsz to Wallingford :)
 Milton trading estate/Asda rbt's are quiet on a Sunday pm, as Mattc  points out...

It is quieter on a Sunday, this is true. Not entirely HGV free though, the ASDA DC works seven days a week. Matt is right in that it's not so easy to get onto and leave the cycle-path eastbound.

You could follow NCN5 from Sutton Courtenay (signposted along Frilsham Street) which goes behind the power station and comes out on Basil Hill Road, it's a decent traffic-free alternative to the ASDA HGV road and gives a very very close up view of the cooling towers. There was some minor flooding along there a few weeks ago, but nothing too bad. A lot of it has just recently been resurfaced with billiard table smooth tarmac BTW.

I personally prefer the A415 out of Abingdon than the B4017 to Drayton. Although you will miss the marina and riverside road going my way you will see the Sutton Courtenay village green and the church where Herbert Asquith and George Orwell are buried ;)

Cheers

John

PS I can see the power station as I type this, I don't need to make a special detour to see it  ;D

« Reply #33 on: 06 March, 2014, 09:06:28 am »
There is a danger, having this debate on an open forum, of causing confusion or unnecessary concern in riders' minds.  Have a dialogue with the organiser by all means, to possibly improve subsequent editions, but while the route is passable (ie not flooded or otherwise closed) better to keep the route as the organiser has published it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 06 March, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »
There is no Metropolitan Line service between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Uxbridge and no Piccadilly Line service between South Harrow and Uxbridge this weekend.

A true randonneur wouldn't take a train to the start, would they?  ;)

« Reply #35 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:43:31 pm »
I'm in.  Looking forward to it. 

« Reply #36 on: 06 March, 2014, 11:12:31 pm »
There is a danger, having this debate on an open forum, of causing confusion or unnecessary concern in riders' minds.  Have a dialogue with the organiser by all means, to possibly improve subsequent editions, but while the route is passable (ie not flooded or otherwise closed) better to keep the route as the organiser has published it.

Fair point. There is nothing wrong with the published route between Oxford and Didcot. It's perfectly fine and rideable throughout, I don't have any concerns about cycling any of the roads/paths on that route. I've cycled all of them on numerous occasions. The diversion to avoid the (potentially) closed Peep-o-Day lane is fine, and the lane itself is usually the best way of getting to Sutton Courtenay from Abingdon. I wasn't criticising the choice of route, e.g. there isn't a whole lot of choice getting to Wallingford from Didcot with Fulscot Bridge closed. I've been in debate with the local authority to get that path resurfaced for over a year with no luck and I'll be using it on Sunday. Sorry if I muddied the waters.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #37 on: 06 March, 2014, 11:34:27 pm »

I'm in for the 100. I had hoped to do the 200 but having done far less riding than I'd hoped by now I don't know if I've got the legs for it just yet. So I'll ride to and from the start, which will give me somewhere in the region of 100 miles for the day. Which will be the longest ride by a fair margin for several months, thanks to all the rain.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #38 on: 07 March, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »
I'll be along for the 200km :)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #39 on: 07 March, 2014, 01:04:54 pm »
I'm looking forward to this, along with quite a few others who I know are entered.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #40 on: 07 March, 2014, 02:56:56 pm »
This ride looks like it will be well attended.  I'm also looking forward to it greatly.  This will be my first outing in a while and what better way to get back into the saddle than the LOL?! - the ride looks excellent. :thumbsup:

Re: W.London: Steam Ride Event - 9th March 2014
« Reply #41 on: 08 March, 2014, 03:37:23 am »
Beaconsfield to Gerard's cross is really shit. Uxbridge is shit. Hillingdon shit. Southall (where I join on to uxbridge road) shit and full of zombie peds.

Ha! I'm clearly not the only one. I've just resigned myself to the fact that there's not much of an alternative.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 08 March, 2014, 11:58:37 am »
Peepoday Lane was totally rideable yesterday (and no rain is forecast). I wouldn't want to ride it without mudguards ...  ;D

(The Sustrans paths in/out of Didcot are all ridable too, including the Cooling Towers Viewing Path. The latter features possibly the smoothest 300m of tarmac in England, but is rather prone to flooding. I don't think it's on any of the official routes for this ride, so please ignore - even though I'd use them if I was riding! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #43 on: 08 March, 2014, 02:37:45 pm »
I'm looking forward to a long day out on the bike.
I'm planning to ride out to the start (only 15 miles), well I am a true randonneur, not read any posts on YACF that tell me about "potential" problems, but deal with them as and when, well I am a true randonneur. I will probabley start with a group from the start, ride with them for a while, I will also ride by myself at some point too. I will use my Garmin to navigate, but I'll also take a paper copy along in my saddle bag, because in the past, things don't always work as you've planned, and I've learnt from those experiences, and become a better randonneur.
Hopefull tomorrow will bring some new experiences to enjoy and get me fitter for all the other events I have plaaned for 2104.  ;D
See you all there. I'm ridding 72" fixed. Very old school.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #44 on: 08 March, 2014, 04:00:35 pm »
Instructionally challenging, so far; fully expecting > 50% of thee field never to be seen again... ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #45 on: 08 March, 2014, 05:22:56 pm »
Just been for a recce along Peep-o-Day lane between Abingdon and Sutton Courtenay and as Matt says it's open, dry, mud-free and in good condition. Perfectly rideable on my road bike. So I would follow the directions for that way on the route sheet with no need to go via Drayton.

John

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #46 on: 09 March, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »

Just got cleaned up after the 100, plus riding to and from the ride. If I'd realised how close I was going to be I'd have done it as a DIY 200 - I ended the day with something like 180km.

Still, a really good ride and a glorious day for it. So now my longest ride of 2014 has jumped from 40 miles to 112 miles.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #47 on: 09 March, 2014, 06:25:55 pm »
All done, ~220k full course with my wrong turns + ride to/from start. No longer an Audax virgin!
Thanks to the organiser and volunteers. Now for the turbo..

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #48 on: 09 March, 2014, 07:43:28 pm »
Did the 100k with CET Junior.  Not often I get to do a long ride in March in shorts  :thumbsup:  Sensible route through the Chilterns (different ways out and back) with fantastic section before and after the control through Eythrope and Waddesdon Parks on traffic-free roads plus really good bacon butties in the Memorial Hall at Quainton.  Really enjoyable day out.  Ruislip Lido was heaving at the finish as most of NW London sought the first warm sunshine of spring after a wet winter.   Will be on my shortlist again next year.   ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #49 on: 09 March, 2014, 07:58:14 pm »
hippy, good to meet you briefly at the end - there's no need to say well done on your first 200km audax to the reigning UK 24 hour champion but great to see riders of your calibre out on the road at these events. See you at another soon I hope. In our group there was a good mix of the 'new to audax' but still pretty quick, and some old steel in the shape of laid back rich and Paul from the SWRC. We stuck together from Quainton and all finished pretty much together aside from some minor route / traffic issues in the final 10k, returning a respectable 8'45" in what turned out to be a beautiful, if a little blustery, day out on the bike.

It's a new route but it generally delivered some great scenery, pretty villages an Oxford looked stunning in the sunshine. Navigation was a bit tricky in places, the track out of Didcot was 'interesting' but all in all well done to the organiser, the start / finish control on the lido was a great success, and this is a welcome addition to the calendar. We came back along the A40, it was fine but the loop in to Southall and back to Ruislip was a bit odd in my opinion, it's petty busy around there on a Sunday afternoon. I'm sure an extra 10k can be added out in the countryside somewhere to avoid this. But,  many thanks again to the organiser and helpers for putting on this great event.