Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121380 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #450 on: 07 October, 2020, 07:27:00 pm »
( I assume you didn't buy this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-record-handicutter-15-45mm-manual-multi-material-pipe-cutter/84140)

I bought this pipe cutter. It worked perfectly.
To the point I discovered the cutting wheel is too small and will not cut into a thick walled pipe.

Try putting some oil on the wheel/area  to cut and rollers and rotate the cutter turning the knob in very small increments - I've cut lots of chrome steel tube for a shower curtain with one of those cutters - just slowly and loads of rotations to cut slowly.

« Reply #451 on: 07 October, 2020, 08:00:29 pm »
( I assume you didn't buy this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-record-handicutter-15-45mm-manual-multi-material-pipe-cutter/84140)

To the point I discovered the cutting wheel is too small and will not cut into a thick walled pipe.

Try putting some oil on the wheel/area  to cut and rollers and rotate the cutter turning the knob in very small increments - I've cut lots of chrome steel tube for a shower curtain with one of those cutters - just slowly and loads of rotations to cut slowly.
^^ wot 'e sed. If it is that one, it is similar to the one I've had for <cough> years, and gone through 1.5mm mild steel quite happily.

robgul

« Reply #452 on: 08 October, 2020, 07:35:10 am »

^^ wot 'e sed. If it is that one, it is similar to the one I've had for <cough> years, and gone through 1.5mm mild steel quite happily.

If you're coughing at the time you've had yours I must be choking!  - 43 years is the best guess for mine

« Reply #453 on: 08 October, 2020, 12:20:53 pm »

If you're coughing at the time you've ad yours I must be choking!  - 43 years is the best guess for mine

I'd struggle to find an accurate date, but they are similar age, I definitely had it in '81, but can't remember when before that.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #454 on: 08 October, 2020, 01:53:31 pm »
Given the thread title, it's obvious that what he needs is a new lathe.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #455 on: 08 October, 2020, 02:30:22 pm »
Yesterday I needed to make adjustments to some aluminium extrusions, parts of the mounting frame for my solar panels.  I could have done it in a few minutes with an angle grinder but it would have been messy and not good for the disk.  A power file was another option.  Instead I used my mill, a lovely thing that has sat neglected and unused since I moved.  It was a very pleasurable couple of hours and produced a lovely finish.  Utterly unjustifiable at a practical level, the job did not remotely need that finish nor warrant the time.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

robgul

« Reply #456 on: 08 October, 2020, 02:36:43 pm »
I've been making some prototypes for timber mouldings to make a display case for my brother's 1/8 scale (yes 1/8 - it's bloody big) model of a car (it's a Citroen Light 15 or Traction Avant if you prefer)  The case will be about 80 x 35cm with acrylic panels.

Very therapeutic although my home-made router bench isn't that brilliant . . . I can see a table with built in router, micro-adjust fences, lift etc etc being purchased soon  :thumbsup: - oh, and of course I'll need a few more cutters  :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #457 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:21:04 am »
New project is to restore a 1950s Woden engineer's vice from rusty near-scrap condition (although it looks ok, hasn't been used as an anvil and the handle isn't bent).  I have a small one already but this is a bit of a monster.  They usually just need a lot of surface rust removing and then Hammerite by brush. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #458 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:30:01 am »
New project is to restore a 1950s Woden engineer's vice from rusty near-scrap condition (although it looks ok, hasn't been used as an anvil and the handle isn't bent).  I have a small one already but this is a bit of a monster.  They usually just need a lot of surface rust removing and then Hammerite by brush.

Use the Smoothrite paint - for a more original finish . . . just as tough, looks better.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #459 on: 09 October, 2020, 03:21:48 pm »
Not strictly tools, but it is tangentially related.  If you squint hard enough.

Have returned from holiday with 140 quids' worth of balsa and two or three (small) sheets of 1/64" & 1/32" ply. 

MrsL recently (within the last fortnight) described my study as, "...looking like an explosion in a timber yard."  I don't think I can reasonably disagree with her.  Never mind, it's all in a good cause and if you give me a moment I might even be able to tell you what the cause is.  :)

Oh. Yes.  I did buy another pin chuck with some spare collets as well so that makes the post legit.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #460 on: 09 October, 2020, 05:55:52 pm »
MrsL recently (within the last fortnight) described my study as, "...looking like an explosion in a timber yard." 
;D ;D ;D

robgul

« Reply #461 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:45:06 pm »
Was tempted by a couple of ebay bargains - one is a used but pretty much mint condition Stanley plane to replace one I've lost (how can you lose a plane?) and the other is one of the Makita rip-off Katsu palm routers, which is new.   Oh, and I almost forgot I ordered a couple of lenghs of T-track for some modifications to my main woodwork bench.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #462 on: 24 October, 2020, 05:50:41 pm »
Those Katsu aren't too bad, not a patch on the Makita though.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #463 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:02:46 pm »

Have returned from holiday with 140 quids' worth of balsa and two or three (small) sheets of 1/64" & 1/32" ply. 

MrsL recently (within the last fortnight) described my study as, "...looking like an explosion in a timber yard."  I don't think I can reasonably disagree with her.  Never mind, it's all in a good cause and if you give me a moment I might even be able to tell you what the cause is.  :)

Oh. Yes.  I did buy another pin chuck with some spare collets as well so that makes the post legit.
A massive, man-carrying glider?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #464 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:01:29 am »

I had to order some stuff from Amazon DE, but was under the free postage threshold. So added on a Ryoba Japanese saw. I've wanted one for ages. Timed it nicely as it was about 40% off the price of the previous week.

Not a Suizan that I'd really like, but it's a good start of my saw collection.

need to think about how to store it tho. Right now it's on the shelf in the living room...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

robgul

« Reply #465 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:05:29 pm »

I had to order some stuff from Amazon DE, but was under the free postage threshold. So added on a Ryoba Japanese saw. I've wanted one for ages. Timed it nicely as it was about 40% off the price of the previous week.

Not a Suizan that I'd really like, but it's a good start of my saw collection.

need to think about how to store it tho. Right now it's on the shelf in the living room...

J

I "discovered" Japanese saws earlier this year - what a revelation for cutting all sorts of stuff easily and with very clean edges.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #466 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:18:01 pm »
Those Katsu aren't too bad, not a patch on the Makita though.

They're pretty crude, but they do the job.  Noisy as hell, especially when mounted in a table.

I "discovered" Japanese saws earlier this year - what a revelation for cutting all sorts of stuff easily and with very clean edges.

I can saw crooked with them twice as fast as with a western saw.  With an old try-square for a guide my dozuki is great for fret slots, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #467 on: 25 October, 2020, 03:01:18 pm »
Quote from: rogerzilla
Quote from: TheLurker

A massive, man-carrying glider?
Ohh, what a lovely idea.  A Colditz Cock* perhaps?  Alas, 140 quid buys shockingly little balsa so it'll just be my usual ~ 13" to ~ 36" span toys.

*A Grunau Baby knock-off if ever I saw one.

Most of that lot is 1/32", 1/16" & 3/32" sheet with a few bits of 1/8" & 1/4". 

What that pic. doesn't show is the 25 quids' worth of 1/20" sheet for indoor models that I bought *since* I got back.  Taken with the pre-existing woodpile I should have enough to keep me building for at least a couple or three years at current rates of production.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #468 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:02:16 pm »
Pure filth, Mr TL.  I'm surprised that the mods let you post that pile of pure, unadulterated aeromodelling timber.

Someone should confiscate it and send it to me.

To replace the big pile I gave away...........

« Reply #469 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:33:26 pm »
Was tempted by a couple of ebay bargains - one is a used but pretty much mint condition Stanley plane to replace one I've lost (how can you lose a plane?) and the other is one of the Makita rip-off Katsu palm routers, which is new.

I uhmd and ahed for weeks and eventually bought a Katsu palm router. Its very much a knock of of the Makita. Comes with loads of bits. The dust control doesn't work well but apart form that it's done everything I have asked it to. The last task was knocking 2mm of about 5 meters of beading that was just too big for what I needed. Worked really well.
For occasional hobby use I would definitely recommended it. For serious use go for the Makita.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #470 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:27:32 pm »
I'm no tool junkie but the saw I bought earlier in the year to trim branches, cut down 50 year old rose bushes & small trees in my parents garden was well worth the money. 

https://www.chainsdirect.co.uk/products/silky-saws/fixed-blades-saws/silky-zubat-330mm-saw.html

The folding Bahco Laplander is pretty good as well. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

« Reply #471 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:29:26 am »
Well, my alleged Makita rip-off Katsu palm router turned out to be a rip-off of a rip-off of the Katsu - the major difference being the rather crude clamp meachnism that didn't clamp - meaning that the body slipped when powered up.

Raised a return through ebay and got instant acceptance a free post label to return, with a refund due on receipt.
I then got a message (usual Chinese style "Dear friend") asking me not to leave negative feedback and suggesting that they refund all but £2.00 of my payment and I can keep the offending machine.   Seemed reasonable although I would not use the machine as is - it may be something I build into a mini router table at some time?

Anyway - lesson learned and Mr Amazon (on the penultimate day in my trial Prime!) delivered a Katsu genuine Makita rip-off last night - and so far from one quick trial it's great.

Oh, and (as above) I collected the Record No53 woodwork vice - BIG with 10" wide jaws and probably 12" capacity - it's a refurbish job but should look good and be useful when finished.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #472 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:43:29 am »
As an edge trimmer the Katsu is great, but I found that the height adjuster jammed when it was in the router table unless I pushed it up manually at the same time.  A bit of a fiddle when you want to set the bit to a precise distance above the table.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

« Reply #473 on: 30 October, 2020, 07:59:57 pm »
As an edge trimmer the Katsu is great, but I found that the height adjuster jammed when it was in the router table unless I pushed it up manually at the same time.  A bit of a fiddle when you want to set the bit to a precise distance above the table.

I can see the issue - if I did mount the rip-off rip-off thing in a router table it would be fitted pretty permanently with a round-over bit in it - just for, err - round-overs.  [In reality I'm probably unlikely to use it at all!} - some use of the Katsu today has been pretty good although most of my day has been spent re-arranging shelves and storage in the workshop.  Task over the next day is probably to mount a s/h 30cm kitchen base cupboard on wheels with the drill press bolted on top - the more machinery on wheels the better.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #474 on: 31 October, 2020, 01:27:34 am »
What's the diameter of the katsu rip off?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium