Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1603700 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12075 on: 15 May, 2020, 11:27:38 am »
DJ Random, pray tell, what have you got against Blanck Mass that you refuse to play them – and them alone – in your frivolous selection of the works of Popular Beat Combos ???

DJ Random is trying to tell you that Fuck Buttons beats Blanck Mass?

He's perfectly happy with playing Fuck Buttons, so you may have a point.  Though if I clone him and replace the condition "Album Artist is not BBC Radio" with "Album Artist is Blanck Mass" it works ???

Edit: He clearly fears the wrath of Mrs P, coz he played "Lung" about an hour ago :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12076 on: 15 May, 2020, 07:38:54 pm »
 :-X
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #12077 on: 15 May, 2020, 09:30:56 pm »
I fear that if someone drew a Venn diagram of mine and Senor Larrer's musical tastes, we'd need two sheets of paper. And jet planes.

I just listened to Katy Perry's Firework, of course, because it's Friday and we've both kissed a girl. Probably not the same one.

I'm a bit more hip at the moment with of Grimes and i_o's rather spiffy belly-trembler 4ÆM.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12078 on: 15 May, 2020, 10:11:47 pm »
I expected to like Blanck Mass because it was one of Fuck Buttons. But I did not.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12079 on: 15 May, 2020, 10:16:45 pm »
For some reason, Blanck Mass puts me in mind of Satanist quantum physicists. :demon:

IGMC
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #12080 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:36:14 am »
Fans of Fuck Buttons  :thumbsup:  Jarre's Electronica 1 is a worthy addition to your collection if only for the FB track which is excellent. In fact the whole album is good. Electronica 2 imo is a disappointment in a similar manner to moving from Fuck Buttons to Blanck Mass.  Not bad but not as good.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12081 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:52:41 am »
I'm a bit more hip at the moment with of Grimes and i_o's rather spiffy belly-trembler 4ÆM.

Isn't that part of what the Muskrat just named his daughter?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12082 on: 16 May, 2020, 12:50:25 pm »
I expected to like Blanck Mass because it was one of Fuck Buttons. But I did not.

Chacun a son wossname, but then again I like Sunn O))) :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12083 on: 17 May, 2020, 12:44:35 pm »
I just broke my second favourite[1] screwdriver bodging the landlord's shitty kitchen drawer.   >:(

[1] A long-serving Stanley PZ1[2] that was part of a set.  Naturally they're no longer molished in that style.
[2] AKA "the screwdriver that fits everything".

« Reply #12084 on: 17 May, 2020, 02:59:23 pm »
I just broke my second favourite[1] screwdriver bodging the landlord's shitty kitchen drawer.   >:(

[1] A long-serving Stanley PZ1[2] that was part of a set.  Naturally they're no longer molished in that style.
[2] AKA "the screwdriver that fits everything".

Grey trilobed handle with blue rubbery inserts, wozzit?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12085 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:11:41 pm »
That's the badger.

Cunningly I have two, thanks to some inadvertent theft in the late 90s.  So the other one's gone to complete the set, and I'll invest in something posh and German to keep upstairs with my electronics-fettling tools.

« Reply #12086 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:34:29 pm »
That's the badger.

Cunningly I have two, thanks to some inadvertent theft in the late 90s.  So the other one's gone to complete the set, and I'll invest in something posh and German to keep upstairs with my electronics-fettling tools.
Intuitively, I knew that.
Magnum. Best screwdrivers evah, to come out of Stanley's screwdriver factory.
I have two sets, as a result of having a 'home' as well as a 'travelling' tool kit.
A third driver has been ground into submission and pressed into service as a bradawl.
Long live the pricks!

ETA - Wiha and Wera are probably your friends - but I suspect you already know that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12087 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:18:08 pm »
Magnum. Best screwdrivers evah, to come out of Stanley's screwdriver factory.

Makes sense.  My mum bought the set for me one Christmas when I was a teenager, likely on recommendation from the nice man in the LHS where she was a regular.  Stopped her screwdrivers going walkies, innit.

« Reply #12088 on: 17 May, 2020, 10:30:43 pm »
Our "main" fan over has broken. The smaller top oven still works and the hob is gas, so it isn't a disaster. I've yet to take a proper look as a) it was already up to temperature when it went in the morning and b) the chances of me fixing it (or making it safe at least) on a Sunday before I needed to cook supper seemed minimal.

ian

« Reply #12089 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:54:02 am »

Isn't that part of what the Muskrat just named his daughter?

It had completely passed me by, but I did Google what his daughter was called (really, she's not going to thank you for that) and discovered he's actually married to Grimes (who knew – well, everyone it seems) so it's all makes sense now.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12090 on: 18 May, 2020, 06:24:00 pm »
Grimes BA (Stoke-on-Trent) was the headmaster of st custards and the proprietor of a whelk stall in the Seven Sisters Road.  I didn't know he had a parallel career in music.

« Reply #12091 on: 18 May, 2020, 10:49:51 pm »
Our "main" fan over has broken. The smaller top oven still works and the hob is gas, so it isn't a disaster. I've yet to take a proper look as a) it was already up to temperature when it went in the morning and b) the chances of me fixing it (or making it safe at least) on a Sunday before I needed to cook supper seemed minimal.

It'a come back to life of it's own volition. So ungrumble.

« Reply #12092 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:22:47 pm »
I hate it when you go online to buy something small - in this case, replacement brushes for my Park Tool chain cleaner - and you end up having* to buy extra stuff to get free P&P. Even Shamazon couldn't do it any better. And I didn't know Chain Reaction was now part of Wiggle - or vice versa.

* Whilst I balk at paying £3 for P&P, I'll not walk away from paying £10 for stuff I don't really need.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #12093 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:55:24 pm »
I hate it when you go online to buy something small - in this case, replacement brushes for my Park Tool chain cleaner - and you end up having* to buy extra stuff to get free P&P. Even Shamazon couldn't do it any better. And I didn't know Chain Reaction was now part of Wiggle - or vice versa.

* Whilst I balk at paying £3 for P&P, I'll not walk away from paying £10 for stuff I don't really need.

Wiggle is owned by venture capitalists now - Bridgeport Capital - and bought up CRC a long time ago - 2016. Both are now crap IMO, all stock being at the Wiggle "Citadel" despite the separate CRC website. They also own Bike24, which remains pretty good as it's run independently. But it's in Germany, so who knows after Brexit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12094 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:13:07 pm »
Paying for P&P seems fair enough to me. Royal Mail and couriers are not charities.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12095 on: 21 May, 2020, 08:21:31 pm »
Paying for P&P seems fair enough to me. Royal Mail and couriers are not charities.
Well, what I mean is that I don't feel I can justify the £3 P&P on an £8 purchase, so I fill up the basket until I reach the free P&P threshold and I end up spending £16 instead of £11. It's as much a grumble against my own flawed logic as anything else.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12096 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:17:34 pm »
If it was £8 postage on a £3 item I'd be following your logic too! (or maybe not buying it at all, if I didn't really need it – not always an option, admittedly)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12097 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:28:46 pm »

Wiggle is owned by venture capitalists now - Bridgeport Capital - and bought up CRC a long time ago - 2016. Both are now crap IMO, all stock being at the Wiggle "Citadel" despite the separate CRC website. They also own Bike24, which remains pretty good as it's run independently. But it's in Germany, so who knows after Brexit.

Nope - Wiggle oesn't own Bike24 now - they bought, couldn't make a go of it and virtually gave it back to the previous owner in September 2019

Rob

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12098 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:32:32 pm »

What are you doing buying brushes for the Park cleaner????  - just use degreaser and an old toothbrush - or the extremely good Fenwicks Chain Cleaner Foam in an aerosol can (spray it on like shaving cream, leave for 10 minutes, 2 or 3 rotations of the chain and wash off with water before a re-lube)

Rob

PS: I chucked away a Chinese clone Park chain cleaner the other day, I'd have given it to you!

« Reply #12099 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:36:53 pm »
Just yesterday i held off buying £8 of things because of £8 postage. While I'm happy for post to be a costed item, it wouldn't cost that for a padded envelope, 2nd class post on the package and £1 of someone's time to stick my address on the envelope.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk