Pickled eggs. Well?

Yes!
38 (53.5%)
No!
15 (21.1%)
I've never lived
18 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Pickled eggs!  (Read 14410 times)

Pickled eggs!
« on: 03 May, 2008, 08:56:58 pm »
I'm a yes. They are very fine.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Pickled eggs!
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:32:25 pm »
The last pub that I remember having a jar of pickled eggs on the counter was the Prince of Wales in Moseley, Brum.
We would buy a couple of packets of cheese & onion crisps, empty them onto a plate and crush a couple of pickled eggs on top of them.  Went great as a shared snack with a pint of mild.
Kept people away from our table as well.  Which was nice.  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2008, 01:01:05 am »
Never tried one. Maybe I should.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2008, 01:13:46 am »
Donkey's years ago when I were a lad, we had a pickled egg eating competition in whatever pub we happened to be in at the time. The first to display a clean mouth was the winner. The chap who won it swallowed the egg whole. I think he was as surprised as the rest of us.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2008, 01:14:15 am »
Luv em, browner the better!!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:28:22 pm »
On the recent Essex Pub Ride pickled eggs featured significantly in our earnest discussions so I decided to have a go at pickling my own (eggs that is).

The picture below shows the results.  I have only done half a dozen eggs, I didn’t have a big enough old jar for more.

I got the methodology off the interweb and invented my own recipe.  The vinegar (which you boil, simmer for 10 minutes then cool) has a cinnamon stick, pepper corns, garlic, golden and maple syrup, sugar, chives and basil in it.  I sieved the cooled liquor, and poured it over the eggs in the jar.  I added fresh garlic cloves, the cinnamon stick and fresh basil and chives.  The jar is now in the fridge maturing.  I’m not sure how long I will leave it, a couple of weeks perhaps?

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:40:42 pm »
I got the methodology off the interweb and invented my own recipe.  The vinegar (which you boil, simmer for 10 minutes then cool) has a cinnamon stick, pepper corns, garlic, golden and maple syrup, sugar, chives and basil in it.  I sieved the cooled liquor, and poured it over the eggs in the jar.  I added fresh garlic cloves, the cinnamon stick and fresh basil and chives.  The jar is now in the fridge maturing.  I’m not sure how long I will leave it, a couple of weeks perhaps?
Sounds OK to me. Is this the jar for bobb or will you test the result first?
Last pickled egg I had was from a chippy a couple of years ago.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:47:36 pm »
Sounds OK to me. Is this the jar for bobb or will you test the result first?
Last pickled egg I had was from a chippy a couple of years ago.

If I am proved to be a successful egg pickler I may offer Bobb a sample of my wares.  Perhaps I could become the offical yacf egg pickler and get awarded some sort of warrant and get to wear a crest on me (bike) helmet.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:37:01 pm »
I've never tried a picked egg, so far as I know.

They look lovely. :-X
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:41:33 pm »
Best present a patient ever gave me was a jar of pickled eggs. The rest of the department were horrified but I enjoyed every single egg. I'd eat pretty much anything if it was pickled though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:42:18 pm »
Good grief!  Nooooooooo!!!!
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:53:42 pm »
I've never tried a picked egg, so far as I know.

They look lovely. :-X

On the next ride we are both on I will try to remember and bring some so you can try. 

However, pickled eggs reputation for making the eater fart like a carthorse is well earnt.  We had better ensure Mrs Wow isn't down wind of you on the stokers seat.

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2008, 09:55:09 pm »
Pickled eggs are the Devil's testicles, hence the mephitic emanations that result from the ill-advised consumption of such incomestibles.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:45:58 pm »
Those eggs look mighty fine, Oscars!! I look forward to my jar come the next general election  :P

TOKaMak enjoying an egg:

bobb about to devour an egg:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:22:26 pm »
Your eggs are being served "out" aren't they?  I would go for "in" as in a packet of crisps.

« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:01:02 pm »
I did have a packet of "Scampi Fries" and wasn't sure weather to have the egg in or out. I decided on out as I wanted to enjoy the pickledness of the egg in its fullness :P

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:30:18 pm »
Pickled eggs are the work of Satan!   :demon:

Whereas pickled onions are the sublime creation of the Little Baby Jesus...  O:-)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:47:37 pm »
Aren't tose two old booyyes in the background sporting "Viper" lycra? :o :D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:24:36 pm »
Right you lot, where can I get some pickled eggs in Larhdan? After all this talk I'm craving them. I've spent the past few days in almost every proper pub and chippy in Tower Hamlets and still no luck. Though I do have an almost constant drunk feeling.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:27:23 pm »
Try here http://www.eggpub.com/

I reckon we need a London Pickled Egg ride before the summer's much older.

« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:32:08 pm »
Aren't tose two old booyyes in the background sporting "Viper" lycra? :o :D

The Booyee on the left most certainly is. He is a well known Salamandarian  and rides a number of very nice bicycles. The nicest of which is a custom Mercian. The first time I saw it was when his wife shoved it in the boot of her car because he was too hammered on "Jake the snake" to ride home  ;D

Edit: How should it be spelled? Boyee? Boowee? Boiuwee?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:41:19 pm »
Try here http://www.eggpub.com/

I reckon we need a London Pickled Egg ride before the summer's much older.

I shall be ordering one of those t-shirts!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:31:50 pm »
Thanks wow :) 3 pubs on the front page :) I think I may stop by the Islington one tonight :) What a crap website for usability though.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:53:51 pm »
I managed to have one. Sadly I don't see what the fuss is about. It's not bad but it's not as good as a normal boiled yet.

Support Equilibrium

Oscar's dad

« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:58:22 pm »
Valiant, you need to eat your pickled egg with crisps, beer etc. Eg, rice by itself is a bit dull but great when eaten with other things.

Also, they are an acquired taste, keep practising but do so with the window open!