Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1630319 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1725 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »
Guess who packed his windproof instead of his waterproof for the first rainy commute in ages :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1726 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »
How about shoes:any issues with them?
 :demon:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1727 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »
Why not just use yr.no ?
Because, until about 30 seconds ago, I didn't even know it existed :)

I like - uses proper meteorological symbols, proper units and everything; it's shockingly reminiscent of my undergraduate meteorology lectures. I now also know how York is written in Chinese, so I've learnt something new as well ;D

Look at somewhere north of the arctic circle around new year.. they have some symbols that you have probably not seen before. (Like the "it would be sunny if the sun was going to come up but it isn't going to for another few weeks" symbol)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LindaG

« Reply #1728 on: 25 April, 2012, 05:31:29 pm »
My toaster has just self-immolated.  Kitchen cabinets are scorched and the house stinks.

Bugger.  I liked that toaster.  The Boy won it in a raffle.

« Reply #1729 on: 25 April, 2012, 08:22:28 pm »
34 deg. Today I. Turkey in  8)

Too bloody hot to be working  :hand:

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1730 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:53:03 pm »
In contrast to that...
I had the delight of a storm on my last camping trip, but today was perverse. I watched the rain ease, I slung on the lycra and attached the panniers, and I shot off to T*sco in the sun.
By the time I have got out of the shop it is hammering down. I have no overshoes. There is a poxy horrible headwind. There are nobjockeys in cars: as I approach a dad-and-small-lad cycling two abreast towards me, both are overtaken by a wankpanzer that causes me to simultaneously brake hard (secondary is full of pot holes) and shout 'Tosser!". Immediately followes, to the 'dad', "No, not you, mate!"

Cold. Sodding nearly May and cold. Hot bath. So, here I am, copy of the new prequal to The Thing ready to watch, glass of wine to hand, but in winter opaque tights and the longest skirt I've got for warmth. And you complain about heat...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LindaG

« Reply #1731 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:54:57 pm »
Took me ages to find my trainers.  But I found them in the loft of our garage.

Just took them off to find my socks covered in mouse poo   :sick:

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1732 on: 26 April, 2012, 07:36:50 am »
Guess who butterfingered his binoculars onto the tiled kitchen floor last night?

They didn't bounce very well at all..... 

:'(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1733 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:33:52 am »
On the plus side, you probably have some interesting bits of lenses to experiment with...

*runs*
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1734 on: 26 April, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »
Service Proposal for tender has just come in. It's got to be in by the 7th May. My mentor usually does these, without getting me involved.
My mentor is on holiday for the next fortnight.
His words: 'well, it's more responsibility yadda, yadda'.
Thinks I: 'yeah, but it would have been nice to have given one to do myself while there was actually a safety net in the office'

Guess who's going to be pooping her pants and just a teeny bit stressed for the next week?`
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1735 on: 26 April, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »
Guess who butterfingered his binoculars onto the tiled kitchen floor last night?

Ouch.  I once drove off with a pair of Leicas still on the roof of the car - remarkably, they only needed recollimating.  Did the same thing with a notebook full of data as well  :facepalm:

Are they fixable?

« Reply #1736 on: 26 April, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »
Cute, but the Norwegian weather's still a bit wetter than I'd really like.   ;D

I'm not liking the look of my commute much over the next 24 hours either  ;D

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Bristol/hour_by_hour.html

Thats a cracking site feline, it's even got our village listed whereas the met office one hasn't,  we have two weather stations close by one in Sennybridge on the army camp and then another up on the Eppynt which is also under the control of the MOD 50,000 acre play ground
but Trecastle doesn't get a mention on the met site, the closest they get is Brecon 15 bloody miles away,

as this is the rant thread my fecking knee is not right :(

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1737 on: 26 April, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »

Ouch.  I once drove off with a pair of Leicas still on the roof of the car - remarkably, they only needed recollimating.  Did the same thing with a notebook full of data as well  :facepalm:

Are they fixable?

I used to know someone who had done the same with his Hasselblad.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #1738 on: 26 April, 2012, 05:09:26 pm »
theres a hassleblad and some binoculars on the cash converters web site

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1739 on: 26 April, 2012, 07:14:07 pm »

Are they fixable?

Well, having a look at them, the lenses are intact, and mirrors seem to be aligned.
Nasty crack in the casing around the objective lens, and a big dent in the objective lens retaining ring.

Nothing some duct tape and glue won't fix :-)

« Reply #1740 on: 26 April, 2012, 08:21:57 pm »
Why not just use yr.no ?

I carefully looked at the forecast on both yr.no and the met office sites before every audax and long ride I rode last year. The met office predictions bore no resemblance to what actually happened whereas yr.no were spot on. If they predict rain between 2 and 3pm then I put my waterproof on after lunch!

Thanks for that, looks useful.  The weather forecast for the Hebrides at the weekend doesn't look too bad  :)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1741 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:00:36 pm »

Are they fixable?

Well, having a look at them, the lenses are intact, and mirrors seem to be aligned.
Nasty crack in the casing around the objective lens, and a big dent in the objective lens retaining ring.

Nothing some duct tape and glue won't fix :-)

Work a cable-tie in there and you've got a full house  :thumbsup: ;)

« Reply #1742 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »
Migraine...

Fmeh...

Go vay, kay?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1743 on: 27 April, 2012, 01:38:29 am »
For such a small house, it's a very long walk from my daughter's spare bedroom to her lavatory.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1744 on: 27 April, 2012, 10:27:04 am »
The old "I think I'm a lesbian in a male body" is actually so old now that it's getting seriously offensive, particularly when the person saying it is actually serious.  Especially when he follows it up by "will you and your girlfriend have a threesome with me" and then PUTTING HIS HAND IN MY HAIR!

Hmmm, possibly almost a rant.  Definitely going down as the low-point to an otherwise absolutely awesome weekend!

Feedback gone in to the organiser, making it clear that although the other 99% of camp was AWESOME, I may not return next year purely due to this one cockwomble and that what he does is harassment and Not Okay.

I feel sick, I don't do well with rocking boats, but it had to be said.  I might possibly have left it had he kept it to "will you and your girlfriend have sex with me", but when he touched me, it all became very much Not Okay.   :-\

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1745 on: 27 April, 2012, 07:48:54 pm »
Why1040 does the organisation you were with have any kind of code of conduct for people or system to report unwanted stuff like what you had? 

I have run bisexual events for years and one of our biggest issues is despite an excellent (well honed) code of conduct which does work we don't always get told about incidents in time to be able to track down the perps and warn/remove them.  Nothing more maddening than hearing the same creep has harassed 4 people but because it was too late there's not much we can do cos a different group organise each year. >:(

« Reply #1746 on: 27 April, 2012, 09:16:05 pm »
*laughs*

This is a riding club.  We barely have sufficient organisation to actually have everyone in the same place at the same time!  Organisation is not the strong point of those having to do with horses (except when it comes to ordering feed, ensuring vet care etc).

I did comment on it at the time to the organiser*, but I've found out since that several others were made to feel uncomfortable by him after I left.  He's also made several unfortunate comments during lessons.  It was the official feedback I did today, which made me decidedly uncomfortable.  Again...horsey lot...political correctness isn't generally part of peoples' vocabulary...however, the organiser has been fab and is in discussions with the rest of the team re how to deal with it...it's difficult, because venues with those sorts of facilities aren't easy to come by for a gang of 30 riders plus horses etc...but something will be done.

*however, due to being a) wigged out and b) exceedingly tired from chronic fatigue kicking in, I made more of a joke about it than anything, because I simply wasn't mentally equipped to make a big deal out of it at that stage and I headed back to the yard and went to bed shortly afterwards

« Reply #1747 on: 27 April, 2012, 09:31:43 pm »
I've had an utterly shit day at work, I was supposed to be clearing my desk & handing stuff over to a colleague for the next 2 weeks. Instead we were hit by escalation after rush job after complaint.
  >:( 

I know there's work I should have done, but didn't, so now I'm starting my holidays knowing I'll probably be moaned at when I get back  :(
On top of that I think I've got a sore throat starting as well   :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jakob

« Reply #1748 on: 28 April, 2012, 11:14:01 pm »
Looking at a 90+ hour work week and now on 20+ days with out a day off.
Yes, the film industry is soooo glamorous.
(I hate deadlines).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1749 on: 28 April, 2012, 11:27:32 pm »
Humm.
Am on my own this w/e with the kids.  Mrs. F is dealing with a family bereavement down south.

We have a long-standing commitment to a 50th birthday ceilidh this evening, so I trot along with the kids.

Where we meet up with a Dutch family we were friendly with some years back, when they lived here.
Their kid was a good friend of junior #2.  The kids had a get-together.
Came time to leave.

I'm ambushed:
"Oh, our kid was due to have a sleepover with you, didn't you know?"
No I bloody well didn't.
So now I've got a bunch of un-planned hassle.

Bah.