Author Topic: Inaccessible NAS  (Read 1199 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Inaccessible NAS
« on: 11 July, 2020, 08:52:44 pm »
I have a NAS, which I shall refer to as "ElGordo", because that is its name. During the startup of the various Windows boxen the drive letter Z: is supposed to be allocated to \\ElGordo\Public, but since two of them have updated themselves to Windows 10 v2004 they refuse to obey and claim:

"Z:\ is not accessible

The specified network name is no longer available"

And I then have to disconnect Z: by right-clicking it in Explorer or using "NET USE Z: /DELETE" and re-map the wretched thing manually, whereupon it works until the next reboot.  The drive can still be accessed from the webby admin interface and still behaves normally on the not-updated box.  The other NASen continue to behave normally on all systems.  Conclusion: something in the update has b0rked the drive mapping SCIENCE for this particular steam-powered Seagate Central.  The Internets have proved unhelpful, unless my Google-Fu is similarly b0rked.

Can Thee Panel suggest any avenues of fixation that one might explore, apart from "replace it with something a bit less steampunk"?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

iddu

• Are we there yet?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Re: Inaccessible NAS
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2020, 10:10:49 pm »
^^^ That.  And, just for the lols. Windows will continue to lose it from time to time, when you check, that box is still ticked.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2020, 01:53:33 am »
I did see the SMB thing during previous fiddling; it's showing as enabled on both affected boxes but I hadn't considered the possibility that it might be lying.  So:
  • Disable, restart, no Z:
  • Re-enable: restart, still no Z:
  • Map Z: to \\ip_address\Public instead of ElGordo, restart, still no Z:
  • Map V: to \\ElGordo\Public, restart, V: appears as expected
  • Map both V: and Z: to \\ElGordo\\Public, restart, V: and Z: both accessible
  • Remove mapping to V:, restart, no Z:  Accidentally tell it not to bother connecting W: to \\MRCREOSOTE\Public in process, utter Bad Swears.
  • Remove & remap Z: manually, try Network Reset as mentioned here, restart (which for no readily-apparent reason, requires five minutes of thumb-twiddling before taking place), wait for everything to calm down, and still no feckin' Z:
Conclusion: $SOMETHING has got its claws into the specific drive letter Z: and refuses to let go, but I'm buggered if I know what.  I suppose I shall have to put up with changing it permanently to V: and changing a shedload of batch files and missing one and breaking stuff.  A pox upon W Gates and the horse he rode in on >:(

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2020, 08:30:26 am »
So, I have done quite some investigation into this. TL;DR? My NAS box is now switched off.

First, drive mapping doesn't advance the quality of your life, fully conformed network paths are understood by W10, forcing a network map doesn't resolve the SMB1 issue. If Windows deigns to allow you to see the fileshare, you can use it however you like. Trouble is, the resolution of enabling SMB1 doesn't stick. Opening and changing the options works every time. Nbtstat shows the shares are visible, proving it is a microsoft thingy.

Have  look in the disk manager to see if there is a phantom drive assignment. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices is where assignments sit - standard health warning for fiddling with the registry

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2020, 01:15:35 pm »
Disk management on the afflicted laptop shows only the expected stuffs: two partitions on the internal SSD, an external HDD and the unlettered "For internal use only" gubbins that Microsith puts on there.

Registry shows entries for drive letters C through to H, which is more or less expected, plus one for P.  Which isn't.  Z absent.

To further plicken the thot, if I reboot with the box attempting to mount Z, then trying to access ElGordo from the "Network" bit in the left pane of Windows Exploder also doesn't work, though it does helpfully offer to run network diagnostics.  Which, natch, do nothing.  Reboot sans Z and ElGordo’s contents may be accessed from there as expected.  Setting up a Network Location pointing to \\ElGordo\Public does similar: "\\ElGordo\Public is not accessible.  Contact ur administrator.  Stop messing with things Man Was Not Meant To Know.  Srsly.  Put the mouse down and step away."

Mapping two drive letters to the same location is untidy but on the whole the "map V and Z" thing seems simplest as it won't require rejibbling umpteen batch files spread across three boxes.  A longer-term option is to pension off ElGordo altogether and replacing him with something newer, bigger and faster.  He's so amazingly primitive that AFAICT he doesn't even do gigabit ethernet and the last firmware update put out by Seagate was about five years ago.  PC World are knocking out a 4TB WD box for a hundred and fifty notes at the moment...

ian

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:16:44 am »
It's 2020, so why do drive letters still exist?

And never, ever, open B: which will remain inaccessible till you have, on hand, chalk to draw a pentacle, a Swindon virgin, black candles, and Latin to a comprehensive school level. And don't do it near carpet, you won't get the stains out in a hurry.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:45:55 am »
"Z:\ is not accessible

The specified network name is no longer available"

And I then have to disconnect Z: by right-clicking it in Explorer or using "NET USE Z: /DELETE" and re-map the wretched thing manually, whereupon it works until the next reboot.  The drive can still be accessed from the webby admin interface and still behaves normally on the not-updated box.

I get this occasionally (the NAS is often in sleep mode due to me being mean and liking a quiet life) and my simple quick fix is to use the web interface to wake it up wherupon the drive letter becomes recognised again.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:58:00 am »
It's 2020, so why do drive letters still exist?

Microsoft's fanatical devotion to backward-compatibility.  It's both impressive and useful, and responsible for some of the abject stupidity that makes Windows OSes infuriating to work with.

The Apple approach of throwing everything away and starting again with new technology that works properly has the opposite set of advantages and disadvantages, of course.

Meanwhile, in the *nix world, you get a heady mixture of decisions that date from the PDP10 era and occasional re-designs of entire subsystems that serve to make things more and more arcane as the years go on.

In the words of the Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie: Every OS sucks.  But Windows sucks and blows at the same time.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2020, 03:24:31 pm »
PC World have just knocked another tenner off the price of a 4TB WD NAS.  I should be collecting it tomorrow evening.  This has better fix the problem, or there will be MOAR Bad Swears.

Edit: Data copy underway.  Could take a while.  Also, new NAS mounts happily as Z: on laptop.  Old NAS mounts happily as V: on laptop.  Mr Larrington tolchocks gulliver against coffee table.

Edit 2: Data copy ~ 21 hours in and has only hung once so far.  Might be finished by this time tomorrow because lots of fiddly little files still to copy.  Why can't I change its name from "MYCLOUD-0TREYY" to "ElGordoV2", and why is the blinkenlight in the form of a three-inch white strip that can be seen from low-earth orbit?