Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628742 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1675 on: 22 April, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »
Basil:  You have missed BOTH rides this w/e due to the Black Dog feeling grumpy.
You've only gone for 3000 miles on my cycling logs, and you're falling behind already.
Sort yourself out!

*delivers virtual kick up arse to Basil*
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1676 on: 22 April, 2012, 11:07:13 pm »
*delivers virtual kick up arse to Basil*

Oh, is that what it was?
For some reason tonight, I decided to ride out and discover if there were any local roads in the Selly Oak/Northfield/King's Norton area that I'd never ridden down before.

12.5 miles of being lost which somehow  ::-) ended up at the Country Girl..
Thanks, Clarion.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1677 on: 22 April, 2012, 11:43:33 pm »
All roads lead to the Country Girl?

Jakob

« Reply #1678 on: 23 April, 2012, 01:08:25 am »
So, our company spends millions a new building and yet somehow forget about basic ergonomics and give us fixed desks that cannot be adjusted....and are 'tied' to 7 other desks, so you can't even just replace it with a different desk...Not clever...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1679 on: 23 April, 2012, 08:34:21 am »
So, our company spends millions a new building and yet somehow forget about basic ergonomics and give us fixed desks that cannot be adjusted....and are 'tied' to 7 other desks, so you can't even just replace it with a different desk...Not clever...

How do they justify this under the Equality Act 2010 and indeed Health and Safety legislation?  What will they do if a disabled person (and the definition of disabled can be wide if condition/issue lasts more than 1 yr)? 

If they don't have a workable plan they may be indirectly discriminating against disabled people.

I wish people would think sensibly about ergonomics.  Like how we have a disabled employee at our place sharing an office with 2 other people - neither who have the right ergo layout.  They wouldn't have done that to me cos I'd have had a fit (and management know to nix stupid ideas that involve moving me out of my current office cos it'd cost them £££ to replace the phoneline), but they've done it to this employee knowing they won't challenge it cos they don't "identify as disabled".

Bah!  Designers, all shiny no function!  And I bet the desk height is optimised for male employees too.  At my last 2 workplaces all the chairs were MANSIZED and hideous for me, I had to get them to order special teeny chair for "just on upper edge of petite me".

barakta

« Reply #1680 on: 23 April, 2012, 08:36:52 am »
Fucking joints, go back in and stop being all floppy and HURTY kthx BAI! 

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1681 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:35:55 am »
Bah!  Designers, all shiny no function!  And I bet the desk height is optimised for male employees too.  At my last 2 workplaces all the chairs were MANSIZED and hideous for me, I had to get them to order special teeny chair for "just on upper edge of petite me".

Absolutely. Non adjustable desks is a H&S fail. We have a new building in the works. Not quite sure how that will impact me (I may lose my office and be open plan with the rest) We did get the chance to review furniture and pass back comments, even got loaned various chairs to try.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1682 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:53:16 am »
The old "I think I'm a lesbian in a male body" is actually so old now that it's getting seriously offensive, particularly when the person saying it is actually serious.  Especially when he follows it up by "will you and your girlfriend have a threesome with me" and then PUTTING HIS HAND IN MY HAIR!

Hmmm, possibly almost a rant.  Definitely going down as the low-point to an otherwise absolutely awesome weekend!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1683 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:01:50 am »
Sounds way out of order at the very least. Harassment I'd say.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1684 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:26:23 am »
Yeeuch!
Getting there...

« Reply #1685 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:31:51 am »
Sounds like he'd benefit from a good elbow smash to the jaw.
:-[
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1686 on: 23 April, 2012, 11:03:58 am »
Or an offer to ease his anatomical problem by removing the excess organs.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1687 on: 23 April, 2012, 11:26:35 am »
I'm grumpy. And sleepy. Like a bear that wants to hibernate.

Not allowed caffeine until after I've been to the docs at 15:30. It's going to be a really long day.

why1040, send your 'acquaintance' this direction. I need something on which to take out my grump.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1688 on: 23 April, 2012, 12:19:14 pm »
The old "I think I'm a lesbian in a male body" is actually so old now that it's getting seriously offensive, particularly when the person saying it is actually serious.

I cured this in a friend of mine (who was undermining her new (cis male) partner's gender identity in order to cling her identity as a lesbian) by being all positive about her acceptance of trans people, in a mildly sarcastic way.  She eventually got the hint, stopped worrying and has even been heard to utter the b-word.

Especially when he follows it up by "will you and your girlfriend have a threesome with me" and then PUTTING HIS HAND IN MY HAIR!

Eeew   :hand:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1689 on: 23 April, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
The camp site I wanted to use over the June bank holiday weekend is fully booked.  :(  I'm now doubting whether I'll be able to find a decent place so 'close' to the date.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1690 on: 23 April, 2012, 03:18:47 pm »
Bloody swollen glands, bugger off! Rebelling are we? Just 'cos I made you consume lovely, fresh mountain air for the best part of a week.  Stoppit now.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1691 on: 23 April, 2012, 05:05:11 pm »

At least you could get a smaller chair...

I'm just enjoying imagining asking for some smaller skips at work so that I can reach to lift stuff into them without the aid of several upturned recycling boxes as improvised steps.  ;D

Still, climbing up the sides of them is giving me a better head for heights...

I find the same with tools though - trying to use some tin snips to cut tyres with, I struggled to reach across the handles when fully open. A range of tools with good leverage, but shorter reach would be useful, but designing tools for women generally seems to involve giving them pink handles....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1692 on: 23 April, 2012, 05:12:50 pm »
Meanwhile. to the tune of 'Favourite Things'

Windows in boxes, and torn up confetti
Half tins of baked beans and rancid spaghetti,
Non-standard boxes that simply don't fit.
These are a few of the things that are shit.

Paper and cardboard all mixed up together,
Chasing the rubbish in wet windy weather,
Beer left in bottles, that runs down your sleeves.
These are a few of recycler's pet peeves.

We're working on more verses and a chorus....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1693 on: 23 April, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »
The old "I think I'm a lesbian in a male body" is actually so old now that it's getting seriously offensive, particularly when the person saying it is actually serious.  Especially when he follows it up by "will you and your girlfriend have a threesome with me" and then PUTTING HIS HAND IN MY HAIR!

Hmmm, possibly almost a rant.  Definitely going down as the low-point to an otherwise absolutely awesome weekend!

:o

that's terrible.

I hope he had difficulty picking his teeth up with broken fingers.

« Reply #1694 on: 23 April, 2012, 05:34:00 pm »
number 2 son has just blown up his second engine, this is on top of the OH spending the day in hospital with suspected appendicitis she is now on her way home with lots of antibiotics ?? the bike I was biding on, on ebay turned out to be nicked and all this before lunch time,
aren't I lucky :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1695 on: 23 April, 2012, 06:03:45 pm »
number 2 son has just blown up his second engine, this is on top of the OH spending the day in hospital with suspected appendicitis she is now on her way home with lots of antibiotics ?? the bike I was biding on, on ebay turned out to be nicked and all this before lunch time,
aren't I lucky :facepalm:

Some people are trying to treat appendicitis with shedloads of Strong Antibiotics, rather than surgery.

Results of trials seem promising for some.

GWS FOH!

barakta

« Reply #1696 on: 23 April, 2012, 06:16:35 pm »

At least you could get a smaller chair...

For values of get...  In employer #1 I borrowed a spare one with a broken seat pan which kept sliding forward.  Something happened which meant my authorisation for mine was blocked for over a month cos some fucker didn't tick a box.  It only got unfucked when I complained and threatened to go off sick.  Chair then arrived a week later.

Employer 2 I was lent someone's chair while she was on maternity leave which is naughty cos she'd have had settings.  I don't think mine came through for several months and it got close to not having mine before maternity lady came back.  I may have threatened to steal a managers' one :D

None of the regular chairs at #1 or #2 were at all suitable, I got back pain while using them for more than an hour or a meeting's length.

At least in current workplace I had an OK chair to begin with and I got mine relatively quickly and no one messes with it!  Good thing really as I can spend 7 hours a day sat in the wretched thing.

Jakob

« Reply #1697 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:09:14 pm »

How do they justify this under the Equality Act 2010 and indeed Health and Safety legislation?  What will they do if a disabled person (and the definition of disabled can be wide if condition/issue lasts more than 1 yr)? 

If they don't have a workable plan they may be indirectly discriminating against disabled people.

Well, this is Canada, so that particular act wont work and there is room for extra desk (One guy already has a standing desk). It's more that we went from fully adjustable desks to non-adjustable ones that boggles my mind.
Our previous 'crew manager'  was great at making sure that the ergonomics was looked after, but she has resigned before of health reasons (unrelated) and I think they completely dropped the ball.

barakta

« Reply #1698 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:57:19 pm »
Ah fair enough.  I'd expect Canada's disability legislation to contain similar though - but that could be wishful thinking.  I only know a tiny bit about America and Australia's disability legislations.

It's a step backwards which is stupid, thoughtless and pointless. 

I had a client in recently who has had proper ergonomic set-up for their work for 6 months and they say the difference is *AMAZING* and they appreciated me pushing them to have a proper ergonomic assessment because it's allowed them to work twice as effectively and for twice the length of time.  It makes plain business sense for flexible and good ergonomics to be built into the new system.

Reminds me, to ensure I'm "in the loop" when our new offices are being designed for that perspective. 

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1699 on: 23 April, 2012, 11:00:44 pm »
Lungs now firmly back in "expire" mode.  *sigh*.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.